British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to USA, Driving licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-usa-driving-licence-526035/)

patemaan Apr 1st 2008 1:27 pm

Moving to USA, Driving licence

hi all,

I would like to know if my uk driving licence(with pic) will suffice temporarily or will i need to get an International Driving Licence.

Also moving to Dallas, can anyone tell me what i need to do inorder to read up and take the USA driving test.

One more thing, I was told if I get a TX licence and move to another state will i need to redo my test again? - I thought once you get a USA licence the laws are the same across the USA. anyone confirm

thankyou

PM;)

Bill_S Apr 1st 2008 2:31 pm

Re: Moving to USA, Driving licence

That International thing is just a translation of your home country's license. Since a UK license is in English already, don't bother. You can use your UK license temporarily. For info on how to get a Texas license, see the site of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

As for what happens when you move to another state, it depends. 50 states, 50 sets of rules. Get accustomed to that concept, because it's going to come up a lot.

lapin_windstar Apr 1st 2008 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by patemaan (Post 6142447)
I was told if I get a TX licence and move to another state will i need to redo my test again? - I thought once you get a USA licence the laws are the same across the USA.

AFAIK, once you have a US license, if you move from one US state to another, you can exchange your old state's license (and car registration, and insurance...) for a new one without sitting a test. Most states' DMV websites have a section that's called something like "Moving to Texas" or whatever.

There are probably exceptions - nothing ever seems to be for certain!

wtkp0u Apr 1st 2008 2:58 pm

will i need to get an International Driving Licence.

hahahaha. Sorry. Chances are a passport wouldn't be recognised as an official document let alone an "international" driving licence.

As others have said, most states you can drive on your furn licence for 90 days or similar, then when moving states you can swap for the new state with a written test.

lisa67 Apr 1st 2008 3:10 pm

Having a UK driving license can work to your advantage if being stopped by the police !!! There is a mock test on the Texas driving website (google texas driving laws) that will give you some idea of the questions they ask...all multiple choice. If you change State it depends on their laws whether you need to re-sit a test as driving laws slightly vary....you just have to go with the flow ! :) If you have any more questions about Texas feel free to pm me.

Jerseygirl Apr 1st 2008 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 6142860)
Having a UK driving license can work to your advantage if being stopped by the police !!! There is a mock test on the Texas driving website (google texas driving laws) that will give you some idea of the questions they ask...all multiple choice. If you change State it depends on their laws whether you need to re-sit a test as driving laws slightly vary....you just have to go with the flow ! :) If you have any more questions about Texas feel free to pm me.

Not if you've exceeded the time allowance to drive on a UK license. Once the cop runs your details through his computer...you're stuffed...ask Ray.

lisa67 Apr 1st 2008 3:14 pm

I did post it a bit tongue in cheek..tongue is still there but I'm now dribbling all over my computer !:rofl:

Leyther Apr 1st 2008 3:25 pm

hi all,

I would like to know if my uk driving licence(with pic) will suffice temporarily or will i need to get an International Driving Licence.

Also moving to Dallas, can anyone tell me what i need to do inorder to read up and take the USA driving test.

One more thing, I was told if I get a TX licence and move to another state will i need to redo my test again? - I thought once you get a USA licence the laws are the same across the USA. anyone confirm

thankyou

PM;)

Some states allow you to use your foriegn drivers license for 90 days (this is the case in Colorado) while some states it is limited to 30 days, before you are required to have a state's license in order to legally drive.

As the others have mentioned, check the website for the Texas DMV.

An international drivers license is quite simply just a translation of the orginal license and since your U.K. license is already in English, obtaining one is just a waste of time and money.

With regards to redo-ing your test again if you move states, this varies between states. Some allow you to just hand over your license in exhange for theirs without having to re-take any tests, while other states you will have to retake the tests in order to secure the license. However, it is my understanding that if your license expires and you move states then you are required to re-take all the tests regardless.

lofty79 Apr 1st 2008 5:25 pm

hi all,

thankyou

PM;)

You have 12 months with an out-of-country license in Texas, according to this;

Out-of-Country Driver License

1) How long can I drive with an out-of-country driver license?

Generally, a person 18 to 75 years of age with a valid out-of-country driver license in their possession may drive a private, non-commercial motor vehicle in the State of Texas for up to one year from date of entry into the United States, if their home country has reciprocity with the U.S.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis..._dl_id.htm#q51

Insurance will be very expensive without a Tx license though.

Bob Apr 1st 2008 5:34 pm

no offense, but surely you must have noticed the millions of driving threads already up? always worth having a quick search :)

patemaan Apr 1st 2008 5:59 pm

Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies, Another question :

I read on this site a while back that some insurance companies accept/take into consideration british "no claims bonus" record.
if i present this to them will someone like farmers insurance cut me some slack?

PM :confused:

Bob Apr 1st 2008 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by patemaan (Post 6143582)
Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies, Another question :

I read on this site a while back that some insurance companies accept/take into consideration british "no claims bonus" record.
if i present this to them will someone like farmers insurance cut me some slack?

PM :confused:

No, they won't and if they do, it's a selling pitch, also mentioned in various threads :)

Rete Apr 1st 2008 6:10 pm

Driver's Licenses and the requirements for sitting the test and taking the road test vary from State to State when converting your foreign country license to a US State's Driver's License.

As well, the requirements needed to show your lawful residency in the US and in the state you have moved to varies from State to State as well.

hi all,

thankyou

PM;)

Leyther Apr 1st 2008 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 6142860)

I appologise for going O/T -

I just took the Ca, Mock test for sh!ts and giggles and found the following two questions rather amusing, or the answers to them anyway.

The first one was:

You are driving on a freeway posted for 65 MPH. The traffic is traveling at 70 MPH. You may legally drive:
a) 75 MPH or less.
b) 70 MPH or less.
c) 65 MPH or less.

I checked answer C - which was correct

Then the 2nd question was:

When you are merging onto the freeway, you should be driving:
a) At or near the same speed as the traffic on the freeway.
b) 5 to 10 MPH slower than the traffic on the freeway.
c) The posted speed limit for traffic on the freeway.

So of course I checked C - in corralation with the prevous queston. Turned out to be wrong. The answer was A.

Which kind of puzzled me. If the traffic for example was traveling 75MPH in a 65MPH zone and you then did 75MPH (which according to the answer to question 2 is the 'correct' thing to do) would that then be illegal according to the previous question? Or am I missing something? :confused:

Obviously I understand that in speed related terms, if the traffic is traveling 75MPH, then I would have to be traveling at, at least the same speed or I would never be able to join the freeway unless there was a huge gap or I just forced my way on - but all that is beside point.

mumof4 Apr 1st 2008 7:35 pm

From what I've seen of driving in Arizona (!) you have to forget everything you learned in the UK in order to get around here. I'm sure it's totally different from state to state.