Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US - Health Insurance?

Moving to the US - Health Insurance?

Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

mayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nice
Default Moving to the US - Health Insurance?

I'm an American citizen, my husband is the Brit and we are planning on relocating to the U.S. early 2014 (me at the end of January, him end of February).

I'm really concerned about our health care options and what would happen to our savings if one of us got seriously ill or injured. I feel like we are risking so much financially by just stepping foot on U.S. soil!

Any advice or tips on what we can do until one or both of us secure a job that will provide health care?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US - Health Insurance?

Originally Posted by mayb
I'm an American citizen, my husband is the Brit and we are planning on relocating to the U.S. early 2014 (me at the end of January, him end of February).

I'm really concerned about our health care options and what would happen to our savings if one of us got seriously ill or injured. I feel like we are risking so much financially by just stepping foot on U.S. soil!

Any advice or tips on what we can do until one or both of us secure a job that will provide health care?
Plenty of threads on this.

But ... if you don't have work, check your eligibility for Medicaid through the Health Insurance Marketplace, that's a possible option.

https://www.healthcare.gov/ or http://www.medicaid.gov/

Your partner can apply for short-term Medicaid I believe without jeapordising their Permanent Resident status, but there are also different provisions depending on the state you live in.

Otherwise, use the search function on the forum as this question crops up pretty frequently.

Hoffage

Last edited by hoffage123; Dec 19th 2013 at 9:47 am.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 9:45 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Individual plans are all you can do if you do not have access to an employer-subsidized scheme, depending on what state you are moving to. Be prepared to either a) pay through the teeth on premiums or b) pay through the teeth on deductibles.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

mayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nice

Originally Posted by civilservant
Individual plans are all you can do if you do not have access to an employer-subsidized scheme, depending on what state you are moving to. Be prepared to either a) pay through the teeth on premiums or b) pay through the teeth on deductibles.
Just what I feared not much of a better option than just risking it. Ugh the health care side of things really makes me think twice about moving back to the US.

and sorry I should have used the search forum I can imagine this question pops up quite frequently.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Just what I feared not much of a better option than just risking it. Ugh the health care side of things really makes me think twice about moving back to the US.

and sorry I should have used the search forum I can imagine this question pops up quite frequently.
If you are getting there earlier, you have more options than he does.

Also, more of an opportunity to find work that does pay for insurance/subsidise in part - I would suggest you get your networking and job-search into high gear now, so that you have a decent shot at landing something before you get there. You have the advantage of already having an SS card and work authorisation, being a US Citizen.

Be proactive!

Hoffage
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hoffage123
If you are getting there earlier, you have more options than he does.

Also, more of an opportunity to find work that does pay for insurance/subsidise in part - I would suggest you get your networking and job-search into high gear now, so that you have a decent shot at landing something before you get there. You have the advantage of already having an SS card and work authorisation, being a US Citizen.

Be proactive!

Hoffage
Yes, that's the attitude I need right now!

I'm wondering if he could get some type of long term travel insurance to begin with?

It would be a dream to find any type of job that offers some type of insurance before he gets over!

Currently still waiting for his case number from the Dept of State so we can get his medical scheduled so it's possible it could be March sometime before he comes over!
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:59 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if he could get some type of long term travel insurance to begin with?
He could if he was a tourist, but the second he goes through immigration he's a resident - and most travel insurance won't cover someone in that situation.

It would be a dream to find any type of job that offers some type of insurance before he gets over!
You'll almost certainly have to serve at least 90 days before being eligible to enroll - and only then if they offer open enrollment to new hires, rather than having to wait until the next annual enrollment.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 12:39 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

He could if he was a tourist, but the second he goes through immigration he's a resident - and most travel insurance won't cover someone in that situation.

You'll almost certainly have to serve at least 90 days before being eligible to enroll - and only then if they offer open enrollment to new hires, rather than having to wait until the next annual enrollment.
All permanent jobs I've ever gone into in the US have provided full healthcare coverage from day one. So I think your "almost certainly" is an overstatement.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 1:08 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by robin1234
All permanent jobs I've ever gone into in the US have provided full healthcare coverage from day one. So I think your "almost certainly" is an overstatement.
And none I have had.

YMMV, especially if you walk into a well paid job, rather than 'on the front lines' in the service industry.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

When we arrived I searched for Health Insurance for new immigrants. Patriot America do a form of travel insurance that covers just that and the cost was less than expected. Obviously it is not comprehensive but covers the catastrophies that would concern you. It can be active for a maximum of two years and can be cancelled on a monthly basis.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 2:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

And none I have had.

YMMV, especially if you walk into a well paid job, rather than 'on the front lines' in the service industry.
I agree, I think that is the difference. Professional, government, education sector jobs often come with healthcare from day one
Old Dec 19th 2013, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I think that is the difference. Professional, government, education sector jobs often come with healthcare from day one
We had to wait 90 days - scientific research post in a hospital.

PS I can't remember with his second job at a university - maybe that means we didn't have a waiting period.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

What state are you planning to go to? If California you can use California Covered. It will cover and even subsidize recent immigrants.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 6:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back to the States end of 2006 and retired. My wife is a USC. We purchased private health insurance for both of us, until this year when I got Medicare. My wife has diabetics and is in the Oregon State High Risk Pool, which still requires us to pay full premiums. In the time we have been here I have required major surgery to remove a tumor effecting my spinal cord.

We moved back knowing we would both eventually qualify for Medicare, but I can't say we worry about what it was costing or might cost us. It certainly hasn't been a financial crippler. The most, apart from premiums, we have had to pay out in anyone year was $4000 towards my surgery. That surgery cost my insurance company more than the total premiums I had paid them, so I obviously consider buying insurance better than risking it.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 9:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And I've seen plenty of others that don't provide benefits till day 30/90 or within the first 12 months and not just minimum wage jobs either. Plenty of others won't offer it till you've passed probation or some sort of qualifying certificate if one is required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.