British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-usa-768914/)

Huna13208 Aug 20th 2012 8:08 pm

Moving to the USA

Hi folks, I was hoping I could find some advice, I've never used this type of forum before and I'm just hoping to find some helpful insights.

My wife and I have been living in the U.K. for the last 4 and a bit years after we got married in the USA. She has indefinite leave to remain in the U.K. but she wants to relocate back to the US to be near family.

What are our options for moving to the US?

We've done some reading and it keeps looking like we have to be separated for ages so that she can get a job etc in the US and earn enough money to sponsor me? I don't know too much about it and was hoping there's another way..... I'd rather not have be separated if possible.

if there's any chance someone could please shine a light on all this it would be super helpful.......

Thanks

Huna

JSL8610 Aug 20th 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Moving to the USA

Originally Posted by Huna13208 (Post 10237014)
Hi folks, I was hoping I could find some advice, I've never used this type of forum before and I'm just hoping to find some helpful insights.

My wife and I have been living in the U.K. for the last 4 and a bit years after we got married in the USA. She has indefinite leave to remain in the U.K. but she wants to relocate back to the US to be near family.

What are our options for moving to the US?

We've done some reading and it keeps looking like we have to be separated for ages so that she can get a job etc in the US and earn enough money to sponsor me? I don't know too much about it and was hoping there's another way..... I'd rather not have be separated if possible.

if there's any chance someone could please shine a light on all this it would be super helpful.......

Thanks

Huna

Well hello and :welcome:

You'll be after an immigrant visa (category IR-1) based on your marriage to a USC. Read this. It should get you started. There's no need for you to be separated, but you will need to find some way to meet the financial requirements if your wife stays in the UK until you get your visa. A Joint Sponsor is the most likely route, unless the two of you have significant assets or one of you can keep the same job after the move.

Also read the info here, which will tell you what paperwork to file, where to file it and what else to do.

When you've had a read through, please do come back with any further questions.

James

fatbrit Aug 20th 2012 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Huna13208 (Post 10237014)

She should seriously consider naturalizing as a UK citizen before she leaves.

Huna13208 Aug 20th 2012 9:24 pm

Why is that ? does it help with the UK-US immigration process?

Noorah101 Aug 20th 2012 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Huna13208 (Post 10237110)

It does not help with the immigration process to the USA, but it will be easier to go back and forth between the two countries in the future. When you also become a USC, you both can come and go as you please, between the US and UK.

Rene

civilservant Aug 20th 2012 9:29 pm

No, but it ensures her return to the UK should you wish without potentially needing to file for a new visa.

fatbrit Aug 20th 2012 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Huna13208 (Post 10237110)

It ensures her easy return -- no more paperwork from the UK end. Also, if you ever have children, they will be dual citizens. You should hold the same citizenships as your children if at all possible. After she's left, it will no longer be possible.