Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to the usa

moving to the usa

Old Jun 11th 2001, 8:50 pm
mark cartwright

i'm 17 years old and at the moment I am studying to become a qualified electrician,
when I have completed my course I want to move to the usa permantely to get a job and
I was wondering if anybody could tell me how I could do this. Thanks

Old Jun 12th 2001, 2:07 am
Neil Armstrong

There are many ways you can legally do this Mark. If you have a relative who's a US
citizen, he/she can sponsor you. Or you can find an employer who is willing to
sponsor you. Generally, this requires you to have suitable skills which are in short
supply here. You would also need a Bachelor's degree in most cases. Good luck. Neil
Armstrong [email protected]

mark cartwright wrote:

>
    >
    >

Old Jun 12th 2001, 8:03 am
Colm McClean

Hi Mark, The "Greencard Lottery" is an option, If you are eligible to apply (from a
country that is eligible) this way you can finish your education and if you do not
succeed at first try again and again, it is an option. In most cases of sponsorship
you will have to visit US to find an employer that is willing to help, most employers
don't want to be bothered, also make sure to ask if they will help with funding for
your sponsorship it is an expensive process, if an employer is willing to help they
are usually squeaky clean with INS and the IRS and can usually wipe it off on taxes.
Good Luck Colm

>
    >
    >

Old Jun 13th 2001, 7:31 pm
John Parrott

I am a certified I.T. Project Manager specializing in the financial industry
although I don't have a university degree. I have been certified by a US
organization (PMI) which requires five years of related experience. I have friends
and family (Aunts) in NY and there seem to be plenty of jobs in my field but most
employers don't want the hassle.

Can I pre-apply for a H-1 or TN-1 visa before actually having a job offer? It would
make getting a job much easier. What's the best way to tackle this? Where do I start?

Old Jun 13th 2001, 7:46 pm
Mark Carroll

>
    >
    >

Okay. You may need more years of experience for a H-1B.

>

That's interesting; you may even end up having a closer USC relative who doesn't
realise it.

>

Right.

>

No. I don't think you'd ever be eligible for a TN-1 anyway.

>
    >

It's sounding increasingly like a chat with an immigration attorney would help.

-- Mark

Old Jun 13th 2001, 9:24 pm
PJ

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

First things first, where are you from? Canada?

PJ.

Old Jun 13th 2001, 10:11 pm
Mark Carroll

In case anyone's confused as to where followups to this article have been going, John
Parrott set followups to misc.immigration.misc!

-- Mark

Old Jun 14th 2001, 3:59 am
James Donovan

It's difficult without a degree. I know people who have done it but it's rare. You
cant just preapply either. You need a sponsor. For TN-1, though its easier you don't
need to do a Labour Condition Application and most processing is done at the canadian
border (provided you're a canadian coming from canada).

"John Parrott" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 15th 2001, 7:48 pm
John Parrott

Yes, Sorry. I am from Canada.

>

>
[usenetquote2]> >I am a certified I.T. Project Manager specializing in the financial[/usenetquote2]
industry
[usenetquote2]> >although I don't have a university degree. I have been certified by a US[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >organization (PMI) which requires five years of related experience. I[/usenetquote2]
have
[usenetquote2]> >friends and family (Aunts) in NY and there seem to be plenty of jobs in[/usenetquote2]
my
[usenetquote2]> >field but most employers don't want the hassle.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Can I pre-apply for a H-1 or TN-1 visa before actually having a job[/usenetquote2]
offer?
[usenetquote2]> >It would make getting a job much easier. What's the best way to tackle this? Where[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >do I start?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 17th 2001, 6:56 pm
Psycho cactus

Hi,

You cannot preapply for a TN-1.

Get a job offer letter from the company who wants to hire you. Be careful, this
letter needs to have some keywords that fits the nature of a TN-1 visa. To make sure,
there are job offer letter templates on the internet. Bring the offer letter &
documents proving you are qualified to do the job at a point of entry(usually
airport). You'll get the visa right on the spot if approved.

There are a bunch of web sites that explain the process and the documents needed.
Just do a search on TN-1.

A fellow canadian, Bruno

I'm not a pro, just psycho. Propagating on rec.gardens.cacti

John Parrott wrote:
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:31:15 GMT, "John Parrott"[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > >I am a certified I.T. Project Manager specializing in the financial[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >although I don't have a university degree. I have been certified by a US[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >organization (PMI) which requires five years of related experience. I[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >friends and family (Aunts) in NY and there seem to be plenty of jobs in[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >field but most employers don't want the hassle.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Can I pre-apply for a H-1 or TN-1 visa before actually having a job[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >It would make getting a job much easier. What's the best way to tackle this?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >Where do I start?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > First things first, where are you from? Canada?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > PJ.[/usenetquote2]