Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

moving to the US, what is the best solution ??

moving to the US, what is the best solution ??

Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

beck2595 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to the US, what is the best solution ??

Hallo everybody.

I have a business here in DK and have the last 8 years been in USA a couple of times every year to buy equipment that I sell over here.

I will in 2009 move to the USA and like to know if anybody here know what will be the best thing to do.
My plan is to have my own business, and buy and sell equipment like I do now but in the US.

What is the best solution ???

1. I can keep my company here and get hired of my own company ?? is that possible

2. I have a friend that will hire me to work for him ( I do not know if I can run my own company on the side then ?)

3. I might have 300.000 USD to buy a company, however I do trading and normally is a trading company not expensive because most of the value is inventory ??

Does anybody know a good attorney to do the paperwork ??

I hope some of you will take the time to share your know-how so I will get the right start.

Regards

Karsten
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to the US, what is the best solution ??

Originally Posted by beck2595

I will in 2009 move to the USA and like to know if anybody here know what will be the best thing to do.

you will will you? Depends if you get the visa or not.

Have a read in the wiki in the US section describing the ways in.

If your business is big enough and you set up a US branch, that opens up the L1. Your friend might like to help you, but the H1 employment visa couldn't be applied for till next April for a Oct start, massive competition for it, and would really depend on the job, do you require a degree to do what you do for instance.

$300K really isn't enough cash for an investment visa, because apart from needing the money to invest, you'll also have to live, so get a house, a car etc, etc.

edit: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

even found the link for you. Good luck.

Last edited by Bob; Nov 17th 2007 at 8:13 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hallo everybody.

I have a business here in DK and have the last 8 years been in USA a couple of times every year to buy equipment that I sell over here.

My plan is to have my own business, and buy and sell equipment like I do now but in the US.

What is the best solution ???

1. I can keep my company here and get hired of my own company ?? is that possible

2. I have a friend that will hire me to work for him ( I do not know if I can run my own company on the side then ?)

3. I might have 300.000 USD to buy a company, however I do trading and normally is a trading company not expensive because most of the value is inventory ??

Does anybody know a good attorney to do the paperwork ??

I hope some of you will take the time to share your know-how so I will get the right start.

Regards

Karsten
How many people do you currently employ in DK?
How many people do you plan to employ in the US?
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:38 am
Just Joined

beck2595 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi fatbrit

Thank you for your answar, i currently have 2 people working and that will be the same in the US

Regards
Karsten
Old Nov 18th 2007, 1:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fatbrit

Thank you for your answar, i currently have 2 people working and that will be the same in the US

Regards
Karsten
There is a trick whereby you have a company in DK, open one up in the US, and transfer yourself here to run it using the L1a. This visa can convert to a green card. However, your business sounds a little too small to qualify for this. London has a nasty habit of issuing this visa for one year then refusing to renew it. No idea about Copenhagen.

The E2 is possible but this visa has no direct conversion to a green card.

An EB5 visa leading to a green card costs an investment of 0.5 M USD.