Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US? what should I do to live here?

Moving to US? what should I do to live here?

Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US? what should I do to live here?

Originally Posted by deftoneuk
I currently go to Penn State and my tuition costs are going to be around $40,000, I dont know what other schools cost, but Im sure $11,000 isnt going to be enough.
Damn! Were you not eligible for scholarships or assistantships or anything? I don't know anyone who's ever paid full ticket price, undergrad or grad...or are you talking for the whole degree?

(And OP, not all unis charge the same: mine would be $18K per year for the first year, after which you could qualify for residency and pay $6K/year. I got funding and ended up not paying anything)
Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rose tea
Damn! Were you not eligible for scholarships or assistantships or anything? I don't know anyone who's ever paid full ticket price, undergrad or grad...or are you talking for the whole degree?

(And OP, not all unis charge the same: mine would be $18K per year for the first year, after which you could qualify for residency and pay $6K/year. I got funding and ended up not paying anything)
Lot depends on the uni and the visa, if you're on a student visa, you'd often pay the full whack and some uni's won't let you switch to in state rates after a year either....and unless you're got a greencard, there's very little that you can usually qualify for unless it's either private or something the uni offers.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Lot depends on the uni and the visa, if you're on a student visa, you'd often pay the full whack and some uni's won't let you switch to in state rates after a year either....and unless you're got a greencard, there's very little that you can usually qualify for unless it's either private or something the uni offers.
It also depends on the kind of study. I have quite a few (UKC) friends currently in the US on full tuition + maintenance PhD scholarships. The universities they are at include Stanford, Chapel Hill, UPenn, MIT and NYU. However, while there seem to be decent funding opportunities for people on an academic career path, I suspect there might be less available for so called 'professional development' postgrad courses (business school etc.).