Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA - need some help in overcoming some hurdles

Moving to USA - need some help in overcoming some hurdles

Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA - need some help in overcoming some hurdles

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't have experience but US Immigration will not let you enter the US without a return ticket. The airline have to transport you back at their expense..that's the reason they will not sell you a one way ticket.

As I said before it is usually cheaper to buy a return ticket than a one way ticket.
You can get a one way ticket, but like you said, the airline has to pay to ship you back if you get booted, which is why they tend to be so silly, or they just chose not to offer it.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
No it wasn't a sale pitch, certainly in Oregon.

When we first did the insurance I only had the letter but the broker gave us the discount. Later the insurance premium went up because Farmers wanted something which showed the dates we were insured. When they were faxed copies of two insurance certificates to show both of us were insured drivers in the UK, the premium went back down in fact below what the broker had charged originally.

I tend to post facts on here I know from personal experience to be true not conjecture.
Still true that for most states it's just a sales pitch.

Up in Maine, having a license with the driving history of more than 6 years would put you having a clean history, which is one up from no history.

In Mass they'll treat having more than 6 years if your over 25 as someone with a clean history and not as a 16 year, which is one step up, but it's not that much of a saving.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

I put my house and car insurance with the same agent (for Allstate). His end of the bargain was to ensure I got credit for my UK driving history, proved by the counterpart, which has endorsements (or lack of) on it. I pay considerably less than would otherwise have been the case.

I needed my SSN (within a couple of weeks on arrival on L-1A) to get paid here. Depends on your payroll people as to how pernickety they are.

Good luck.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 5:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodacre
I am really curious about this. My wife received her work permit about two months ago and went into the Social Security place to get her SSN; they insisted on sending everything off to Homeland Security, and she has been waiting to begin work until she gets the SSN. If it's true that she can work *without* the SSN, that would be a big boost for us because we don't know how long we will have to wait for the SSN. (They said two months, but who knows how long it will be?) Many thanks for any help with this, and apologies for piggy-backing onto someone else's thread!
Have wifey read my post here, and the related thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...50&postcount=2
Old Jul 21st 2007, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
Have wifey read my post here, and the related thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...50&postcount=2
This is very, very helpful and, what's more, it is very good news. Thank you.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Mskills has a brilliant futureMskills has a brilliant futureMskills has a brilliant futureMskills has a brilliant futureMskills has a brilliant futureMskills has a brilliant futureMskills has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Motorskills
Hi all,

Great forum. (Posting on the missus' account, first time for yours truly, but I have lurked a bit).

We are set to move to Houston at the end of August, L1/L2 interviews in mid-August. My company's US legal bods have been smoothing that side of it for us, thank God.

1. We are in Houston this week, looking for rental accommodation, and are running into a bit of a Catch-22:

We can't get a bank account without a US address, and can't (easily) get a rental lease agreement without a bank account. (Money is not a problem, but the realtors don't work in cash for understandable safety reasons).

Any suggestions?
We can possibly use my boss' home address, but obviously could not prove residency (gas bills etc).

(I have read the recent thread on getting a bank account, some useful info there. Once we have an address we are looking forward to the SSN fight with the bank, thanks for posting the legal stuff )

Well sorting out the bank account was a doddle, we were lucky enough to be met by the branch manager who had clearly done this more than once, Houston being pretty popular for ex-pats of course; it was an absolute pleasure to work with him.

I used the branch of Wells Fargo just outside my office-to-be. Even got a special account - it even includes a savings account - as my company is a preferred customer! Got chequebooks immediately, cards will be held by the bank until we get back over there.

Sorting out the rental property was a bit harder. What I ended up doing was writing a cheque from my new account. As it happens I had to wait until I returned to the UK and wire-transferred funds into my brand-new, very-empty US account. That will take a couple of days to sort out, hopefully no issues.

What I possibly should have done was drawn a banker's draft against my credit card.

What I definitely should have done was confirm the Wells Fargo "Swiftbank" number - my UK bank needed that info to arrange the wire transfer.

2. When can I apply for an SSN? I need it before I start work, yes?
Thanks for the confirmations.

3. I have had a company car in the UK for the past few years, so don't have a no-claims history per se. Anything I can do there to reduce my initial insurance premium, or do I just have to bite the bullet? (Maybe I can get a letter from my company's insurers?)
Well it seems like it probably will make not one jot of difference, but hey, worth a shot.

4. I want to buy a one-way, flexible ticket to the US for the August move. I want to buy it now, i.e. ahead of receiving the L1 visa.

First response I got from the airline was that I have to be a US citizen in order to buy a one-way ticket. Anyone got any experience of that?

All replies gratefully received!
Motorskills
Well the one-way ticket WAS definitely cheaper, in fact it still is, about 300GBPpp cheaper. That's according to continental.com anyway.

I am having a hell of a time booking it though, I even went to the ticket desk at Houston and they struggled to see it.

I'll try my travel agent, see if they can sort out what is possible and what is not, but I don't have a real problem booking a round-trip ticket if necessary.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:20 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a return ticket and save the hassle. If you are buying a flexible ticket then the 2nd half is refundable so there you go, a round-about way to one-way.

If you enter with a valid VISA (not vwp) you can come with a one-way ticket but the airlines are planks of wood and since they often have to fund your return if your visa is shite then don't take the chance. There is no immigration law that says you can't enter on a one-way-ticket - it's BCIS's way of helping them determine intent to stay. What makes me laugh is that any one on a Visa Waiver, intending to overstay illegally would invest in a return ticket - so it's all a joke to inconvenience the people doing it legally.

Like it makes me laugh that they check my boarding pass at US security checkpoints upto 3 times now (in LA). How much of a JOKE is that. Do they think a terrorist will "forget" to print a boarding pass or when he does, he'll be stupid enough to print it with a name that doesn't match his fake Drivers license.....

And what's with me not being able to take an obviosuly near-empty rolled-up tube of toothpaste. Morons.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

big_fish is an unknown quantity at this point

My family & I came in on one-way tickets (LGW-IAH) on Continental last month. No problems booking or travelling, although there were done via work's travel company.

Be prepared for about an hour at immigration as they go through your paperwork, take copies etc (I'm on a L1a). Not what you need at the end of a long flight especially with a young family. I've been back to the UK since though and re-entry to the US was no problem.

I know you've had other responses on the SSN but for what it's worth I applied on June 21st and my card arrived last week. It's a waste of a few hours at the SS office but that's it. My company used a temporary no. to start payroll deductions/benefits etc in the interim.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 5:11 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You can get a one way ticket, but like you said, the airline has to pay to ship you back if you get booted, which is why they tend to be so silly, or they just chose not to offer it.
Er I got a one way ticket - no problem at all! So what's your beef?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 6:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
I didn't say you couldn't get them, I just said they tend to either not offer it, or make it more expensive to do so for the reasons already stated.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 7:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

hey - be nice to our Bob ............. or else!!!

Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
hey - be nice to our Bob ............. or else!!!

I'll second that...
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

So what's your beef?
Curtains .....
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:32 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Curtains .....
Drapes...