Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US? what should I do to live here?

Moving to US? what should I do to live here?

Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:31 am
Just Joined

jay185 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Moving to US? what should I do to live here?

Hi im a 23 yr old male student from the UK.. ive read about it being hard to move to US and other countries.

I would love to live in america, a change of scenery and a new setting with a different way of life. Of course there is a deeper reason for why i want this.

I just feel like im missing out on alot in my life living in the UK; there are things here that dont really aid me as a the type of person i am (personality, well being, money, sociable). i realize id had of loved to have grown up over there. of course this isnt my choice as my parents and family are english/n-irish etc well we cant have everything the way we want it.

But ive been to US (to florida and cali few times respectively) and enjoyed my time over there.. i much prefer how the ball rolls over there, society etc.

UK really doesnt work for the type of person i am.. even these riots of recent just make me want to leave. Now by all means im not saying the UK is a bad place just that i dont like how its run here.. and i think my potential lies somewhere else.

So my first question does any the below help me get an extended visa/citazenship?

Going to university in the states?.. i know this is expensive and with $11,000 i prob dont have enough. Ive just completed my first of 4 yrs at university.

Doing an exchange student programe by university?. Some of my family lives in america (aunt, uncle).. of course i could pull my own weight and pay for living there; they'd prob let me stay for a few yrs.

But like always it boils down to the visa issue.^

doing voluntary work in the US?; working at summer camps with kids etc. I think i will enjoy it and im happy and proud of doing this. Some people say doing voluntary might get me a longer visa but i dont know.

At the moment im doing 'computer science' at university, is this a good profession to live abroad? To be exact im designing computer games but extra things on the side. Im passionate about this.. im thinking working for an american company in the UK to get a leg through the door.

So overall, what is the best way for me to live in the US?

what i can do to get a visa or work permit there or something that can allow me to stay there and get citizenship? of course a different way of life is all nice but i do intend to work my ass off to meet my goal. I even like to study about American studies/history etc, i like to get involved with the american culture too.

im definately enthusiastic about it..
The red text are parts which could be key to living there.

If there is anything within this message that helps a great deal please let me know.

Any advice given is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by jay185; Aug 15th 2011 at 7:59 am.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US? what should I do to live here?

Probably your easiest way would be get a job with a US high tech company and then request a transfer (L1 visa) to the US after working with them for several years.

If that is not possible, get plenty of experience in high tech and then apply with American companies to be sponsored for a H1-B visa.

A third possibility is to get your masters degree through a US university. Once that degree has been acquired, you will always be eligible for H1-B visas that are available (still must be sponsored by a company) for foreigners that got their masters degree from a US university. The advantage of these H1-B visas over the standard H1-B visas is that generally the quota isn't filled as fast as the standard H1-B visas when the job market is tight. Also during you last semester, you'll be able to look for a job and be available for interviews.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Oz or Canada instead maybe? Heck of a lot easier and they have the Working Holiday Visa, so you could go for a year or two.

If it has to be the US, then you'll need to think of it as a long term plan - as Michael suggested, a company transfer could be your best route. Work hard, get noticed, and then try after a while. Realistically though, it's a 5-10 year plan so it won't be something that happens quickly.

Not sure it sounds as though you've got the funds for a masters or further studying in the US, but you could always save up and have that as Plan B?

Good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:40 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I switched to boxers and am now much happier with the way my balls roll.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going into game design, really your best chance of moving to the US would rest on having a bitchin' portfolio.

Also if you can find a school in or near a city you'd like to live that has an exchange program that you can get into, then go for it. Whether it's a year or a semester long program, you'll still be paying UK university prices. Chances are, getting in to as top a quality university on such an exchange program will mean being taught by people whose full time jobs are within the industry in this part of the world. Thus you could potentially have names that carry real weight in regards to future job/internship references further boosting your chances of later full time employment here.

Upon finding this, USC or Georgia Tech would look great on any CV.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Camp America volunteer on a J1 visa, and hope that you meet a local woman....
Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you eligible to apply for the green card lottery based on your Irish passport? That is one way to get to the US since you don't appear to have options to do so otherwise.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
I switched to boxers and am now much happier with the way my balls roll.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
Aren't you eligible to apply for the green card lottery based on your Irish passport? That is one way to get to the US since you don't appear to have options to do so otherwise.
He says he's from the UK.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc View Post
Even better. He can get them from Marks and Spencers.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc View Post
But his family is English/Northern Irish. So he might be eligible for an Irish passport, depending on his particular circumstances.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen View Post
But his family is English/Northern Irish. So he might be eligible for an Irish passport, depending on his particular circumstances.
But to enter the DV lottery, it depends where you're born, not what passport you hold.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

deftoneuk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jay185 View Post
Going to university in the states?.. i know this is expensive and with $11,000 i prob dont have enough. Ive just completed my first of 4 yrs at university.
I currently go to Penn State and my tuition costs are going to be around $40,000, I dont know what other schools cost, but Im sure $11,000 isnt going to be enough.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
But to enter the DV lottery, it depends where you're born, not what passport you hold.
True, I'd forgotten that.

To the OP, when you say your family are English/N. Irish, I don't suppose you were born in NI? If so, you could apply to the DV lottery despite your UK citizenship on the grounds of NI birth (assuming the instructions don't change next year).
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a proper Comp Sci degree or one of those wipe your arses and take the mick games degrees?

Study abroad scheme is a great way to get over to the US for a summer, or doing an exchange program at college.

What makes you think life in the US would be any different/better than the UK though?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.