British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to USA, artist-wise (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-usa-artist-wise-769236/)

teck Aug 23rd 2012 10:49 am

Moving to USA, artist-wise

Hello all,
I am 27 years old photographer and my girlfriend is 25 years old painter.
We would like to move to San Francisco.

Can anyone tell me what options do we have?

ian-mstm Aug 23rd 2012 11:03 am

Re: Moving to USA, artist-wise

Originally Posted by teck (Post 10242233)

Short version: you currently have no options; there is no visa for you.

Long version: Once one of you reaches the top of the food chain in your respective fields, you might be eligible for an O-1 visa. You'll probably need to be married if both of you want to go, because it's unlikely you'll both get a visa on your own.

Start here, then here. Read it all, including the links... then come back and ask questions that are, with all due respect, more realistic.

If you get a visa, you can move wherever you want. The trick is getting the visa... everything else is easy by comparison.

Ian

penguinsix Aug 23rd 2012 11:32 am

Hi

The links above will walk you through the various options. You haven't told us much about your qualifications or experiences or other possible ties to the US (brothers / sisters in the US??) but generally speaking it's probably not likely. The rules are very complex and designed to basically keep people OUT rather than make it easy for people to come in.

The links listed will let you run through the various options. If you see one that looks promising, feel free to let us know and we can give you a better estimate on your chances and the process you'll need to undertake.

Good luck.

Noorah101 Aug 23rd 2012 3:06 pm

Hello all,
I am 27 years old photographer and my girlfriend is 25 years old painter.

In the artistic world, it seems like people go for an O-1 visa. But you have to have exceptional skills and be able to document your high-profile work.

Rene

Manc Aug 23rd 2012 3:07 pm

you have the option to go there on holiday

Bob Aug 23rd 2012 6:58 pm

Unless you're both US citizens, or world famous, your chances are realistically going to be slim to none, especially moving together, unless you're married.

Could always dump each other and go match.com I guess.