Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US from UK Tax question

Moving to US from UK Tax question

Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Oliver123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to US from UK Tax question

Hi all. I'm moving to The US from the UK this year. I'm self employed and will soon be informing the tax man that I'm shutting down my business here. I'm aware that I need to fill out a p85 form. I was wondering if anyone on here has moved to the US and has gone through this process as a self employed person. It may all be relatively straight forward, but would greatly appreciate any useful pointers or information on things that I should be aware of. Thanks!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US from UK Tax question

Hopefully someone will be along to answer your question.

Just curious...on what basis (visa) are you moving? Are you setting up a business in the U.S?
Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

I'm moving there on a spouse visa. No set plans with regards work as yet, but will more than lightly involve property refurbishment!
Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!

Where you headed?
Old Jan 16th 2015, 1:00 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oliver123
I'm moving there on a spouse visa. No set plans with regards work as yet, but will more than lightly involve property refurbishment!
I'm not sure about the process of moving from the UK to the US as a self employed person, but there are a few things to do.

1) P85 is a good start
2) If you own ISAs realize that they will not be US tax free.
3) Sell any UK investment funds that you own outside of UK pension plans as these will be taxed heavily by the IRS...they are called Passive Foreign Investment Companies (PFIC)
4) Make sure you have US medical insurance
5) If you are going to be doing something like property refurbishment understand the state and local laws and certification you will need.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Hotscot, we are moving to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Thanks for the info Nun!