Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US, what things do I need to obtain (SSN, insurance etc.)?

Moving to US, what things do I need to obtain (SSN, insurance etc.)?

Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

niuniu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to US, what things do I need to obtain (SSN, insurance etc.)?

Hi
I'm a UK passport holder and Canadian resident and moving to the US in 2 weeks for a new job (with a H-1N visa).
What things will I need to do or apply for before/when I arrive?
- do I need to apply for a social security number/card or will one be issued automatically when the H-1N visa is issued?
- do I need medical insurance?
- anything else I'll need to do?

Thanks
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:30 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US, what things do I need to obtain (SSN, insurance etc.)?

you will need to visit a social security office to apply for a ssn - but leave it 10 or so days to be sure you are 'on the system' as arriving in the country.

Hopefully your employer will arrange health insurance- so speak to them first.

Other things you will likely need to do - get a new driving license for the state you are going too. It might require a test but they are about 100 times easier and shorter than a UK test so they are not at all hard.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US, what things do I need to obtain (SSN, insurance etc.)?

Yes, you need Medical insurance and this is something you should have confirmed with your employer before now.

Coming to the US without adequate Medical Insurance is a big No No
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MsElui
you will need to visit a social security office to apply for a ssn - but leave it 10 or so days to be sure you are 'on the system' as arriving in the country.
Thanks, what do you mean by leave it 10 days. What is it? Before crossing the boarder or before starting work?

Then company is hoping I can start working on the same day the visa is issued. I feel that is optimistic. Does anybody know if I'll need to flagpole if I'm already in the US at the time the visa is issued?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
Hopefully your employer will arrange health insurance- so speak to them first.
If they weren't covering it, it wouldn't be worth coming over really, because you'll be wondering on whatever else you're getting stiffed on.

What to do now, read the wiki, to understand what you need to do to get credit history.

Read up state DMV drivers manual, test is easy, but it's the stupid stuff related to kids that you'll probably get wrong on the theory as you probably wouldn't care about penalty points for a 16 year old other wise.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niuniu
Thanks, what do you mean by leave it 10 days. What is it? Before crossing the boarder or before starting work?

Then company is hoping I can start working on the same day the visa is issued. I feel that is optimistic. Does anybody know if I'll need to flagpole if I'm already in the US at the time the visa is issued?
SSN.

Wait 10 days before applying for it. Didn't you read the first post? You want to wait, so that your details are in the system, that way you'll get your card/number quickly, if you aren't in the system, they have to manually verify you are eligible for the number, which means it could take weeks and weeks.

If you are in the US, the visa isn't much use, that only gets you into the country. It's the status you are on when in the US. Depending on how you entered the country, you might be able to change status, but if you came on the VWP, you wouldn't be. You'd need to leave the US and get to a US consulate for the visa.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
SSN.

Wait 10 days before applying for it. Didn't you read the first post? You want to wait, so that your details are in the system, that way you'll get your card/number quickly, if you aren't in the system, they have to manually verify you are eligible for the number, which means it could take weeks and weeks.

If you are in the US, the visa isn't much use, that only gets you into the country. It's the status you are on when in the US. Depending on how you entered the country, you might be able to change status, but if you came on the VWP, you wouldn't be. You'd need to leave the US and get to a US consulate for the visa.
Thank you. Yes I did read it. The reason for me seeking clarification was because the sentence is confusing: "but leave it 10 or so days to be sure you are 'on the system' as arriving in the country." Hence why I was asking further questions as I was wondering what "as" arriving... meant. I presume now it was a typo for after.

Am I able to enter on a VWP a few days ahead of the anticipated visa issue date (in order to find accommodation), be given the visa (assuming it is a physical piece of paper) in the US and take the visa and return to Canada, or just go to the boarder, then re-enter with the visa i.e. flagpole as its termed.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Am I able to enter on a VWP a few days ahead of the anticipated visa issue date (in order to find accommodation), be given the visa (assuming it is a physical piece of paper) in the US and take the visa and return to Canada, or just go to the boarder, then re-enter with the visa i.e. flagpole as its termed.
No, a visa cannot be issued to you while you are inside the USA. You need to be outside the USA to obtain a visa to enter the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, a visa cannot be issued to you while you are inside the USA. You need to be outside the USA to obtain a visa to enter the USA.

Rene
Thanks, what does the term "issue" actually mean specifically then?

As it stands I'm able to enter the US with the VWP, I presume the fact an application has been submitted for the visa doesn't affect that? Or does it?
Therefore why am I not able to enter now with the VWP (not for purposes of work, for purposes of looking for accommodation), then if the visa is "issued" to me by mean of post to my Canadian postal address for example, I return, pick it up and then re-enter.

TIA
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if I appear to be nosy, but what is an H-1N Visa?

I have heard of H-1B's etc but never an H-1N.

Is this a very specific type of visa?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

As it stands I'm able to enter the US with the VWP, I presume the fact an application has been submitted for the visa doesn't affect that? Or does it?
Therefore why am I not able to enter now with the VWP (not for purposes of work, for purposes of looking for accommodation), then if the visa is "issued" to me by mean of post to my Canadian postal address for example, I return, pick it up and then re-enter.

TIA
Issue means exactly what it says on the tin.

They issue you a visa to enter the US on that status, it's put in your passport.

You have to be present for interview to get the visa, so no, you can't bugger off on the VWP and waft about sending your passport around, because you need your passport on you if on the VWP, and secondly you need to be present at the interview.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

TIA
The visa is not issued by post. You appear in person at a US Consulate for an interview, they keep your passport, then they send your passport with visa inside back to you via courier, to your address in Canada. They won't send it to you in the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:09 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Two weeks to go before you emigrate, a non-existent visa type (H1N is a strain of Influenza virus) and no medical insurance?

What could possibly go wrong?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Two weeks to go before you emigrate, a non-existent visa type (H1N is a strain of Influenza virus) and no medical insurance?

What could possibly go wrong?
I too had found H1N to be an influenza strain ...... but no visa type
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:55 am
Just Joined

WHy are so many people on this board arrogant, condescending, patronizing sarcastic ***** instead of being constructive and helpful.

Even if an answer contains information its sandwiched between condescending tones.

I'm a moderator myself on a board and I myself get irritated at some of the posters, but its been very educational of me to see just how alienating such a twatish tone can be to the ops, I'll bear that in mind with my future posting to them.

I live just a couple of hours drive from Seattle so its the easiest thing in the world to pop there and back. I tried to get an answer to a simple question and instead get patronizing words like wafting and buggering off and condescension and sarcasm all round. Shame on you all. All I wanted to know was if I could drive down there, set up some accommodation, then drive back. Not wafting around. Not buggering around.

No wonder we brits are regarded around the world as arrogant arseholes, its totally true.

Thanks for nothing.

Last edited by niuniu; Jan 25th 2011 at 3:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.