Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US - a few questions...

Moving to US - a few questions...

Old Apr 11th 2005, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Brighton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to US - a few questions...

Q1. I've been trying to look into how the healthcare in the US works - as I gather they don't have an NHS type of system like we do in the UK and medical care can be extremely expensive so insurance is a must.

However, things like contraceptive pills are free of charge on perscription in the UK via a local GP - how does something like this work in the US?

Q2. Also, I have a number of electrical items I really don't want to part with and wondered if there is any possible way they can be adapted from the UK 240 volts to US 110 volts? If it is possible, is it very expensive/can it be done in the US etc...? Or would it be better to sell these items before moving and buy new in the US (some are wedding presents so have sentimental value)?

I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!
Old Apr 11th 2005, 9:27 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US - a few questions...

Originally Posted by Brighton
Q1. I've been trying to look into how the healthcare in the US works - as I gather they don't have an NHS type of system like we do in the UK and medical care can be extremely expensive so insurance is a must.

However, things like contraceptive pills are free of charge on perscription in the UK via a local GP - how does something like this work in the US?
Are you moving to the US as result of a transfer by your employer or hire by an American employer? If it's one of the two, I would be surprised if your employer did not offer at least one health plan. If this is the case, then I'd check with the health plan provider.

If you are coming to the US for any other reason, please check previous threads on the subject of "healthcare", "medical insurance" and similar words and phrases in the US. This topic comes up most frequently.

Q2. Also, I have a number of electrical items I really don't want to part with and wondered if there is any possible way they can be adapted from the UK 240 volts to US 110 volts? If it is possible, is it very expensive/can it be done in the US etc...? Or would it be better to sell these items before moving and buy new in the US (some are wedding presents so have sentimental value)?

I had to sell my beloved hi-fi system prior to emigrating to the US. Voltage converters are a possibility but are very expensive and you have to calculate the voltage correctly to deal with the peaks in usage of the item.

Frankly, I don't think it's worth your while. Again, there have been theads on this topic in this forum. Please conduct a search.

NC Penguin
Old Apr 11th 2005, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

hciman77 will become famous soon enough

My Wife and I pay $400 per month for health insurance - this is perhaps a bit on the high side but the coverage is pretty good - execpt the dental which is a joke.

It is possible to get step up transformers but it can be expensive for things like hairdryers which draw a lot of power i.e 1800+ watts - you might have to spend $100. Another thing is that here the leccy is 60hz not 50hz so some things may run a bit hot. In general electrical goods are pretty cheap - i.e you can buy a DVD player for $40 - it will be c*** though
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Things like hairdryers are so cheap here you are better off getting one in Walgreens.

You will have to pay for contraception here however if you have health insurance most of the cost is bourne by them. However its a real pain in the arse as the doctors only prescribe the pill on a monthly basis and so you have to call them every month for a repeat presciption and then go to the chemist to collect 1 packet. I pay $10 a month, my insurance company pays about $15 or $20.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:33 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Health insurance is daylight robbery, you still pay for Dr visits and prescriptions

sell all your electrical stuff and buy new
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
However its a real pain in the arse as the doctors only prescribe the pill on a monthly basis and so you have to call them every month for a repeat presciption and then go to the chemist to collect 1 packet.
This is weird! Doctors usually prescribe long-term medications for anything up to a year. You still need to go to the pharmacy and collect every month (unless you use a mail order service), but you shouldn't need to get a repeat prescription every month unless you are either: 1) newly on the medication; and/or 2) in a high risk group for the medication's side effects.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
This is weird! Doctors usually prescribe long-term medications for anything up to a year. You still need to go to the pharmacy and collect every month (unless you use a mail order service), but you shouldn't need to get a repeat prescription every month unless you are either: 1) newly on the medication; and/or 2) in a high risk group for the medication's side effects.
On something like BC pills, I believe the pharmacy will call the doctor each month on your behalf, if that's necessary. It shouldn't need a whole new prescription each month...most likely one prescription per year, with a call in to the doctor each month at refill time...but again the pharmacist can make the call to get the OK from the doctor.

Rene
Old Apr 12th 2005, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
God dont panic me! I'm not high risk but I think the doc wants me to have a pap test (is that too much info?) anyway I wasnt aware my pharmacist could call the doc for me, they have never told me that even though I told them I didnt know how the system worked from the outset. I will speak to them
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:09 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

all drugs are chargeable it just depends on whether its you or a insurance company paying for them

most electrical items can easily be used in the USA by getting a converter

yes - a lot of items are cheap in america, but they are often of low quality compared to the euro equivilent, and if some of your stuff has sentimental value then I would defintely ship it. if its not sentimental and the original cost was low then obviously don't ship it

loads of people say buy new in the USA, but if you had just dropped a couple of K on a plasma TV or other high $$$ item, then I think you would be stupid NOT to ship it.

voltage converters are actually very cheap - check this out -

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/ind...atalog6_0.html

i shipped over a stereo and an expresso machine - both work great after two years of using transformers

Last edited by BritGuyTN; Apr 12th 2005 at 10:11 am.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Q3.
you said you're a US Citizen.
you have been filing tax returns since the age of 18 correct?
Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Manc
Q3.
you said you're a US Citizen.
you have been filing tax returns since the age of 18 correct?
If I recall correctly, you only need to file if you are earning above a certain amount. Best check what the IRS says, but my wife - a USC - did not have to file while we were living in the UK.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

licon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scorchio
If I recall correctly, you only need to file if you are earning above a certain amount. Best check what the IRS says, but my wife - a USC - did not have to file while we were living in the UK.
I'd be careful about that. I think if you earn *any* income you're supposed to file a US tax form. You may not pay tax on it (foreign-earned and -taxed income is excluded) but you still need to file.

I've just filed 4 years of back paperwork. I don't even file a return in the UK - PAYE is great - so it was a major hassle but I had to do it.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 1:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The pill, that'll depend on which state your in, some are easy, some aren't, but chances are, without medical, it'll cost around $40 a month...and medical insurance might not touch it...the missus' doesn't, but they'll tab for an abortion, makes perfect sense that don't it *lol*