Moving to US soon ,little confused about SSN and ID

Wikiposts

Moving to US soon ,little confused about SSN and ID

Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Mauro77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to US soon ,little confused about SSN and ID

Hi all!

I know this is British forum about USA and im not from GB but i hope some of you will know answer to my question/s !

Im moving to US - Arizona very soon (won GC lottery) and would like to know some things.

When i come to US should i go first to get SSN or ID?

I heard that Soc.Sic. number is immposible to get without local ID/licence.
But i heard also that ID-licence is not possible to get without SSN !

I will have only my passport with visa with me .
I dont know if it is it will be enough!

One more thing.

I reserved first 7 days in one hotel in phoenix arizona.

When i go to SOC.SIC.office will they ask me where i live?
If i give them adress of my friend will they tell me to go to nearest SS office of that adress?

This is very confusing,
thanx for help!

Dario
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:38 am
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US soon ,little confused about SSN and ID

To get a ssn all you have to do is to prove your immigration status and they will issue you with one within 10 days. Similarily for a driving licence you only have to prove your immigrant status then you can take the test. Your passport with the relevant visa will be enough.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:39 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mauro77
Hi all!

I know this is British forum about USA and im not from GB but i hope some of you will know answer to my question/s !

Im moving to US - Arizona very soon (won GC lottery) and would like to know some things.

When i come to US should i go first to get SSN or ID?

I heard that Soc.Sic. number is immposible to get without local ID/licence.
But i heard also that ID-licence is not possible to get without SSN !

I will have only my passport with visa with me .
I dont know if it is it will be enough!

One more thing.

I reserved first 7 days in one hotel in phoenix arizona.

When i go to SOC.SIC.office will they ask me where i live?
If i give them adress of my friend will they tell me to go to nearest SS office of that adress?

This is very confusing,
thanx for help!

Dario
Hi Mauro,

You just need to show the social security people the stamp you'll get at customs and one other form of identity. You'll be a permenant resident the moment you clear secondary inspection at POE. Form is here. You'll need to go in person. You can use your friend's address.

The driving licence should be no problem, either, but they may only issue it for one year to start.

Welcome to Phoenix!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

one note..

if you go for you SSN within the first week they WILL NOT have your details on record and WILL have to send off by post for verification on your status. This can take up to 60 days.

if you wait about 10 days THEN apply for your SSN you WILL be fine and recieve it within another 2 weeks.

this is not speculation or guesswork.. its from the experiences of me and my friends and colleagues

andy
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
one note..

if you go for you SSN within the first week they WILL NOT have your details on record and WILL have to send off by post for verification on your status. This can take up to 60 days.

if you wait about 10 days THEN apply for your SSN you WILL be fine and recieve it within another 2 weeks.

this is not speculation or guesswork.. its from the experiences of me and my friends and colleagues

andy
I agree, don't go too early otherwise it will take longer, we waited 7 days from arriving
Old Feb 4th 2005, 10:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
That's a good point....and once OP get's own gaff, just go to the social office for a change of address, and it can be at any office.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Mauro77 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanx guys

you are really fast with answers!

I didnt know that, i will wait 7 days than before apply for SSN.

I hope it will not take long time before i get SSN,ID and GC !

I will need to work and without SSN and ID i think it will be difficould to find employer!

I will go first to get driving licence,hope its not difficould to past test!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Karlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant futureKarlshammar has a brilliant future

When you do apply for a Social Security number, ask for "Form SSA-5028 (Receipt for Application for a Social Security Card)." Showing this to an employer will allow you to work before you get your actual number/card, but you have to submit your actual card to the employer within 90 days. That way you won't have to wait to start working.

Originally Posted by Mauro77
thanx guys

you are really fast with answers!

I didnt know that, i will wait 7 days than before apply for SSN.

I hope it will not take long time before i get SSN,ID and GC !

I will need to work and without SSN and ID i think it will be difficould to find employer!

I will go first to get driving licence,hope its not difficould to past test!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:41 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for my SSN the day after I arrived in Phoenix and I got my card 2 weeks later. By the way, I recommend going to the Glendale DMV to get your license, as it's a new office and a nice neighbourhood, so you won't have to wait in a queue with gang members. They were very efficient and quick.