Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US, what things do I need to obtain (SSN, insurance etc.)?

Moving to US, what things do I need to obtain (SSN, insurance etc.)?

Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US, what things do I need to obtain (SSN, insurance etc.)?

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Two weeks to go before you emigrate, a non-existent visa type (H1N is a strain of Influenza virus) and no medical insurance?

What could possibly go wrong?
LOL! It's not often that a post on here makes me laugh but yours did!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US, what things do I need to obtain (SSN, insurance etc.)?

Originally Posted by niuniu
Thanks, what do you mean by leave it 10 days. What is it? Before crossing the boarder or before starting work?

Then company is hoping I can start working on the same day the visa is issued. I feel that is optimistic. Does anybody know if I'll need to flagpole if I'm already in the US at the time the visa is issued?
Thank you. Yes I did read it. The reason for me seeking clarification was because the sentence is confusing: "but leave it 10 or so days to be sure you are 'on the system' as arriving in the country." Hence why I was asking further questions as I was wondering what "as" arriving... meant. I presume now it was a typo for after.

Am I able to enter on a VWP a few days ahead of the anticipated visa issue date (in order to find accommodation), be given the visa (assuming it is a physical piece of paper) in the US and take the visa and return to Canada, or just go to the boarder, then re-enter with the visa i.e. flagpole as its termed.
I think you and maybe your company people are unclear on what's involved in a visa application. You need to appear and apply for your visa in person at a US Consulate outside the US. After the interview, a final security check is run and your passport with visa sticker is couriered back to your home/office in Canada.

Before you can appear to apply for the visa, the company needs to have its petition approved.. you are a way out yet.

When you enter the first time with your visa, your new immigration status is entered into a database called SAVE. The Social Security Administration has to verify your immigration status before they will give you a number. Waiting 10 days from entry gives you the better chance of being entered into SAVE so there is no 'manual verification delay' with SSA.

I will say, Mister Moderator, that your short temper and entitlement attitude doesn't endear you to any users here. I hope my explanation helps you understand the system better.
Oh, and health insurance is a private matter in the US. Talk to your company's HR department about what your employer offers you. Otherwise, you have to shop for your own on the open market. Try ehealthinsurance.com (BlueCross/BlueShield has a very good product in Washington State).
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:48 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

WHy are so many people on this board arrogant, condescending, patronizing sarcastic ***** instead of being constructive and helpful.Thanks for nothing.
I find your post suprising. You posted in the forums before and were given lots of very helpful advice about your specific situation and that the best route would probably be to consult an immigration attorney. You seem to have not followed that advice.

I can only speak from our experience but we entered the country on L1 and L2 visas due to an inter-company transfer. Even though it was a US company who is well experienced in these matters, it still took about a month to gather all the paperwork, apply, have the interview, be approved and receive our passports back with the visas. All the work was done by the company lawyers. The company also had a liaison who could contact the Social Security Office in advance on our behalf to check we were on the system before applying for our Social Security Numbers. Perhaps your company has someone who can help as well?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:04 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

WHy are so many people on this board arrogant, condescending, patronizing sarcastic ***** instead of being constructive and helpful.

Even if an answer contains information its sandwiched between condescending tones.

I'm a moderator myself on a board and I myself get irritated at some of the posters, but its been very educational of me to see just how alienating such a twatish tone can be to the ops, I'll bear that in mind with my future posting to them.

I live just a couple of hours drive from Seattle so its the easiest thing in the world to pop there and back. I tried to get an answer to a simple question and instead get patronizing words like wafting and buggering off and condescension and sarcasm all round. Shame on you all. All I wanted to know was if I could drive down there, set up some accommodation, then drive back. Not wafting around. Not buggering around.

No wonder we brits are regarded around the world as arrogant arseholes, its totally true.

Thanks for nothing.
Ah, so you don't have a visa or health insurance then?
Old Jan 26th 2011, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

WHy are so many people on this board arrogant, condescending, patronizing sarcastic ***** instead of being constructive and helpful.

Even if an answer contains information its sandwiched between condescending tones.

I'm a moderator myself on a board and I myself get irritated at some of the posters, but its been very educational of me to see just how alienating such a twatish tone can be to the ops, I'll bear that in mind with my future posting to them.

I live just a couple of hours drive from Seattle so its the easiest thing in the world to pop there and back. I tried to get an answer to a simple question and instead get patronizing words like wafting and buggering off and condescension and sarcasm all round. Shame on you all. All I wanted to know was if I could drive down there, set up some accommodation, then drive back. Not wafting around. Not buggering around.

No wonder we brits are regarded around the world as arrogant arseholes, its totally true.

Thanks for nothing.

I'm getting the popcorn in the micro right now, this is going to be entertaining!
Cheers

- Tim