Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:34 pm
  #31  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Oz -> UK -> San Diego
Posts: 9,910
Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

The NHS is a recognized insurance provider for the purposes of Creditable Cover.

All I had was a letter from my doctor on the practice letterhead. It was stationery from the doctor's practice (practice name, address, doctors, etc.)

You could additionally provide a copy of your national insurance card. The law says that you must cooperate with their efforts to verify coverage.


Here's a sample letter that's similar to mine, but different in that I was born in another country.

"This is to certify that Ozzidoc (Date of Birth xxxxxxx) has been automatically covered by the NHS (National Health Service) from the date of her birth. The National Health Service is a public health plan established and maintained by the government of the United Kingdom. It provides comprehensive health care to all citizens of the United Kingdom. Ozzidoc, as a natural born citizen of the UK, has been continuously fully covered by this plan since birth."

Actually - continuously doesn't even matter - just the past 18 months.




***** With ongoing thanks to Tracy who has provided lots of guidance around this subject in the past!
Ozzidoc is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 12:36 pm
  #32  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Oz -> UK -> San Diego
Posts: 9,910
Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Hi all!

I'm fine. Crazy busy. We are having a belated 2nd birthday party for Millie this weekend. I'm in town every 4th - 6th week at the moment, so every minute is precious! I rotate into a different, calmer dept in a few weeks time, so you'll see more of me on here!

Hope all is well in the land of BE
Ozzidoc is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:32 pm
  #33  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: London
Posts: 9
UK_Lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc View Post
The NHS is a recognized insurance provider for the purposes of Creditable Cover.

All I had was a letter from my doctor on the practice letterhead. It was stationery from the doctor's practice (practice name, address, doctors, etc.)

You could additionally provide a copy of your national insurance card. The law says that you must cooperate with their efforts to verify coverage.


Here's a sample letter that's similar to mine, but different in that I was born in another country.

"This is to certify that Ozzidoc (Date of Birth xxxxxxx) has been automatically covered by the NHS (National Health Service) from the date of her birth. The National Health Service is a public health plan established and maintained by the government of the United Kingdom. It provides comprehensive health care to all citizens of the United Kingdom. Ozzidoc, as a natural born citizen of the UK, has been continuously fully covered by this plan since birth."

Actually - continuously doesn't even matter - just the past 18 months.




***** With ongoing thanks to Tracy who has provided lots of guidance around this subject in the past!
Did you have any medical cover at all to accompany the letter your Dr gave? So if NHS cover you did you pay any costs at all? Whom were they billed to?

Last edited by UK_Lad; Mar 23rd 2012 at 7:39 pm. Reason: Can't read
UK_Lad is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:47 pm
  #34  
 
N1cky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Google Town
Posts: 7,530
N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by UK_Lad View Post
Did you have any medical cover at all to accompany the letter your Dr gave? So if NHS cover you did you pay any costs at all? Whom were they billed to?
You've got the wrong end of the straw.

Ozzidoc is saying that she produced the letter to her insurance company to prove she had received continuous coverage in the UK up to the point of her move. Therefore, the insurance company couldn't refuse to insure her for not having coverage up to that point in her pregnancy.
N1cky is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:53 pm
  #35  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: London
Posts: 9
UK_Lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Maybe its because the private medical insurance is with UK company? It's axa/ppp international and i thought it would be fine to insure with them but in their terms and conditions they have 10 months waiting period and the representative i spoke to confirmed that.

So if i was to produce that letter to them along with mentioning HIPA do you think they will change their stance?
UK_Lad is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:56 pm
  #36  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,018
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by UK_Lad View Post
Maybe its because the private medical insurance is with UK company? It's axa/ppp international and i thought it would be fine to insure with them but in their terms and conditions they have 10 months waiting period and the representative i spoke to confirmed that.

So if i was to produce that letter to them along with mentioning HIPA do you think they will change their stance?
You're using a UK medical insurance company for coverage in the US? Why?
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 7:59 pm
  #37  
 
N1cky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Google Town
Posts: 7,530
N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by UK_Lad View Post
Maybe its because the private medical insurance is with UK company? It's axa/ppp international and i thought it would be fine to insure with them but in their terms and conditions they have 10 months waiting period and the representative i spoke to confirmed that.

So if i was to produce that letter to them along with mentioning HIPA do you think they will change their stance?
According to their website exclusions include:

If you have Standard cover or your company has not chosen this benefit option, routine pregnancy and childbirth.


http://www.axappphealthcare.co.uk/in...ons-exclusions

So you probably need to speak to your company and tell them to arrange cover, or it's a no go. IMO you would have to be mental to move while pregnant with no insurance.
N1cky is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:03 pm
  #38  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: London
Posts: 9
UK_Lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
You're using a UK medical insurance company for coverage in the US? Why?
Im not using them yet but i enquired as they provided private medical insurance to the company that i work for. So if its best to use a US company then which company or policy will allow a letter from the NHS and use it in conjunction with HIPAA?
UK_Lad is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:06 pm
  #39  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 83,018
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by UK_Lad View Post
Im not using them yet but i enquired as they provided private medical insurance to the company that i work for. So if its best to use a US company then which company or policy will allow a letter from the NHS and use it in conjunction with HIPAA?
The US company will probably already have group insurance coverage with a US healthcare insurance company. If so they will accept the letter from your GP stating that you and your wife have been continually covered by the NHS for all medical treatment.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:07 pm
  #40  
 
N1cky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Google Town
Posts: 7,530
N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by UK_Lad View Post
Im not using them yet but i enquired as they provided private medical insurance to the company that i work for. So if its best to use a US company then which company or policy will allow a letter from the NHS and use it in conjunction with HIPAA?
Who provides your companies group medical insurance? You need to speak to them.

Private health insurance fees are astronomical.
N1cky is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:08 pm
  #41  
Deep in the woods of CT
 
Nutmegger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,071
Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by UK_Lad View Post
Maybe its because the private medical insurance is with UK company? It's axa/ppp international and i thought it would be fine to insure with them but in their terms and conditions they have 10 months waiting period and the representative i spoke to confirmed that.
Are you setting up this insurance coverage personally? An individual policy will exclude you for a waiting period, but a company policy will not. Your wife's coverage should be with the US company's existing health insurance carrier in the US, set up by their HR people.
Nutmegger is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:46 pm
  #42  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: London
Posts: 9
UK_Lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
Are you setting up this insurance coverage personally? An individual policy will exclude you for a waiting period, but a company policy will not. Your wife's coverage should be with the US company's existing health insurance carrier in the US, set up by their HR people.
Ok so let me confirm, i should contact the HR people in the US to enrol my wife on to their health policy and then provide them with NHS letter. Should the letter work for any US medical policy or are some exempt/not intrested in NHS letter?
UK_Lad is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:58 pm
  #43  
 
N1cky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Google Town
Posts: 7,530
N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by UK_Lad View Post
Ok so let me confirm, i should contact the HR people in the US to enrol my wife on to their health policy and then provide them with NHS letter. Should the letter work for any US medical policy or are some exempt/not intrested in NHS letter?
Correct. The letter should work for any Group US medical policy. They cannot impose a waiting period or deny coverage for a pre-existing condition (pregnancy) when you have been covered up to date.
N1cky is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:15 pm
  #44  
Deep in the woods of CT
 
Nutmegger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,071
Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
Correct. The letter should work for any Group US medical policy. They cannot impose a waiting period or deny coverage for a pre-existing condition (pregnancy) when you have been covered up to date.
+1!
Nutmegger is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:21 pm
  #45  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: London
Posts: 9
UK_Lad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to USA on L1-B With Pregnant Wife

Originally Posted by N1cky View Post
Correct. The letter should work for any Group US medical policy. They cannot impose a waiting period or deny coverage for a pre-existing condition (pregnancy) when you have been covered up to date.
Great! So on monday i'll get my company to contact their US counterparts and see what they can do. You all have been a great help! I'll let you know how i get on. Meanwhile, i'll appreciate if you guys can carry on providing advice/hints & tips.
UK_Lad is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.