British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to the US, what are my options? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-us-what-my-options-603288/)

mis0angel Apr 13th 2009 1:41 pm

Moving to the US, what are my options?

I am desperate to get out of the UK and relocate to the US. I have read a bit about how to get there, find work, etc. but I don't know if these things apply to me in my current situation, and also I have a lot of questions. Hopefully someone on here can help me.

I'm 25, 5 months pregnant, unmarried with living with my partner (although we will probably get married soon), unemployed as I used to work as a self employed driving instructor, and on UK benefits. I have a half sister who was born in Thailand but has lived in the US since the age of 4 (so for about 35 years) and is a US Citizen.

What are my options for moving to the US? I read about a member of your immediate family sponsoring you for a green card. Does this apply in my situation as my sister and I only share the same mother, but not the same father? I read this process can take up to 10 years.

If I were to get a visa, what type of jobs would I be able to get?

Also, I read somewhere that if my baby was born in the US this would make him a US Citizen, would that entitle me and my partner to stay in the US so that we could raise our baby in the country she was born in?

Would my partner and I be allowed to marry in the US on non-immigrant visas?

I know some of these questions are quite basic, but I thought I would ask as online research is taking me weeks! Thanks. :thumbup:

The Horticulturalist Apr 13th 2009 1:57 pm

Re: Moving to the US, what are my options?

Originally Posted by mis0angel (Post 7475841)
I am desperate to get out of the UK and relocate to the US. I have read a bit about how to get there, find work, etc. but I don't know if these things apply to me in my current situation, and also I have a lot of questions. Hopefully someone on here can help me.

I'm 25, 5 months pregnant, unmarried with living with my partner (although we will probably get married soon), unemployed as I used to work as a self employed driving instructor, and on UK benefits. I have a half sister who was born in Thailand but has lived in the US since the age of 4 (so for about 35 years) and is a US Citizen.

What are my options for moving to the US? I read about a member of your immediate family sponsoring you for a green card. Does this apply in my situation as my sister and I only share the same mother, but not the same father? I read this process can take up to 10 years.

If I were to get a visa, what type of jobs would I be able to get?

Also, I read somewhere that if my baby was born in the US this would make him a US Citizen, would that entitle me and my partner to stay in the US so that we could raise our baby in the country she was born in?

I know some of these questions are quite basic, but I thought I would ask as online research is taking me weeks! Thanks. :thumbup:

Based on what you're written here, your chances of getting into the USA are slim to none. You may be able to get sponsorship through your sister, but you are right, that could take up to 10 years.

Read this wiki for ways to get a US visa:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

If your baby was born in the USA he/she would be a citizen but that doesn't mean you have permission to raise the child here.

What does your partner do in terms of work?

Duncan Roberts Apr 13th 2009 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mis0angel (Post 7475841)
I'm 25, 5 months pregnant, unmarried with living with my partner (although we will probably get married soon), unemployed as I used to work as a self employed driving instructor, and on UK benefits. I have a half sister who was born in Thailand but has lived in the US since the age of 4 (so for about 35 years) and is a US Citizen. What are my options for moving to the US?

Your only option, assuming a half sister counts and she really is a US citizen, is your sister. Don't know if it does or not, don't see why it shouldn't.

I read this process can take up to 10 years.
It will be longer.

They would be a US citizen by birth. They could sponsor you once they become 21 assuming the laws stay the same. Otherwise only the US citizen child has any right to stay in the US, not you or the father.

You can marry on whatever visa or non-visa you want. Won't mean anything in terms of you staying unless you marry a US citizen.

Your research should take you a lot longer than weeks. By the way, where were you and your partner born? Seems like your weeks of research may be missing a key route.

Bob Apr 13th 2009 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7475877)
Your only option, assuming a half sister counts and she really is a US citizen, is your sister. Don't know if it does or not, don't see why it shouldn't.

Don't know if there's a aging out possibility or not either, and even if not, I don't think she'd be able to if the OP were married...not sure, but there's a few threads to search out and just asking in the visa section of this site.

Having the kid in the US wouldn't bring any advantages as it wouldn't be able to sponsor you till 21 one years of age, not to mention it'll cost a fortune having the kid.

Anyway, the wiki link posted above has great info...either the OP or partner got a degree would make a huge difference and knowing what the partner does for a living.