Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA, and I am pregnant

Moving to USA, and I am pregnant

Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:52 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA, and I am pregnant

Originally Posted by made of kent
maybe just try the US embassy, okay they seem cold on the outside, but once within... a years mat leave is a lot of money, I had mine when it was 6 months paid/6months not, but with the occupational mat pay of 90% and ord' mat pay for some reason I was earning about £70 a month more, then for several months more not paying pension, I got tax back, then my employers realised, after I pointed it out and they didn't believe me, I was accruing holidays? (8 weeks).
In the event of 1 years mat leave 6 months paid I took my holidays that I had accrued returning to work 4 days before my twins 1st birthday, I had also (thank you SVT) been on bed rest for 4 months before their birth on full pay (sick) as the old condition forced me to, I only lost 2 months wages in 15 months, and even then I had the tax back).
I was a F grade working 30 hours, no unsocial, £30K pro ra, so about £22-23K
An employer as I left the UK legally (may 2008) can not force you to take mat leave until 36 weeks and only then for a pregnancy related condition, not a cold bad or bad back,or anything you have had previously.
Do you work for the NHS? as I did? or another government employer? the only sting in the tale, I found out was as I returned to work I had to, in order to keep my pension up to date, pay £700 for the time of unpaid mat leave.
as for paying it back talk to your HR, many companies, it depends on circumstances, as in you have used us, NHS rarely does goes for the money, but sometime does!
Oh I paid the pension, you don't have to, but depending on your years, it's worth it, 14 for me at the time.
And yes ,
you are allowed to moan about the NHS and if benefits you must! but remember Nurses in the US earn a lot more and that is in you insurance! and also for me, it was they only thing that kept me working 19 years in the nhs experience and all that. (ICU qualified and Occupational Health) Head hunted many times by the private sector!...just don't give a shit about dollies..and that is a whole nother post! ( my time in private health care UK. be afraid be very afraid! not going back there!)
just realised a couple of mistakes, I was full time at that point, went part time after mat leave (30 hours), and also the bed rest for SVT got kind of over powered by SPD, but because my heart condition kicked in before, my employer couldn't do anything about the symphasis pubis stuff as I was already on bed rest.
I hadn't had SVT for 5 years before pregnancy, and even before pregnancy, when first diagnosed, I had been offered surgery but I had learnt to manage it (flecanide) risk of pace maker and only at that point a small chance for people like me actually being better, gave it a wide birth,(night workers suffer more!) .
anyhow (sic) I took the surgery, incase I ever got pregnant again (2 days before my boys first birthday), painful, as the reg took the wrong route through the sub clavian (spelt wrong) (bless) and that was the worst point, shoulder was killing killing me for weeks!, I was back at work in 2 weeks and bit short time that week, next week, fine. glad I did it and can't give guy enough praise.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:56 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Guys and St Thomas hospital! tit
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

When is your baby due?

What will you do if the baby arrives early eg 26-30 weeks, before you've left for the US? The baby will be in hospital for a long time, you will be stuck in the UK, and you will have another person needing a visa.

Just a thought...
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my tuppence worth....

I'm guessing that your baby is due around Januray/Feb next year if you've just found out. The earliest you can take maternity leave is 11 weeks before the beginning of the week when your baby's due, so if that were the end of Feb say, then you could stop work mid December, add on your annual leave and you could leave at the start of November. I'm guessing here though as you haven't said when you are due.

As others have said it would also be prudent to get full copies of your medical records, scans, blood work, although I'm sure they'll do it all again over here. Get a letter on headed paper from your doctor saying that you are fit to fly and with your due date, just in case you have any trouble at the airport. They also like to do VE's during pregnancy here, personally I'd tell them to shove off on that one

If it were me, I'd just leave with my husband if the gap was going to be more than a week or two between his leaving and you leaving. A transatlantic move is not to be taken lightly and is immensely stressful, I don't think I'd want to do it at an advanced stage of pregnancy, but that's just me.

Last edited by The Horticulturalist; Jun 21st 2009 at 2:21 am. Reason: due date thingy!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about maternity leave and the like, but don't they (whoever) stop paying you once you no longer live in the UK?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 4:29 am
member of little note

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Here's my tuppence worth....

I'm guessing that your baby is due around Januray/Feb next year if you've just found out. The earliest you can take maternity leave is 11 weeks before the beginning of the week when your baby's due, so if that were the end of Feb say, then you could stop work mid December, add on your annual leave and you could leave at the start of November. I'm guessing here though as you haven't said when you are due.

As others have said it would also be prudent to get full copies of your medical records, scans, blood work, although I'm sure they'll do it all again over here. Get a letter on headed paper from your doctor saying that you are fit to fly and with your due date, just in case you have any trouble at the airport. They also like to do VE's during pregnancy here, personally I'd tell them to shove off on that one

If it were me, I'd just leave with my husband if the gap was going to be more than a week or two between his leaving and you leaving. A transatlantic move is not to be taken lightly and is immensely stressful, I don't think I'd want to do it at an advanced stage of pregnancy, but that's just me.
me either, they don't in a lot of states have midwifes, so it very medical! and they tend to be invasive? maybe to justify their fees? and get this in my state at least circumcision is on males is considered part of the job??WTF?? I have meet at least 6 women here who said they where not even consulted on this? and about 10 who never even thought about their sons circ "as it is normal" and again not consulted?
what ever sex you are carrying stay in the UK at least you will get choices, midwife/doctor unless you need a doctor, in which case listen, I had to have a doctor but I got a great midwife as well.
On and on the whole circ debate? if there is even one? I have spent a year here saying to docs, NO, No and No again! my boy are four, they are not being circ unless there is a proper medical reason.
Oh Ozz doc replyed before I finished, please read that! I haven't yet but she is very good
Old Jun 21st 2009, 4:31 am
member of little note

where di oz doc go? my thing said she had replied? is it playing up?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

where di oz doc go? my thing said she had replied? is it playing up?
Maybe it was a karma message and not a notification of a reply...?

Happy Pregnancy OP
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

me either, they don't in a lot of states have midwifes, so it very medical! and they tend to be invasive? maybe to justify their fees? and get this in my state at least circumcision is on males is considered part of the job??WTF?? I have meet at least 6 women here who said they where not even consulted on this? and about 10 who never even thought about their sons circ "as it is normal" and again not consulted?
what ever sex you are carrying stay in the UK at least you will get choices, midwife/doctor unless you need a doctor, in which case listen, I had to have a doctor but I got a great midwife as well.
On and on the whole circ debate? if there is even one? I have spent a year here saying to docs, NO, No and No again! my boy are four, they are not being circ unless there is a proper medical reason.
Oh Ozz doc replyed before I finished, please read that! I haven't yet but she is very good
Well, my kids were born in the UK so I've no personal experience of the system but, I have some prior knowlege having read widely on the subject and from my American friends.

My boys are not circumcised, If there was a valid medical reason to do it then I would certainly consider it, but as it stands there doesn't seem to be one, it seems to be a cultural thing.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:18 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

on the mothers forum i use - the question as to circ or not does very much seem to be presonal preference. some very much for it, some very much against. My boys were born in the uk - so were not done and last baby born here was a girl (but had she been a boy she would have been left intact here too).
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MsElui
on the mothers forum i use - the question as to circ or not does very much seem to be presonal preference. some very much for it, some very much against. My boys were born in the uk - so were not done and last baby born here was a girl (but had she been a boy she would have been left intact here too).
I'm guessing that a lot might depend on whether Dad has been circumcised or not , but it's not the kind of thing you bring up in conversation over dinner, so I don't really know
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I did lots of research on the circumcision question when I got pregnant with my first Son (21 yrs ago) I talked to midwifes, Dr's, anyone that I thought might be able to give me a good reason to do it...apart from the 'cleanliness' issue, which I didn't think was a valid reason to slice that part of my Son, I couldn't find any medical reason at all.

My Sons are 21 and 16 now, both of them perfectly happy with their 'uncut' manhoods
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

I haven't read through all the posts. But check that your husbands Medical Insurance covers Maternity!. I would try and get a copy of the policy emailed to you.

Also congratulations!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all

Hi,

We were in a similar predicament. My wife was 32 weeks pregnant when we moved to the US. Our daughter is now 4 weeks old and we are so glad we had the baby in the US. We were able to prepare the house and then just concentrate on the baby rather than settle in and deal with a new born (and 3yo!)

First of all, as other posters mention, make sure you're pregnancy is covered by your husbands health insurance, otherwise have the baby in the UK. My policy covered pre-existing conditions.

Secondly, get a good OB/GYN with recommendations from your husbands work colleagues.

In terms of flying, Delta have NO restrictions. You can fly on your due date if you wish. Crazy I know! However they also fly to nearly ever major city (via a hub) Delta Pregnancy Rules

Hope that helps
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough

I haven't read all the answers just the OP post but can honestly tell you : do what you can to have this baby in the US. You will save yourself a lot of problems later on. It may cost you for all the health care here and stuff but you will save on getting the right visa/residency for that baby later.
Congatulations!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.