Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA in 2 days (!!!) need advice

Wikiposts

Moving to USA in 2 days (!!!) need advice

Old Feb 25th 2010, 2:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA in 2 days (!!!) need advice

2- Chicken pox, can get a titre test to show you've had it....Heb B is a series of injections, perhaps get the first one and finish the course over here? Physical shouldn't be a problem. Cost in the US, depends on your medical insurance and/or the area, can cost anything from $20 a jab to $250.

3- einsurance.com worth checking out, but it'll be really expensive for a family.

4-Don't know about uni teaching, but anything else, state license/requirements, especially at schools are pretty high and a hassle and not to cheap, but you could probably do substitute work without needing to get that stuff done, immediately at least.

5- Won't be cheap, your looking for any smart phone...easiest option, skype on a laptop and a cheap rubbish PAYG phone to get you going, tracfone is good for that, but ask around as reception depends on the area on who to go for.

6- dongles for 3G not likely payg, just use wifi to hook up to the net, it's available most places.

7- All banks are about the same, open one whichever is most convenient to your location, which won't go bust any time soon such as Citizens.

Originally Posted by rachococo
2) School says they need Varicella and Hep B and a full Physical before she can start, none of which I can get done in the UK (have asked GP and private hospital), how much is this likely to cost//
3)... does anyone know of pay per month medical insurance while we do our job search?
4) I have a MSc and BSc (hons) Psychology and a PGCE Early Years. I have experience of lecturing and teaching on Psychology undergrad programs and for NHS Assistant Speech and Language Terapist and Surestart as a Family Worker amongst other jobs. I have applied online for a lot of jobs and not heard anything back. Any one have experience of the job hunt in this filed...what sort of jobs to aim for etc. i will consider any type of work to get started.
5) I need a phone with Skype and internet access and a good signal in CT and NYC thats cheapish...any ideas??
6) I am need a dongle for wifi for my laptop...preferable PAYG...any ideas??
7) I am wondering which bank account I should open with the least charges for withdrawals and transactions in USA
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

TO TONROB: I am far from being dishonest, we are thinking of Hartford/New Haven area, but do really want to move to Brooklyn/Williamsburg. It depends what is most feasible, and I was asking the advice of the forum on this... Everyone else has been super friendly and helpful, why on earth would I be 'dishonest' about this, very upsetting from you.

Everyone else...YOU ARE TRULY FANTASTIC AND SO HELPFULXX
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

My son started the dose of Hep B vaccine before we left the UK. He will get his final dose here in a few weeks. He'd already had chicken pox so didn't need varicella.

The school district also request the students have a physical before enrolling. This was a basic height/weight/BP etc and looking in ears/throat etc. On the form the Dr put son had chicken pox and on what date (a guesstimation on my part)and when I enrolled son at the Elementary school a few weeks later they were fine with everything. (The Dr's office had said I would be charged for the vaccination and physical but the forgot to bill me and never asked for any money. I think that was mainly due to the Dr we saw as he was lovely and thought it ridiculous we had to pay for them)
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
My son started the dose of Hep B vaccine before we left the UK. He will get his final dose here in a few weeks. He'd already had chicken pox so didn't need varicella.

The school district also request the students have a physical before enrolling. This was a basic height/weight/BP etc and looking in ears/throat etc. On the form the Dr put son had chicken pox and on what date (a guesstimation on my part)and when I enrolled son at the Elementary school a few weeks later they were fine with everything. (The Dr's office had said I would be charged for the vaccination and physical but the forgot to bill me and never asked for any money. I think that was mainly due to the Dr we saw as he was lovely and thought it ridiculous we had to pay for them)
We must have got off lightly down here then, no physical required!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

TO TONROB: I am far from being dishonest, we are thinking of Hartford/New Haven area, but do really want to move to Brooklyn/Williamsburg. It depends what is most feasible, and I was asking the advice of the forum on this... Everyone else has been super friendly and helpful, why on earth would I be 'dishonest' about this, very upsetting from you.

I think your double posting just confused him with the different cities you requested info on. Sproutboy is very helpful normally, you may not realise that a lot of the regular posters on here read posts on multiple threads, I was also confused by your different posts/cities
Old Feb 26th 2010, 7:18 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Moving to USA in 2 days (!!!) need advice

Come to think of it, the Hep B vaccination might not be necessary for a few years yet. Check with the Board of Education for the town you will be moving to and sending your child to school.

When we moved to the US my son went straight into Grade 6 at Middle school in New Jersey (he was nearly 12 years old). Hep B vaccinations were not mandatory unless they were going to enroll at the local public high school (from Grade 9 and up).

I wasn't that keen on my son having the Hep B vaccincation as Hepatitis B is contracted via blood-to-blood or by sexual activity....I asked my son's doctor about it and he said "you would be surprised how many teens are having sex by the time they go to high school".

TBH I've never had any objections to all the usual childhood vaccinations such as MMR, diptheria, tetanus, whooping cough etc, it's just that Hep B isn't something that one would normally contract in a similar way to say, measles. Some parents don't get their kids vaccinated for Hep B (or other types of vaccinations) by producing a letter stating that they don't allow it for 'religious reasons'.

On the other hand, I wish that they would do the BCG vaccination for tuberculosis in the US, especially since so many people travel around the world these days. One local family employed a nanny from South America...it turned out that she had TB and the whole family and pupils at one of the town's elementary school had to be tested in case they had also contracted it.....
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:15 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

A good number of people spend a lot of time on this site freely giving out information to help others. This is an investment on their part and they expect nothing in return. It would be respectful to those whose help you seek if you are honest and upfront in your posts. To make out in two separate posts in two different forum areas that you are moving to two different places is duplicitous and disrespectful of people's time and energy.

If you want to avoid coming across as being selfish then I recommend that you are clear about your intentions in your posts. By the way - the karma function is not a private messaging facility to tell people you are unhappy with them.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Moving in 2 days and now this stuff is raised?

There is no cheap equivalent to UK Mobile wireless. Much more expensive and much less usage.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:34 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Moving in 2 days and now this stuff is raised?
Careful - you'll get 'karma-ed', then you'll be sorry!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 2:45 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, if he was moving in two days, he's here now -- so hopefully the in-laws can give some pointers.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, if he was moving in two days, he's here now -- so hopefully the in-laws can give some pointers.
The in-laws might point them back east before too long.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joto
The in-laws might point them back east before too long.
Good point, presumably all sorted by now.

PS $100,000 cover will not go far for anything serious.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Moving to USA in 2 days (!!!) need advice

my gosh...how mean you can be so easily via the web...forget it (those of you with the sharp tongues), not nice being accused of being selfish when asking for advice. like I said...forget it
Old Feb 27th 2010, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

my gosh...how mean you can be so easily via the web...forget it (those of you with the sharp tongues), not nice being accused of being selfish when asking for advice. like I said...forget it
Take a deep breath. The vast majority of replies I've seen to your thread have been very positive. If someone irritates you, just skip on past and focus on those you think are giving you good advice. Life's too short to get worked up about an internet post. Best of luck in the U.S.

For the record, TonRob is a good guy and people have told you that ... just let it go and you may learn that too.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 6:21 pm
Septic Sprout

Jesus.

You want help and advice. You came to the right place. You tell different stories in different posts and I called you on it. Now you're getting your knickers in a twist about it. Great behaviour from someone who wants people's help. Do you think that your responses make it: (a) more likely or (b) less likely that you will get the help you need on here in the future?

I'm sorry if I sound frustrated but this is really simple and I can't believe that you can't grasp it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.