Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA on H1B Visa

Moving to USA on H1B Visa

Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Hsd17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to USA on H1B Visa

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and i'm just after a bit of information from people with a bit more experience in moving abroad.

I currently work in London as an Accountant and hold an Accountancy and Finance degree.

I'm looking at moving to The states in about 8-12 months. I have familiarised myself with the H1B visa and what its all about and it seems like the best route for me.

However, how would I go about trying to find an employer that hires H1B applicants in the field I would like to work in (finance). Would it be as simple as travelling to the US and applying for job?

Also is there a cut off period in which the employer would have to apply for the visa?

Any infomation would be grateful.

Thanks
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA on H1B Visa

Originally Posted by Hsd17
Would it be as simple as travelling to the US and applying for job?
Yes, it really is that simple. Finding a job with a company willing to sponsor you though... well, good luck. There are, literally, thousands of unemployed financial experts already in the US who can start work tomorrow if asked, and who don't need sponsoring - which, BTW, will cost the employer several thousand $$. I'll note that most of those people already have an MBA and CPA qualificiations. Unless you have superior qualifications, it's not likely to happen.

Also is there a cut off period in which the employer would have to apply for the visa?
There are some H-1B visas still available. There is no fixed cutoff date AFAIK.

Ian
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

H1's at the moment are still up for grabs. Last fiscal year they lasted into around Feb this year I think?

Employer applies for one in April and you can start work in Oct.

Your UK qualifications won't really mean particularly much over here.

Unless you've got niche skills, chances realistically are slim. Best bet would be a company transfer with with niche skills or specific company knowledge. That would be the L1 visa.

Anything other than the visa would just be fluff right now. Why that particular location?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

I recon my skills are probably the norm, dont really have anything niche to offer.

Truthfully this still won't deter me. I would rather try and fail, than to never have tried and always wonder.

Originally Posted by Bob
Why that particular location?
If you mean why the states. Well I've always liked the country when I've visited. I know visiting is always different from actually living in a country.

I also have two friends that currently live in LA and absolutely love it and have been saying that I should move over. So I'd like to give it a try.

My current work place has office in america and I have looked into the L1 visa's, however do you not have to be with the company for a year before you can move?

They will only offer position to people in the UK if there are vacancies abroad. I'm quite gutted because there's a position going in their San Francisco office as we speak.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't saying you shouldn't give it a go...just be realistic, it's going to be a hard sell unless you've got niche skills.

Put it this way, would you if you were the employer spend thousands on a visa, potentially thousands more to move someone internationally, for a position they would have no qualifications for, and would potentially not be able to start straight away over someone who is local and knows the local job and can start straight away? That's what you have to over come.

Pick up niche skills or get yourself squared away into a position that could lead to a company transfer. Now you know what you need to try and do to get you where you want, you'll have a much better chance of success.

As for the L1, yes you need to be employed for a least 1 year in the last 3 to be eligible. You're also in a much better situation in a L1 visa than if you were in a H1B visa.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I recon my skills are probably the norm, dont really have anything niche to offer.

Truthfully this still won't deter me. I would rather try and fail, than to never have tried and always wonder.

If you mean why the states. Well I've always liked the country when I've visited. I know visiting is always different from actually living in a country.

I also have two friends that currently live in LA and absolutely love it and have been saying that I should move over. So I'd like to give it a try.

My current work place has office in america and I have looked into the L1 visa's, however do you not have to be with the company for a year before you can move?

They will only offer position to people in the UK if there are vacancies abroad. I'm quite gutted because there's a position going in their San Francisco office as we speak.
I'm an accountant out of an office in LA. Last year when we recruiting for a Staff Accountant, with very basic skills we had around 1,500 applicants, a good third of these were from people far too qualified, ex CFO's...

My job was advertised on Monster last year for 2 days, until I decided to work from home instead. In that time there were around 400 applicants.

When I first moved out here 4 years ago, it took me 6 months and countless applications to even get an interview.

No-one in LA in Finance is going to offer you a job and sponser you for a visa. You also need to look into if you would qualify for a L visa even if your current company were prepared to transfer you, not sure you would meet the criteria. Sorry don't mean to be blunt, good luck.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies guys. Its much appreciated.

I'm going to have a word with my work place to see if its possible for a tranfers some time down the line.

We currently had a guy that worked in our Switzerland office that has recently moved with the company to the US so its not impossible, but will get more info from my company.

What's the cost of general living like over there? It cant be any more expensive than living in central London surely?

Last edited by Hsd17; Aug 1st 2011 at 8:27 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

What's the cost of general living like over there? It cant be any more expensive than living in central London surely?
Depending on where you are in the US, where you're mentioned, yes it is. Don't forget to factor in medical insurance costs etc.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

I wouldn't even think about a job that doesn't offer medical.

I know about the costs of hospitals. When i was in Las Vegas my cousin had an allergic reaction to something, we had to go to the hospital and they pretty much charged 300 Dollars to see him and give him a piriton tablet! Luckily we had travel insurance and didn't pay for it.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:59 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't even think about a job that doesn't offer medical.

I know about the costs of hospitals. When i was in Las Vegas my cousin had an allergic reaction to something, we had to go to the hospital and they pretty much charged 300 Dollars to see him and give him a piriton tablet! Luckily we had travel insurance and didn't pay for it.
Even when your job offers health insurance, you still have to pay a contribution every month. Ours is around $300 a month for a family of 3, you then still pay a co-pay for doctor visits...

As for cost of living, depends what part of LA you would be in. It varies greatly. Does your company actually have offices in LA or just SF?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband works in LA most of the time (although he lives in Phoenix). He rents a very tiny, old, 1-bedroom, 1-bathroom apartment in West Hollywood. For rent and utilities he pays about $1,500 a month. He does not own a car, so no car expenses. He's covered on my health insurance, so no insurance costs. It costs him $80 round trip to go by taxi to the airport for each of his trips home to Phoenix (about once a month or so). He buys groceries and eats out, but I'm not sure how much he pays for that.

Not sure how that compares with central London. And of course, different areas of LA can have different expenses. He had to live in West Hollywood because it was within walking distance of all his clients...since he didn't drive. The past few years, with the recession, he's had to go further afield to find new clients, so now rides the bus to Westwood a lot.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to have a word with my work place to see if its possible for a tranfers some time down the line.

We currently had a guy that worked in our Switzerland office that has recently moved with the company to the US so its not impossible, but will get more info from my company.

Your friends might just be boasting when they say they love it here. I wouldn't try to move for that reason.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

From what you've said a transfer may be your best option. Why don't you wait until you've been with them for a year then try for a L1 visa?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
From what you've said a transfer may be your best option. Why don't you wait until you've been with them for a year then try for a L1 visa?
That's what I'm going to do. I quite like the company I work for, so it would be a bonus If I was able to transfer to the states.

Just want to say thank you again to everybody for the information.

Might even give the green card lottery a go, seeing as its free
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Might even give the green card lottery a go, seeing as its free
Are you sure you're eligible to enter? Were you or your parents born in a qualifying country?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.