Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US with dog

Moving to US with dog

Old Jan 3rd 2021, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Blanca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to US with dog

Has anyone travelled recently from Scotland to USA with dog in cabin? Any airline recommendations etc? I will be moving (probably in April) to New York and I am taking my tiny dog with me. I am looking at different options: Cunard cruise from Southampton to NY (7 nights is a bit long though for my doggie to stay in their kennels) so I am guessing the best way will be to fly. I ONLY consider taking my dog in cabin because he only weights 4kg (not as cargo etc). I am looking at KLM/ Airfrance or thinking of driving to EU and flying directly from there (either Germany or Poland - have family there) with Lufthansa, SAS or LOT. I would be very grateful for any recommendations/experiences/advices.

Last edited by Blanca; Jan 3rd 2021 at 9:43 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 11:49 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US with dog

Originally Posted by Blanca
Has anyone travelled recently from Scotland to USA with dog in cabin? Any airline recommendations etc? I will be moving (probably in April) to New York and I am taking my tiny dog with me. I am looking at different options: Cunard cruise from Southampton to NY (7 nights is a bit long though for my doggie to stay in their kennels) so I am guessing the best way will be to fly. I ONLY consider taking my dog in cabin because he only weights 4kg (not as cargo etc). I am looking at KLM/ Airfrance or thinking of driving to EU and flying directly from there (either Germany or Poland - have family there) with Lufthansa, SAS or LOT. I would be very grateful for any recommendations/experiences/advices.
I have seen dogs in BF on United... I assume they got a “emotional support animal” letter from a doctor to be allowed to bring it in the cabin.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 11:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

This link will give you the airlines which allow dogs in the cabin for a fee. TATL you have a choice of 6. My niece always uses Delta when she goes to Germany with her dog and speaks highly of them.

https://www.petsthattravel.com/airli...dogs-in-cabin/

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 3rd 2021 at 11:57 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I have seen dogs in BF on United... I assume they got a “emotional support animal” letter from a doctor to be allowed to bring it in the cabin.
Not required, many airlines permit pets in the cabin, link from lansbury great summary on options. Different rules, requirements and options for service animals.
Old Jan 4th 2021, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
Not required, many airlines permit pets in the cabin, link from lansbury great summary on options. Different rules, requirements and options for service animals.

As of Jan 4th Emotional support animals are classed as pets and airlines will have no obligation to especially accommodate them.

https://www.outsideonline.com/241946...t-dog-ban-good

Too many people taking advantage of the 'emotional support animal' description to avoid paying the fees one has to pay for small animals travelling in the cabin in travelling containers.

Old Jan 4th 2021, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
As of Jan 4th Emotional support animals are classed as pets and airlines will have no obligation to especially accommodate them.

https://www.outsideonline.com/241946...t-dog-ban-good

Too many people taking advantage of the 'emotional support animal' description to avoid paying the fees one has to pay for small animals travelling in the cabin in travelling containers.
My SO is going through this now, check with the Airline the new paperwork you need, I think she said it is $75 and you can do it on line.

I looked at South West and they limited pets in Cabins but with the paperwork there is no limit and cheaper. Think they wanted $95.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved here around 3 years back, my wife came via Cunard with the dog and I flew in.
she says the experience of the journey in Cunard is amazing and wants to repeat it.

When we tried the fly option, m we concluded that flying in or out from the UK to US with a dog in cabin is really difficult. Check options such as Amsterdam or Paris so you can get there driving.

Keep us posted on how you do it.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Blanca is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank your for all the replies, especially for sharing your experience with Cunard cruises. It's tempting but I am worried about my doggie staying in the kennel for 7 nights - can you visit them anytime day and night or only during set times? Another question is is it true that you can take as many bags as you want with you and there is no limit?
If anyone else is able to share their experience (flying to US with dog in cabin) I would be very grateful.

Last edited by Blanca; Jan 5th 2021 at 7:38 am.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank your for all the replies, especially for sharing your experience with Cunard cruises. It's tempting but I am worried about my doggie staying in the kennel for 7 nights - can you visit them anytime day and night or only during set times? Another question is is it true that you can take as many bags as you want with you and there is no limit?
If anyone else is able to share their experience (flying to US with dog in cabin) I would be very grateful.
Hi, we were supposed to be relocating to California in March but it has been put back to September time, assuming things have calmed down a fair bit by then. We have a rough collie and aussie shepherd that are moving with us. We toyed around with looking for a route where we could fly the dogs in the cabin but have decided that this in itself is probably too traumatic, mainly for us as opposed to the dogs. The collie is a poor traveller in the car and spends much of any journey whimpering with the occasional bark and it just wouldn't be fair in subjecting the surrounding passengers to this for 11 hours. Plus, when he gets anxious, he has snapped a couple of times and unfortunately, he is the sort of fluffy dog that adults and kids just love to pet, recipe for disaster in a confined aeroplane if you ask me. Of course, if he was the kind of dog to instantly settle and didn't have a nervous disposition, then it might play out differently but for us, the lesser of 3 evils (cargo, cabin, ship), we will go with cargo.

Probably the main advantage you have is that you have a small dog.

Best.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

by parts;
1- you can visit the kennels’ deck at any times betweek 7.30am and 8.00pm (or something like that). If you want you can stay in the indoor or outdoor all the time, up to you.
At night, nobody is there in the kennels unless there is an emergency.
The dog is meant to be inside the crate unless the owner is supervising, so it is up to you to spend time with your dog and compromise time on other activities. My wife spent a lot of time there but some other owners left the dog on day 1 and only went twice a day to take them out. Other people paid a person to travel to take care of the dog while they were enjoying the journey. Up to you.

2- you can travel with as many bags as you want, it is true... although I am not sure if you arrive with a lorry full of boxes they will accept. When I left my wife on the harbour I saw people with these LV trunks travelling.

My dog has traveled now a few times and I have to say my pref are:

1- cabin outside a crate - ESA - it seems it will be over soon. Although for now the only US carrier who took stand is Alaskan, the rest continue to accept them.
2 - cunard
3- on the hold (i will never put him down on the hold as he is a french bulldog and not likely to survive)
Old Jan 5th 2021, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...ervice-animals

ACAA controls US Airlines and the rules have changed significantly
Old Jan 5th 2021, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Just read that AA also banned ESA... so expecting now that SkyTeam and StarAlliance carriers will do the same.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by circusplaza
Just read that AA also banned ESA... so expecting now that SkyTeam and StarAlliance carriers will do the same.
Nope

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ce-animals.jsp
Old Jan 5th 2021, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I take it from what you have posted you are already aware that your dog cannot travel in the cabin from the UK. In normal times I would certainly use the QM2 option, but even in normal times the kennels are usually booked 12 months in advance. Some people have managed to get a cancellation. I doubt the QM2 will be sailing to NYC this spring, so I think you would be best to fly from an EU airport, as you suggested. Dozens of our members have transported dogs in the hold, some from as far away as Oz, without problems. I think airlines are much more aware of animal safety than they were a few years ago. I have read the crew check on the animals during the flight.

I have a small dog and honestly do not know what I would do if the QM2 option was off the table. A huge part of me knows she would be best in the hold of the plane, rather than in a very small crate under the seat...but she is my fur baby.

Good luck whatever you decide. Please let us know how you get on and don’t forget BE is a wonderful resource for British Expats.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 6:49 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I transported a 15 year old cat in the hold from Heathrow to Chicago on AA many years ago. There was no option to take the cat in the cabin on an international flight back then. I talked to my UK vet, who gave me a mild tranquilizer for the cat. The cat did just fine, came out at the other end curious but relaxed and lived to be almost 20 years old. Looking back I probably needed the tranquilizer more than the cat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.