Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA

Moving to USA

Old Nov 13th 2019, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA

Originally Posted by magpies1862
In what way i'm i in a better position, because my employer is part based located in the US?
Yes. Without that you would be looking at a very difficult, if not almost impossible mountain to climb.

This forum receives more that its fair share of 'I'm a hairdresser and I want to live near Disneyland' posts, which in most cases are no more than a pipe dream, apart from not even considering the implications and difficulties of living in a foreign country. A two week holiday does not give a good example of what actually living here involves - and there's WAY more to this country than Mouseville!

I have just yesterday come back from my Father-in-Law's funeral in Kissimee (10 minutes from Disney), which is packed full of Brits on holiday and it's fun to watch them in restaurants trying to grapple the intricacies of ordering bacon and eggs in a restaurant!! Wait staff have even had to develop the technique of telling Brits what tipping is and how much they should leave because so many do not know how to deal with it!

Old Nov 13th 2019, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

magpies1862 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply..... Mouseville

I always leave a tip, for me the amount depends on the service received.
I will crack on with my employer in the US, see where that takes me.
Saying that, I have seen some exciting roles to apply for externally in Tampa, though the visa process is a nightmare, as you say a mountain.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 2:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

In what way i'm i in a better position, because my employer is part based located in the US?
Yes.

Rene
Old Nov 13th 2019, 3:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

1) You work in a field that traditionally requires degree level education which is required for a work visa in most cases.

2) You work in a field that has demand for foreign workers

3) You work for a company that has operations in the USA that you could potentially transfer over to.

4) There is a couple of visa programs in which you have a shot at being elligable for.

Simply put, with those 4 going for you, you are better off than about 70% of people seeking to work in the US that post here!
Old Nov 14th 2019, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies again.

Spoke to my employer in the US and they gave me some not so positive news, they told me that they only support applications at a really senior level, i.e. director / VP level ☹
Old Nov 14th 2019, 9:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies again.

Spoke to my employer in the US and they gave me some not so positive news, they told me that they only support applications at a really senior level, i.e. director / VP level ☹
What exactly do you do now? Is getting to director/VP level a possibility? It may be that you have to look at this as a longer term plan, and accept it won't happen immediately, but sounds like it's still possible at some point.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 9:16 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than feeling disappointed, you might better serve yourself by formulating a plan to where you could get to that level in 5-10 years. For most people moving to the US is a plan that they have to formulate and then carry out, rather than something that just drops in their lap.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Rather than feeling disappointed, you might better serve yourself by formulating a plan to where you could get to that level in 5-10 years. For most people moving to the US is a plan that they have to formulate and then carry out, rather than something that just drops in their lap.
Other option would be to check if one could participate in the DV Lottery. While the UK is excluded, if you're from Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland you could try that way. But even then there's no guarantee, so rather than wasting time, what is it really that I want? The Op wrote: Over the last 15 years I have been to the USA 6 times, from LA, Miami, Tampa, NYC and Las Vegas. I really enjoy the people, the weather (Florida) and how people live the in the US. If it's just about weather and chilling out on a vacation, maybe there are other options closer to home.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 12:05 pm
Often not so civil...

Based on what he wrote about his employer, the chances of ending up in FL are basically zero anyway, at least until he has a Green Card and can move to another employer anyway.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Lot more to the USA than above, I enjoy the culture, share the same values (well, most), language, it was not a definitive list. Anyhow, thanks for all your help everyone. My employer tells me we might have a scheme starting next year which will support people moving abroad. See what happens. Thanks again.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 2:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Lot more to the USA than above, I enjoy the culture, share the same values (well, most), language, it was not a definitive list. .
I'm afraid that this just highlights your holidaymaker's viewpoint of the US. Fifty states, fifty different cultures and values! As has been explained time and again on this forum, visiting does not prepare one for everyday life here, however much it might seem that it would.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your comments, but I don’t agree.It was not a definitive list, nor I am going to post a definitive list.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Lot more to the USA than above, I enjoy the culture, share the same values (well, most), language, it was not a definitive list. Anyhow, thanks for all your help everyone. My employer tells me we might have a scheme starting next year which will support people moving abroad. See what happens. Thanks again.
No offence and it's not about a definitive list, but most of the places you mentioned are the typical tourist places. Everybody wants to live the American Dream, but how do people in the US live? I'm just saying that maybe there are other alternatives if it doesn't work out. Maybe the green card lottery is an option, if you or your partner qualify.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Everybody wants to live the American Dream, but how do people in the US live?
Certainly in my sister's case, she thinks that a 2 mile radius around Times Square is "America" and is representative of how Americans live.

She's going to get a massive, giant shock when she comes out to visit me in Texas.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 8:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm afraid that this just highlights your holidaymaker's viewpoint of the US. Fifty states, fifty different cultures and values! As has been explained time and again on this forum, visiting does not prepare one for everyday life here, however much it might seem that it would.

its the united states, its akin to comparing different countries in europe, a myriad of different cultures, landscapes, sure the majority speak the same language but that's about it...

most individual states are larger than the uk so just think about the differences here....and times that by 50.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.