Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US and starting a childminding business

Moving to the US and starting a childminding business

Old Apr 6th 2015, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

MarieAP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the US and starting a childminding business

Hello, I'm a childminder living in the UK and I really want to move to the states. Can anybody tell me how easy or difficult it would be to start my own childminding/daycare business in the states?
It's something I really want to do so any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US and starting a childminding business

If that is your plan, it is impossible unless you have a substantial investment (think $200k+, more is better) to start or buy a business, (and probably arrange additional financing when you have no US credit history, which at best will be extremely difficult), in which case you would need to apply for an E-2 visa. ..... You would need to find a business seller of such a business, or the owners of suitable premises to rent, who are willing to wait for several months while the sale is "in escrow" while your visa is bring processed.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 6th 2015 at 8:35 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Wow, well I certainly don't have those funds. I wasn't expecting it to be that difficult, I thought I'd be able to buy or rent a home and start my business from there the same way I do it here.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I've not really seen any childcare practices like UK childminding. Seems to be mostly daycare centres and looking after the children at the parent's house.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No, unfortunately it's not that that easy.

Rene
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

I've looked into being a nanny as it's pretty much the same thing but at their home opposed to mine. The only problem is I have a one year old and nanny's who have their own children get paid half as much as those who don't. It wouldn't really be worth my while.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarieAP
I've looked into being a nanny as it's pretty much the same thing but at their home opposed to mine. The only problem is I have a one year old and nanny's who have their own children get paid half as much as those who don't. It wouldn't really be worth my while.
I'd suggest you read this Wiki article to see the kind of jobs that would qualify for an employment based visa for the US and enable you to move permanently. Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

HTH.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarieAP
Hello, I'm a childminder living in the UK and I really want to move to the states. Can anybody tell me how easy or difficult it would be to start my own childminding/daycare business in the states?
It's something I really want to do so any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated
Depending on the regulations of the state in which you set up the business, you would be subject to background checks, bonding, high liability insurance rates, and local laws governing such operations.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I've not really seen any childcare practices like UK childminding. Seems to be mostly daycare centres and looking after the children at the parent's house.
"In home daycare" is very common, though not widely publicized. Given that (i) they are around half the cost/child of a place at a "daycare centre", but (ii) are capped at, IIRC, only five children/adult (in NC, which I assume is fairly typical), these in-home childcare businesses are often filled entirely by word-of-mouth through friends, neighbours, church, and work.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 6th 2015 at 8:36 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Depending on the regulations of the state in which you set up the business, you would be subject to background checks, bonding, high liability insurance rates, and local laws governing such operations.
Typically HOAs prohibit using your home as a business premises, and while some people fly under the radar, if you have parents coming and going dropping off and collecting children it is rather hard to avoid being noticed.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Typically HOAs prohibit using your home as a business premises, and while some people fly under the radar, if you have parents coming and going dropping off and collecting children it is rather hard to avoid being noticed.
I wasn't even thinking of a home -- the only way something like this might fly for a visa would be buying an E-2 business, with "real" rented premises, not something going on in the basement!
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:33 pm

Might I ask why you are interested in moving to America, especially with a small child? .... And you make it sound like you're a single parent, so do you realise you would need the father's permission (or a court order) to remove your child from the UK? ..... Do you have any particular state in mind?
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I wasn't even thinking of a home -- the only way something like this might fly for a visa would be buying an E-2 business, with "real" rented premises, not something going on in the basement!
Agreed 110%, as per my post #2, above.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed 110%, as per my post #2, above.
LOL -- I wasn't sure why you brought up a home business, as my post was thinking in terms of the regs governing a legit concern such as you mentioned in #2, not a "just drop 'em off at my place" arrangement!
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you meant running an agency or something like that.

Childminding where we lived was either after-school clubs or 'housekeepers' from Central/South America.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.