Reload this Page >

Moving to the US from the UK

Moving to the US from the UK

Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Bonnyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the US from the UK

Hey guys,

MY wife and i are wanting to move to the US in the near future.

My wife is a US Citizen living in the UK with indefiante leave to life and work in the UK, she has been living in the UK since she has been 13, she came over with her mom and her brother. I am a UK citizen and have been all my life, while travelling to the states a few times aswel.

We are wanting to move to the UK and have already got one of her family members as a sponser.

We are unsure of what forms we require to fill in and send away to Edinburgh or London to start the process of being accepted to moving into the states.

What forms do i need and fill out with other information etc to move to the US and what forms etc does my wife require to move back to get us statered as we read so much stuff on official websites that dont make much sence to us!

Thanks for the help guys.

Hopefully someone will get us started off!!
Old Feb 12th 2011, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

AyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really niceAyePod is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to the US from the UK

Hi! If your wife is a USC and lives in the UK, you guys can most likley file in DCF (direct consular filing) in London ( I don't believe the embassy in Edinburgh processes visas). You'll want to start off by submitting an I-130 form. There is a DCF wiki on this site which is very helpful, and here is the US embassy's DCF page as well. Good luck!
http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html
PS Be aware that there is considerable cost involved, so just be prepared for that. It is over $400 (not sure exactly how much) to file I-130, £200 for your medical, and $404 for the actual visa, all the money it takes to get yourself back and forth from London, the money for your police certificate, etc.

Last edited by AyePod; Feb 12th 2011 at 12:17 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 2:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

With your wife having been outside the US for so long you will need to pay attention to the issue of her intent to domicile in the US.

As a guide to the problems you might face and how to resolve them start by reading this. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Guide_...Outside_the_US. It is some way into the process but fore warned is fore armed and it is worth thinking about now.

Also has she been filing US tax returns each year. She is a US Citizen and required to do so, even living outside the US. You will need copies of those tax returns as part of the immigration process. If she hasn't been filing the US Embassy has an IRS office who can help. http://london.usembassy.gov/irs/index.html

I think you mean in your original post you want to move to the US from the way it is worded but you mistyped UK if that is the case, before anyone gets confused and asks. Also you will file and do everything though the Embassy which is in London. The Edinburgh office is just a Consulate.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 12th 2011 at 2:33 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Also, your wife should seriously consider getting UK citizenship before you make the move. She would then be a dual US/UK citizen with the right to come and go as she please to both the UK and US.