Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to usa

Moving to usa

Old Nov 16th 2015, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Phillip2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to usa

On my latest and third visit to the usa me and my partner decided it is somewhere we would love to defently live after visiting a few times, we are aware how hard it is but not looked a lot as it seems really confusing, is there any particular better way in, whats the green cRd, sadly niether of us have jobs that are rare in america, it just seems impossible?
Old Nov 16th 2015, 3:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to usa

Without more info about you and your "partner" it is impossible to pass an opinion on whether immigration to the US is even possible for you, never mind likely.

Please take a look at the two Pulaski wikis in the US section of the wikis tab above, to see if any of the categories apply to you. Please be aware that for a large majority of people none of the possible routes to immigration are open to them. The "best way" is any one way that works for you, and given that for most people there are no ways, it is highly unlikely you will have even two ways to choose between.

Two general points:
  • If there is a route to immigration open to you, being unmarried (if that is what you mean by "partner"), is likely to make immigration more difficult for at least one of you, and may prevent one of you from working in tbe US.
  • Living in the US is very different from visiting. Most people who work in the retail, industry, or service sectors only get 10 days holiday per year, often without rights to bank holidays either. Managers often get more holidays, and you might get more after, say, ten years service. More than 20 days holiday is unusual.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 16th 2015 at 3:53 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 3:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

read, learm amd inwardly digest

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Nov 16th 2015, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Ill have a look thanks no we are not married
Old Nov 16th 2015, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

Moving to the USA is not something to take lightly... I can assure you its totally different when you actually live here!

Luckily for me I came over on a inter-company transfer and have all my holidays from my home contract and all the perks

However if I had to sign a local contract I would not have came, its such an expensive place to live compared to the UK!! This can not be taken lightly..... I would say my monthly out goings have almost doubled!

Lets not forget the cultural differences.... which are also huge! I was the typical Brit they speak the same language so it must be the same..... its not! You need to be prepared for that...

Does yours or your partners company have a division in the US? Maybe see if you can apply for a job overseas, this is a good way to get a visa and also the security!
Old Nov 16th 2015, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phillip2
Ill have a look thanks no we are not married
If not married you would each need to be eligible for a work visa.

If married, if one of you gets a work visa the other could qualify as spouse.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Really think long and hard about what your motives are.

Not just some fuzzy "wanting a better lifestyle" - come up with definite concrete examples of why you think your life would be better, and what the downsides for you would be.

Its easy to get all dreamy after a nice holiday - quite a different situation to live somewhere. Make a realistic list of the pro's and con's and things may look different.

Getting a visa is likely to be a long and painful process if its possible at all (unless you or your parents happen to have been born in the US). Its not worth going down that road unless you are really sure that its worth it.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

I work for ee which took over t mobile but thats the only link to the usa
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

What's you chances of getting a transfer through work?

Without close family connections that's by far the easiest way.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 5:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

EE belongs to BT, which does have some employees in the US, so it depends what you do within EE as to whether there is any relocation possibility from your role, or whether you can work your way into a role in EE or BT which has relocation potential.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Maybe i could look but wouldnt they have. To relocate me or could i just apply for a job there
Old Nov 16th 2015, 6:14 pm

Maybe i could look but wouldnt they have. To relocate me or could i just apply for a job there
Your employer would have to sponsor a visa for you, you can't just apply for an internal move. A visa will cost your employer around £3,500-£6,000 including visa and related legal fees.

The role has to be a significantly managerial or technical role for the US to grant a visa - in other words your employer can't sponsor an immigrant for a role that a US citizen or permanent resident could do.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

Ah iv just startedim only a sales advisor there
Old Nov 16th 2015, 6:23 pm

Make moving to the US a 10-15 year goal and it might be possible, but you'll need technical skills, seniority, and a good bit of luck.

Do you have a degree? Pretty much all work-related visas are heavily skewed towards favouring graduates, and not having a degree will make it more difficult and expensive for an employer to transfer you.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

In that case doubly think about why you want to move to the US.

You are contemplating moving to a country where you have no close family, where the social safety net is almost non existent, where you will be struggling to get a good job, where employment rights are nothing like in Europe, where it us common to get 10 days holiday a year and where healthcare depends almost entirely on ability to pay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.