Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the USA

Wikiposts

Moving to the USA

Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:17 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the USA

Honestly, they can all behave like pond scum. Look in the jobs section of the press and journal and see who has what vacancies. Try and find one who is not just going to shot gun you around everyone. They will typically get paid 30% of your starting package (by the oil company).

Or, look on linkedin for people based in houston. The more connections they have the better. Try to talk to one or two to see if you have a chance. Try to avoid the ones that will just try to talk you into a Mid East posting. Remember, they just want their 30% - they don't care about you or what you really want.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:24 am
Just Joined

SN1885DN04 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again for the help very much appreciated.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SN1885DN04
One last question could you recommend any good oil and gas recruitment agencies?
If you check out the Middle East section of BE and the wiki there is a pretty decent list of recruiters for that stuff...obviously not the area you're looking to move, but they aren't all area specific agencies.

Also worth having a read of experience from folks in the ME section too as there are a few in the field, who have worked all over, the US included.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Honestly, they can all behave like pond scum. Look in the jobs section of the press and journal and see who has what vacancies. Try and find one who is not just going to shot gun you around everyone. They will typically get paid 30% of your starting package (by the oil company).

Or, look on linkedin for people based in houston. The more connections they have the better. Try to talk to one or two to see if you have a chance. Try to avoid the ones that will just try to talk you into a Mid East posting. Remember, they just want their 30% - they don't care about you or what you really want.
Yeah the problem with scatter gunning the recruiters, they can hinder you too, as they may want their cut if they pumped you for a position that even another recruiter is sorting out, which can mean getting dumped entirely as the company just doesn't want to bother fight out who gets the fee.

Still, checking the recruiters is a good way to see what and where the jobs are and with a bit of LinkedIn and Google searching, you probably get go in the right direction on your own.

Going exclusive with one or two recruiters is great if you've got loads of experience and if the recruiters are targeting particular geographic areas.

There's a good egg in the ME section though, Scamp, might want to ping him and he'll at least set you straight.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:19 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Scamp - seems decent based on what I have read.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:39 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha i like your idea with match.com but im sure my other half at the moment would not be too impressed with that. Thanks again for all the information you have provided. I am going to continue building my experinces up and hopefully will get across the pond one day.

One last question could you recommend any good oil and gas recruitment agencies?

Thanks again.
I hate to add another spanner to the works, but if there is a significant other, who might want to come with you, that has it's own category of challenges.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the information guy. Yes there is a significant other who would definately be wanting to come with me. I do realise that this causes a whole new list of problems.

I have never used linkedin before so will need to fumble my way through that. Also when you talk about scamp in the ME section i am not entirely sure what that means. Where do i find him etc. I apologise but im new to the whole recruiters scene. Thanks again guys.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:50 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the information guy. Yes there is a significant other who would definately be wanting to come with me. I do realise that this causes a whole new list of problems.

I have never used linkedin before so will need to fumble my way through that. Also when you talk about scamp in the ME section i am not entirely sure what that means. Where do i find him etc. I apologise but im new to the whole recruiters scene. Thanks again guys.
Scamp is apparently a recruitment consultant in ME (Middle East) who posts on here, in the ME forums.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=159302
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Everyone uses LinkedIn, it's pokemon for professionals. Get everyone you work with, have worked with and studied with linked up, then join relevant groups in what you're interested and groups related to geographic areas to build up a network.

ME = Middle East forum, it's the one or two up from where you found this, the USA forum.

Just browse around a couple of threads in there, especially in the ME job discussion section and you'll find him, then you can pm him. Click on the user name, second option down I think on the pop up is to PM and bobs your hairy aunt :/
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Cheers guys
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:32 pm
The worse half of Weeze

LinkedIn is not such a big deal in oil and gas IMHO - we're a bit behind the times.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:32 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Linkedin is like visiting your distant relative for some random holiday. You have to do it, and it might actually work out pretty well. While jobs are going to rain down from the heavens when you sign up, it becomes a very convenient tool to 'manage' your network of connection in your industry. It's great for getting tips from people you met once or twice but aren't in constant contact with.

Basically, finding out about a job is who you know, but you don't have to know them all that well.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

I will definately create an account on linkedin and hopefully try and find some contacts out in the states. I would like to thank everyone for all the help i cannot beleive how helpful this forum has been!!!!