British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to US Jan 2020. Need advice with finances (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-us-jan-2020-need-advice-finances-923076/)

asmith2017 Mar 9th 2019 8:38 pm

Moving to US Jan 2020. Need advice with finances

Hello,
I appreciate if someone can take time to help with the below.

I plan to move to California next January having had a green card for 3 years now.
I have paid to my retirement scheme for 14 months now so it'd be just over 2 years of contribution when I move. I will have had NI contribution for 9 years.
Wondering if I should stop paying to my retirement scheme now or continue paying? Having read other thread it seems to be difficult to transfer to US?
How about the NI contribution. Should I make voluntary payments after moving?

Also, I'm worried I will have no credit record in US when I move so not sure if I can lease a car or rent for example? Is there a way to build up credit? Do banks like HSBC value UK credit in their US branches?
Thanks
Allen

Hotscot Mar 9th 2019 8:59 pm

Re: Moving to US Jan 2020. Need advice with finances

Welcome.

Retirement scheme. Correct. Don't try to move it. Leave it where it is and collect when it becomes available.
No further contributions allowed..

NI voluntary contributions. Yes, Contribute if allowed.

Credit. It doesn't take long to build. You may get more questions on this.

There's further posts on these topics for which you can search.

Just curious.
How did you get your Green Card?
Have you been a tax resident before?
Will you be trying to line up a job before you come? (Might like to think about a virtual address and phone number.)
Which part are you coming to? Buy or rent?

Good luck!

Owen778 Mar 9th 2019 9:00 pm

I have bad news. There's quite a lot of information missing from your post, but it sounds like you have had a green card for three years, while living outside the US. It is very likely that after that amount of time, your green card is considered abandoned by USCIS, and so not valid.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/aft...nent-residence

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:
  • Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
    • The reason for your trip;
    • How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
    • Any other circumstances of your absence; and
    • Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
    • Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns.

asmith2017 Mar 9th 2019 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 12650846)
I have bad news. There's quite a lot of information missing from your post, but it sounds like you have had a green card for three years, while living outside the US. It is very likely that after that amount of time, your green card is considered abandoned by USCIS, and so not valid.

Thanks for the heads up. I have a re-entry permit.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 9th 2019 9:59 pm

Also wondering how you have maintained status for 3 years.

asmith2017 Mar 9th 2019 10:02 pm

thanks for the advice.
Got the green card through diversity lottery as an Irish- German.
Not sure what a tax resident is. Never lived in the US if that helps answer.
I'm applying for jobs. Have an ex classmate there so can use his address.
LA, renting initially until I'm sure I like it there.
Cheers

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 9th 2019 10:03 pm

You got your GC 3 years ago, how have you maintained it living in the UK?

asmith2017 Mar 9th 2019 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12650865)
You got your GC 3 years ago, how have you maintained it living in the UK?

you're allowed to get 2 consecutive re-entry clearances. I'm in the middle of my second one.

Owen778 Mar 9th 2019 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by asmith2017 (Post 12650861)

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 12650846)

That may not be enough. It sounds like you haven't done anything else to maintain status, and you haven't been filing a US tax return. You might want to have a consultation with an immigration attorney, rather than making a lot of plans and then being turned away at LA airport.

asmith2017 Mar 9th 2019 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 12650872)
That may not be enough. It sounds like you haven't done anything else to maintain status, and you haven't been filing a US tax return. You might want to have a consultation with an immigration attorney, rather than making a lot of plans and then being turned away at LA airport.

I go to US at least once a year, last time this past Christmas and never was questioned or anything. I'll talk to an attorney re the tax law though. Cheers

Noorah101 Mar 9th 2019 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by asmith2017 (Post 12650868)
you're allowed to get 2 consecutive re-entry clearances. I'm in the middle of my second one.

Having a re-entry permit in and of itself does not guarantee maintenance of your PR status. You just admitted that you've never lived in the USA. In order to maintain PR status, the USA must be your permanent home, trips abroad must be temporary in nature, and you need to be able to prove all this. If you were outside the USA due to being a student, that is usually a valid enough reason, but if it was just your personal decision, it may not work out.

Have you been filing a US tax return during the years since you became a US PR? US PRs are required to report all worldwide income. Have you maintained a US address? US bank? You must have ties to the USA in order to maintain US PR status while abroad.

Rene

Noorah101 Mar 9th 2019 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by asmith2017 (Post 12650874)
I go to US at least once a year, last time this past Christmas and never was questioned or anything. I'll talk to an attorney re the tax law though. Cheers

It's a myth that visiting the USA once a year maintains PR status. I'd say you got lucky so far.

Rene

asmith2017 Mar 9th 2019 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12650876)
It's a myth that visiting the USA once a year maintains PR status. I'd say you got lucky so far.

Rene

Thanks for the information.
I have been a student in UK until last January, although I was working part time at the same time.
Have maintained a bank account, an address, and got a drivers license last summer.
Never filed tax return.
Can I file tax return when I move? How often does it need to be done?
Thanks
Allen

Noorah101 Mar 9th 2019 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by asmith2017 (Post 12650878)
Thanks for the information.
I have been a student in UK until last January, although I was working part time at the same time.
Have maintained a bank account, an address, and got a drivers license last summer.
Never filed tax return.
Can I file tax return when I move? How often does it need to be done?
Thanks
Allen

And what have you been doing since January 2019, and why are you not moving ASAP rather than waiting another year until January 2020?

Interesting that you maintain a US address but claim to never have lived in the USA.

If you were only working part time, you might not have earned enough income to warrant filing a US tax return, so double check www.irs.gov.

Rene

SanDiegogirl Mar 9th 2019 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by asmith2017 (Post 12650861)

deleted .....