Reload this Page >

Moving to USA – List of things to do,

Moving to USA – List of things to do,

Old May 13th 2016, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

UK2toUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to USA – List of things to do,

Hi All,

After reading on internet and going thru lot of posts I am so confused now on weather to sell or rent our house in UK.

Some of the Pros and Cons which I can think of are already giving me headache before we have even move .

Cons
- If we don’t sell then we have to pay CGT whenever we sell our house in the coming years.
- Renting it out and then dealing with letting agents on issues like - repairs , renting, damage etc ,etc
- Having to declare my UK assets to USA govt.
- Have to pay taxes on my UK year rental income.
- Selling house from abroad will be mission impossible .
- Whenever I decide to sell my house I will have to pay other taxes , fees apart from CGT - in UK and in USA.
- Capital gains on any FX benefit arising from repaying your mortgage.
- Dealing with the house insurances from abroad yearly .
- Getting the mortgage going and sorting the right interest rate deals from abroad.
- I am not sure how the tenants will keep our house and how the letting agents will deal with it.
- Filling US &UK returns also keeping track of financial records for 2 countries.
- Changing of letting agent from abroad if we are not happy with the current.

PROS
- Will have a footprint in UK.
- If things don’t work out in USA for us we can always come back to our own house.
- Having a house in London which can be good investment in long run.
- Already onto UK property ladder ( don’t have to start again)

Our friends and family all live in USA . As a family we alone here in UK and the chances of our returning back to UK are very less ( i am sure we will not be back )

Have to make right decision so guys please provide your inputs.. what your thoughts are .

Thanks a lot!!
Old May 13th 2016, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are thinking about making large transfers from your bank, make sure you understand if they require any special process. I remember years ago HSBC required me to fax authorization for anything over £10,000
Old May 13th 2016, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Update pension companies of new address in the US. You may be required to file FBAR for these depending on the type and amount.
Old May 13th 2016, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am assuming it is a recent greencard and that you have not been out of the country for 3 years on a greencard?
Old May 13th 2016, 7:12 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

On the question of whether to sell your house... I think MsElui was the one with the unexpectedly large tax bill for selling her UK house after many years. You could search through some of her posts from about 1 year ago IIRC.

On the other hand, I was recently talking to some Brits who sold their house in the UK after about 20 years of renting it out. They were told of some tax thing where if they use the money to buy another house in the EU then they aren't liable for cgt. They bought a house in the dutch antilles..........about 4 hours flight away. I have no idea of the legality of this, I'm not an accountant but thought it interesting.

Will you need the money to buy a house in the USA? As a new immigrant your credit is non-existent and if you want to buy a house in the first couple of years then you will find it much easier with a large deposit to put down.

Although you will have to declare the income from rent, you get to make a lot of deductions too to reduce the annual tax bill.

Getting input from us lot is all well and good but you could probably do with proper advice from an accountant familiar with UK/USA taxes and with knowledge of your particular situation.
Old May 13th 2016, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
On the other hand, I was recently talking to some Brits who sold their house in the UK after about 20 years of renting it out. They were told of some tax thing where if they use the money to buy another house in the EU then they aren't liable for cgt. They bought a house in the dutch antilles..........about 4 hours flight away. I have no idea of the legality of this, I'm not an accountant but thought it interesting.
This is done through a 1031 exchange. To reduce CGT you would need to buy another non domestic(US) house if you sold your UK house. The exchange requires like for like exchange. There are other rules regarding selling or buying from family, but can't remember those. If you need to no more speak to any reputable title company and they will normally tell you the requirements over the phone or give you a free consultation. 1031 exchanges can be hard to do.
Old May 13th 2016, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

UK2toUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a recent acquired green card .

Any recommendation on accountant familiar with UK/USA taxes based in UK please
Old May 13th 2016, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK2toUSA

NOT a recommendation, because I have never used them but I have seen them recommended by others: American Tax Returns - US and UK Tax Experts Tel: 020 8946 0523
Old May 13th 2016, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You may want to look at this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...dation-868962/
Old May 14th 2016, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Disclaimer - I don't like owning houses much, and prefer the freedom of renting rather than the anchor of ownership. That said, it strikes me that your Cons are generally things that WILL happen, and your Pros are things that MAY happen.

PROS
- Will have a footprint in UK.

This is a meaningless statement. You don't need footprints - whatever they are - in countries you don't live in. We lived in Switzerland for some years, but aren't likely to return there for anything other than a holiday; hence no 'footprint' required.

- If things don’t work out in USA for us we can always come back to our own house.

Assuming any job you may get back in the UK is within commuting distance, and the stars perfectly align so that any tenants you have haven't just signed a 12 month lease.

- Having a house in London which can be good investment in long run.

Can be... can also not be. Investments are like that. Having it all in an S&P tracker may be the way to go for the next decade. Who knows?

- Already onto UK property ladder ( don’t have to start again)

The notion of a property ladder that bears no relation to wage inflation aside, how sure are you that you'd want to start again anyway, in the same area and type of house, in a place where you have no family ties?

We used to live in a 4-bed family-sized detached house in the UK, in a leafy suburb with good schools. Should we return, we'll be in an entirely different life stage and probably want a small city centre flat.

!
Old May 15th 2016, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would sell the house but keep the money in the UK in the hopes that the pound strengthens. I have been a landlord in the past and it was a PITA, despite living in the same town.
Old May 16th 2016, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have rental property in both the UK and US

Pros: Can get tax deductions for business expenses to check on rental property.
Diversified investment.

Cons: extra work required from a tax perspective . Tax years are different in the UK and US which adds work.
You have to keep up with Landlord laws in the UK, but there are good resources online to keep up to date.
If you have a mortgage , you may end up playing the exchange rate game. Also it may be hard to refinance being a US resident.

CGT is not an issue if you can do a 1031. It basically defers the CGT indefinitely. One thing to consider is do you want to reset the CG by buying a new property before you leave, or are you likely to want to sell the UK property in next 3 years. Prices are high at the moment, so buying another place, you may not have a gain in a few years.

I sold my house while in the US, it's a little harder, I basically have to give my solicitor power of attorney.
Email makes life a lot easier.

It's cheaper to take out a vonage account while in the UK and keep a UK phone number.

Try to find a property manager before leaving. Dealing with property managers in the UK is no harder than dealing with them in the US.

You need to remove any emmotional attachment to the property if you wish to rent it. There will probably be times when tenants misuse the place, but overall you can expense repairs.

If you are not making much cash flow, you should probably sell.

Prices in the US have gone up as much as the UK depending on the city.

Last edited by mrken30; May 16th 2016 at 2:23 am.