Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving To US from UK with 14 year old

Moving To US from UK with 14 year old

Old May 19th 2019, 5:39 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving To US from UK with 14 year old

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That sounds vaguely disrespectful of Steveq.
I have it in writing that he is an alien of extraordinary ability
Old May 19th 2019, 7:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I have it in writing that he is an alien of extraordinary ability
Watch out for the Men in Black!
Old May 19th 2019, 7:18 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Watch out for the Men in Black!
Ooh, are they going to bring me Milk Tray?
Old May 19th 2019, 7:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Ooh, are they going to bring me Milk Tray?
I don't think so.

Old May 20th 2019, 10:03 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Partner? Unless you are married, there is no visa she/he can obtain from your job. And if you are married, she/he will be unable to work on the H-4 derivative visa.
This! I was done thinking the self same thing, hunny chile.
Old May 21st 2019, 8:35 am
Just Joined

JulesR69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interview is scheduled for next week so thanks to all your comments I will have lots of questions about the Visa. Yes, I know we will need to be married. My partner doesn't work in the UK and does not want to work in the US. I've been looking at the EB-2 Visa, is that also an option? Have been reading through all the threads in the Visa section to get more info. I have a masters degree and 25 years post degree experience.
Old May 21st 2019, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesR69
Interview is scheduled for next week so thanks to all your comments I will have lots of questions about the Visa. Yes, I know we will need to be married. My partner doesn't work in the UK and does not want to work in the US. I've been looking at the EB-2 Visa, is that also an option? Have been reading through all the threads in the Visa section to get more info. I have a masters degree and 25 years post degree experience.
EB-2 is a long process. Probably not something that can happen this year.

is the interview with the immigration lawyers?
Old May 21st 2019, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

No, interview is with the company. They asked me to formally apply for the position, which I did yesterday.
Old May 21st 2019, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

No, interview is with the company. They asked me to formally apply for the position, which I did yesterday.
Oh I see.

Well I’d ask them in the interview which visa they propose. Frankly, I’d consider it something of a red flag if they have not already consulted with an immigration lawyer as to the feasibility of employing foreign applicants before they invite them in for interview.
Old May 21st 2019, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Telephone 'chat' at this stage. I will definitely be asking lots of questions about visas.
Old May 21st 2019, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking at the EB-2 Visa, is that also an option?
It's an option if the company are happy to go down that route. Be prepared for them not to be though, a lot of companies wouldn't be happy with you going straight to a 'green card' as then it means you're not tied to them and are free to go and work elsewhere. But definitely worth asking about.

Good luck with the interview, hopefully they have the visa side of things all in hand and are happy to wait until Oct next year for you, or have a Plan B up their sleeve! Hope it goes well.