Reload this Page >

Moving to the US - Florida?

Moving to the US - Florida?

Old Feb 5th 2020, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

OxfordUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to the US - Florida?

Hello,

My family will be moving to the US in the next 2-3 months and we are trying to decided where to locate. We have 3 teenage kids (oldest 17), package relocation, insurance etc. and salary is about $225k plus a potential $100k bonus.

We considered various places in California (bay area and LA etc.) but they are just to expensive.

We would enjoy the weather and good schools and safety are a must of course. Tampa seems to be a great location, very affordable. Anywhere in Florida outside of Miami we would consider (my husband works from home or travels on a plane).

Any advice on Tampa or other Florida locations? Or outside of Florida for that matter. Also Tampa locations to live and good schools? We would prefer the suburbs and more rural/space.

Thanks for any advice.

Old Feb 5th 2020, 1:56 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US - Florida?

Welcome to the forum. There are a couple of members in the area who have what you're asking for, zzrmark down by Bradenton and Rich in Tampa.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Excellent thanks.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Florida and good schools are not an obvious combination.

Have you been to Florida in the summer.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Yes we have been during summer.

Schools around the Tampa area seem reasonable, quite different to Miami.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:30 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

We're up in Tallahassee, Been here 20 years.
Considered Tampa, but passed.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 11:25 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I am in St Petersburg, and have no clue on schools except my coworkers teens go to Gaither high I think it's called in Tampa.
For somewhere to live I like safety harbor.
Tampa airport does not have the greatest number of direct destinations, but there is also clearwater/st pete. You might want to check destinations if travel is a major thing.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

How odd to go to all the trouble of transferring someone to the US and then they work from home. They could do that just as efficiently from the UK.

.... and these folks who can go locate to anywhere in the US always end up asking about Florida or California (funny that...)
Old Feb 6th 2020, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

So, is the office/are the clients based in California? You might want to consider the time difference if he has to do conference calls, virtual meetings, etc. I work for a company that has employees all over the country and when we have video conferences or virtual meetings it could mean I have to be up at 5.00 am or it could mean that someone has to be at their desk at 8.00 pm. Also, if he has to go to the office for something, who will pay the air fares and accommodation? It's not like living in Oxford and working in London where you can get a train there and back for the day. If you're in Tampa and he has to attend a training or any other office-based activity for the day it'll be a 7-hour flight plus you would need hotel, rental car, etc. You will actually be almost closer to the UK in Tampa than you would to his office in LA. Would the company be happy to pony up for all those additional expenses on the days he needs to be in the office? If they are happy to have people only come to the office once a year/quarter or something, one wonders why he needs to be in the US at all? Why uproot the whole family for that? He can surely work in the UK and then fly here once or twice or four times a year for when it's needed.

I'm just wondering how this arrangement will fly for visa requirements.
Old Feb 6th 2020, 1:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

2 accounts have been opened from the same family. Both have opened threads re moving Cal/Fla. To avoid confusion I am closing this thread...please read/reply in the following thread.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-...fornia-930849/