Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA

Moving to USA

Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

magpies1862 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to USA

Hi All,I’m after some thoughts/guidance on my recent investigation into moving to the USA from England. Over the last 15 years I have been to the USA 6 times, from LA, Miami, Tampa, NYC and Las Vegas. I really enjoy the people, the weather (Florida) and how people live the in the US. Me and my family have decided to take the plunge, so I have listed my current research, this is based on living somewhere in Florida.
  • VISA – I need to find a job so I can get sponsored, I have 20 years operational IT experience, not sure how valuable this will be in terms of getting a VISA, I don’t have bachelor’s degree? Any places or resources I can go to for advice on how to secure a role in the Florida area, my current employer is also based in the US, just not in Florida ☹
  • Property Tax – Seems to double the price on my council tax here in the UK, from £230 to over £450 p/m based on a property of about $450,000 in Tampa, I also understand just like council tax here in UK that this payment is required even when you have retired.
  • Electric could be about $130 a month based on air con bill, this was from a report I’ve seen online as an average, could be more.
  • Getting a mortgage – I have looked at a few banks in the US, from what I’ve seen most rates are fixed for long periods of time. I assume I could get a mortgage with no US credit history? I should have %50 deposit on a property.
  • Schools, not really done a lot of investigation on Schools, where is the best place I can check? Age 6
  • Would need to buy a car, prices on fuel seem to be half price than in the UK and car prices seem very reasonable than in the UK. Any good places to look for car in the USA?
  • Holidays from employer, is it true 10 paid days is standard?
  • How much is family health care in the US, roughly, I know it differs on circumstances but any rough guidance would help.
Anyone that has emigrated to the US, keen to know your thoughts on how it went, or how’s it going. Please could you shout out on anything I’ve missed in terms of costs and the above, that would really help me, thanks all in advance.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 2:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA

The main thing is the visa. All your other questions are moot if you don't qualify for a visa.

The "easiest" way is to transfer with your current employer, if you qualify, even if it's not Florida. That would be an L visa, and you'd need to talk to your employer about a transfer.

Otherwise you are looking at an H1B visa with a new employer, which is not easy to get, is always oversubscribed and ends up being a lottery drawing, and the employer has to petition you April 1, 2020 for a start date in October 2020.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree that the L Visa may be the best way in. If you can get the employer to Sponsor a Green Card, you'd then bee free in the future to move to Florida if you still wish to do so. Doing it this route may also yield some results in adding extra days for time off through negotiation, otherwise, the allowance is very much dependent on the company and your role - it is not unheard of for 10 Days.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the replies.

L Visa - can i still bring my family with me?

good point about the holidays too.

thanks
Old Nov 12th 2019, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magpies1862
Many thanks for the replies.

L Visa - can i still bring my family with me?
Yes, your immediate family would qualify for L-2 visas. Your spouse can apply for an Employment Authorization Document and work once they receive it (3-6 months). Your children would not be able to work (if old enough) on their L-2 visas and would need to get some other visa to remain in the US once they turn 21.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

This is great advice, thanks.

If i move to the US with my current employer, can I see other opportunities externally or I'm I stuck with that employer?
Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

You're stuck.
You would need to ensure that your current employer would be prepared to apply for a greencard for you after a certain period, and that MUST be in your contract. I've seen several stories on here over the years of people who had to leave when verbal assurances were not met.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another vote for the L, most H's seems to go to Indian body shops and probably not an area you want to compete in unless you have outstanding skill set that would be in great demand and then you have the lottery aspect.

Get a commitment that they will sponsor you and your family for a GC.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magpies1862
This is great advice, thanks.

If i move to the US with my current employer, can I see other opportunities externally or I'm I stuck with that employer?
You would be tied to working just for the L visa employer.. .but you could still job hunt for a company that would sponsor an H1B visa for you in the future.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2019, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

The L Visa is certainly the quickest route to realise a part of your dream. It opens doors to the next stages, but they will take a few years - still far quicker and more secure than other options though. If the company agrees to apply for the GC, they'l usually add in some sort of pay back clause as they know you can look elsewhere once completed, then you have a further path towards being where you want to be in say 3/4 years time. It's a path I am treading right now - moved on L1A to Georgia, applied for GC with Adjustment of Status forms sent last week, long term have the option of moving further South. We may be happy where we are, and the company have been great so I have no current desire to move, but I know will have the option to do so. Just as I can come back to the UK is I so desire. For the right now, we are enjoying life as it is.
Old Nov 12th 2019, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

With regard Property tax, average cost is around 1% of purchase price of home.

If Florida is anything like California there will be other costs on top of this i.e bonds for local schools, colleges, infrastructure charges. I pay another $2k on top of my 1% rate.

.... and yes, you pay as long as you own a property.

Health insurance ? how big is your family? how old? insurance through a company is always a better deal.... but if you put $1k for a family of 3 you probably won't be far wrong.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Nov 12th 2019 at 8:16 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Steveq, Boiler, Noorah101, Robtuck, SanDiegogirl

Thanks for the great advice, appreciated � ����Looks like I will have to speak to my current employer then, they have offices in CA and NJ, both every expensive areas I understand, but I don’t want to spend all my money on mortgages, bill etc…. I want to enjoy life too � ����. Have rules on visa’s always been this tight or have they recently been tightened up?The main concern I have is my daughter, aged 6, will she fit into the new life and what her schools will be like, anyone got any reassurances for me
Old Nov 13th 2019, 12:52 pm

For work visas, it's always been this difficult.

Kids adapt.

Rene
Old Nov 13th 2019, 12:56 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It's always been this way - you just haven't looked at it before.

Despite it's reputation as a nation of immigrants and the land of the free, the US is actually very difficult to get a visa to live and work unless you fit into several very narrow categories.

Believe it or not, you're in a better position that most of the new posters we get here.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

In what way i'm i in a better position, because my employer is part based located in the US?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.