Reload this Page >

Moving to USA and antidepressants

Moving to USA and antidepressants

Old Aug 22nd 2015, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Luiceur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to USA and antidepressants

Hi all,

We are thinking on moving to Berkeley but I am currently taking antidepressants. I have no idea how things work there since in the UK antidepressants are drugs included in the NHS. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If you have to pay for them in America, I guess they will have a very high price and health insurances may not want to pay for them since it is a pre-condition, am I right?

I would appreciate any help here.
Thanks!
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 4:32 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA and antidepressants

Originally Posted by Luiceur
Hi all,

We are thinking on moving to Berkeley but I am currently taking antidepressants. I have no idea how things work there since in the UK antidepressants are drugs included in the NHS. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If you have to pay for them in America, I guess they will have a very high price and health insurances may not want to pay for them since it is a pre-condition, am I right?

I would appreciate any help here.
Thanks!
Do you already have a job and visa lined up, if not then your question is a moot point because that is something you would have to worry about only if you did get a visa.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I'd have a job. At the moment I do not know the details of salary and visa since it has not been formally offered yet.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 4:43 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luiceur
If you have to pay for them in America, I guess they will have a very high price and health insurances may not want to pay for them since it is a pre-condition, am I right?

ObamaCare eliminated pre-existing conditions in 2014. No more pre-existing conditions means you can’t be denied coverage, charged more, or denied treatment based on health status.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

God bless Obama!
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 5:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
ObamaCare eliminated pre-existing conditions in 2014. No more pre-existing conditions means you can’t be denied coverage, charged more, or denied treatment based on health status.
Doesn't mean that insurance has to be cheap though...

And cost of the drugs will all depend on the insurance offered by the employer.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 6:25 pm
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to pay something out of pocket for your meds. How much depends on what it is. Shop around its a free market and don't be surprised if it's 100 bucks a month or more
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 7:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Some drugs are really really cheap. The NHS largely insulates people from even knowing what the cost of most drugs is. If you go to goodrx.com you can search for the price of prescription medications at different pharmacies in your area, and the difference between the price at different pharmacies can be huge. I was looking at the cost of a common antibiotic recently, and the price of x tablets varied from less than $20 to around $150.

So, even if you have to have ongoing prescriptions, it is still quite possible that you will be find you could save money by buying high deductible insurance, and if you do that you can also use pre-tax money from a Health Savings Account to pay for your prescriptions.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 22nd 2015 at 9:24 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

The antidepressants I'm taking are a $4 generic at Walmart....there are tons of $4 prescriptions at Walmart and Target....
You can find an online list of $4 generics at Walmart....Of course, you'll need a doctor to prescribe them.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 10:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Some drugs are really really cheap. The NHS largely insulates people from even knowing what the cost of most drugs is. If you go to goodrx.com you can search for the price of prescription medications at different pharmacies in your area, and the difference between the price at different pharmacies can be huge. I was looking at the cost of a common antibiotic recently, and the price of x tablets varied from less than $20 to around $150.
Wegmans do all antibiotics for free, which is great if you have one around.

Shopping around for pharmacies is a bit of a chore in MA though as you have to designate one with the doctors and they shoot them the prescription direct and you go pick up, so you kind of need to shop around first before getting the prescription done.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 11:06 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Shopping around for pharmacies is a bit of a chore in MA though as you have to designate one with the doctors and they shoot them the prescription direct and you go pick up, so you kind of need to shop around first before getting the prescription done.
I don't shop around beforehand -I think my doctors must think I'm a tyrant...

They do send the prescription to a local pharmacy but if it's more than my low co-pay then I ask if there is a cheaper generic available, if there is, then the pharmacist will call and ask the dr to re-send the script with the cheaper generic. If there isn't a generic then I get out my smartphone and look on the sites already mentioned to see if I can get it cheaper elsewhere. If I can, then I phone the dr and ask them to re-send the script there.

With 3 kids, one on really really expensive acne meds I have saved a small fortune this way.

Costco is good too. Especially for the dog stuff like heartworm.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 11:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Wegmans do all antibiotics for free, which is great if you have one around. ......
We don't have Wegmans, but I did see one local pharmacy (chain) that does at least some antibiotics for free down here too.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't used it yet, but our new health insurance appears to want us to use CVS as a preferred prescription provider. But I imagine that's just if the insurers are likely to be picking up the tab anyway; if it's within the deductible stage, then surely it's my problem if I want to go elsewhere and possibly overpay?
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 12:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
I haven't used it yet, but our new health insurance appears to want us to use CVS as a preferred prescription provider. But I imagine that's just if the insurers are likely to be picking up the tab anyway; if it's within the deductible stage, then surely it's my problem if I want to go elsewhere and possibly overpay?
Our insurance in CareMark...which is CVS.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 12:36 am
Banned

doconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond reputedoconthemove has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

you sure all wegmans do that as a rule? hardly acts as an incentive to cut usage!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.