Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US - shipping companies

Moving to the US - shipping companies

Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to the US - shipping companies

Hi,

I'm looking ahead to my move to the US and would like to canvas the forum for advice on packing and shipping. I've got a small amount of stuff, and I'm not intending on taking anything resembling furniture (have been renting all my life and tend not to splash out on anything) however I do have some things that I want to make sure I take with me. Mostly kitchen equipment (dutch ovens, knives, nothing electrical), sentimental things and books which I expect will take up a reasonable amount of space and/or weight.

What would be a reasonable ballpark figure to budget for, and does anyone have any recommendations/do's and don'ts on this topic?
Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US - shipping companies

How long is a piece of string?

Sorry, but I can't envise how much kitchen stuff, books, and things of sentimental value you have. Is it 2-3 2ftx2ftx2ft packing boxes, or is it several pallets of stuff?

The cost could be as little as £300 or as much as £2,500 within what I would guess are the lower and upper bounds of the range of what one individual's kitchen stuff, books, and sentimental things would typically fall.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 31st 2016 at 3:13 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

You're right there, I need to plan out exactly what I'm wanting to bring, it's tough tbh as while I'm used to moving (8 addresses in 10 years!) that's normally been an all or nothing approach.

I'd say probably somewhere between 15-20 2x2x2 boxes would be a good ballpark?
Old Aug 31st 2016, 3:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a couple of pallets shipped by surface, so I'd guess around £1,000-£1,200 in a shared container, given that having a truck pick up and deliver your things will be a good part of the cost, which is a fixed cost whether your shipping 5 boxes or 50.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 6:53 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pugilation
I'd say probably somewhere between 15-20 2x2x2 boxes would be a good ballpark?
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sounds like a couple of pallets shipped by surface, so I'd guess around £1,000-£1,200 in a shared container, given that having a truck pick up and deliver your things will be a good part of the cost, which is a fixed cost whether your shipping 5 boxes or 50.
When I was packing up our stuff I could fit 30 standard banana boxes full of books on one presswood Europallet (1200mm x 1000mm) and still move it around on a pallet truck. I pallet wrapped them and then strapped them. All arrived safe and sound.
Attached Thumbnails Moving to the US - shipping companies-img_20150720_165505_nopm_.jpg  

Last edited by lizzyq; Aug 31st 2016 at 7:14 pm. Reason: Correction to detail & Pulaski made me measure a banana box....
Old Aug 31st 2016, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq
When I was packing up our stuff I could fit 30 standard banana boxes full of books on one presswood Europallet (1200mm x 800mm) .....
That's a funny shaped (non-standard) pallet.

The most common "metric pallet" is 1,200mmx1,000mm, and 24 of them fill a standard "40ft" (12m) international shipping container.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 7:13 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's a funny shaped (non-standard) pallet.

The most common "metric pallet" is 1,200mmx1,000mm, and 24 of them fill a standard "40ft" (12m) international shipping container.
You are correct (of course ), it was 6 boxes at 400mm x 500mm x 240mm per layer on a 1200mm x 1000mm pallet. We used both sizes 1200mm x 800mm & 1200mm x 1000mm. I think I got the smaller ones when the larger ones were unavailable from my suppliers.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

Must love dogs is an unknown quantity at this point

I used upackweship 80 large boxes in a 20sq ft container cost was over $4,000
They do have cheaper options.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Must love dogs
I used upackweship 80 large boxes in a 20 sq ft container cost was over $4,000. .....
FIFY - 20ft is the length of the container.

It sounds to me like the OP has about one quarter of what you took/ the space you needed, which is why I suggested they're likely to get the best deal with a shared container.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

Must love dogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes that was the length.
I was told that this was the cheapest way to ship my boxes. As a shared contained would be more expensively.
They also offer pallets service.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all, v useful info and helps me set my budget properly. Time to wield the axe at my stack of possessions!
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like shipping rates may increase in the very near future
Hanjin Shipping: One company with 2.9% market share roils global trade
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
It looks like shipping rates may increase in the very near future
Hanjin Shipping: One company with 2.9% market share roils global trade
The percentage of the cost of shipping personal effects from the UK to the US, or vice versa, that goes to the operator of the ship is pretty tiny. Most of the cost is in packing, unpacking, and collection and delivery i.e. the labour intensive bits.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 10:13 am
Conditional Resident

Mangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond reputeMangaboy84 has a reputation beyond repute

Shipping Via Airfreight : British Expat Wiki

This was useful for my shipping planning but i was looking at 46x46x46cm boxes plus a pallet full of tools.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Very handy, thanks for posting the link!