Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US can damage waistline (article)

Moving to US can damage waistline (article)

Old Dec 16th 2004, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of
Default Moving to US can damage waistline (article)

From today's Daily Telegraph. I have posted the full text since the site requires a login:

Moving to US can damage waistline
By Catherine Elsworth in Los Angeles
(Filed: 16/12/2004)

<< ADMIN EDIT >>
copyright material removed.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to US can damage waistline (article)

Ah but you see that's what happens when you have friends who feed you so well and have a bar in their house . . .
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:19 pm
Tony M1

Tony Mullaney has a spectacular aura aboutTony Mullaney has a spectacular aura aboutTony Mullaney has a spectacular aura about

Brit Drinker

Well thanks for that !! I thought about getting the AC guy out or buying a thermometer, I just could not believe that it would have happened all at once................ That bloody walk in closet shrinks all my clothes !!!!!!!!

And not just mine it happens to lots of brits I have spoken to.......

[email protected]
Kestrel Int
Did you leave a pension in the UK ?

Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

From today's Telegraph you say?

This is yesterday's news (date on article is from Dec 2004)... Those who have emigrated to the US can attest that this is true.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 5:53 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Moving to US can damage waistline (article)

Well since the link has been deleted I haven't been able to read the article.

However, after moving here from SE Asia (small meal portions) and quickly eating US sized meals my husband absolutely piled on the weight. He was constantly snacking (would eat a tub of ice-cream and a large packet of potato crisps after eating a normal evening dinner) but not doing any excercise at all.

He hates shopping for clothes and would just order from places like the Gap online.....sadly making it very easy for him to order those extra-large sizes which even over here aren't always in stock in the shops.

I was alarmed at how fat my husband was getting.....he looked awful and was snoring at night (often caused by being overweight). Actually he became obese....and I told him that I honestly thought he would have a heart attack and I just didn't find him sexy anymore.....yet he knew that if he wanted to take out a life insurance policy in the US he would need to have a medical and he didn't want to do it.

A couple of years ago I flew off to India to meet our daughter who was backpacking on her Gap year. One month later my husband met me at JFK and I noticed immediately that he had lost weight. He said that the day I left, he joined a gym and was working with a personal trainer who had set some goals for him, but did I mind that I wouldn't be seeing him much as he wouldn't be home very much? (Never is/was anyway as he's always away on trips). Every night he would either go to the gym or go running instead in hail, rain or shine....and he still does. Incidentally, a few days before I went to India my husband's twin brother (whom has never had a weight problem) phoned to say that he had been diagnosed with cancer of the tongue (he too is a non-drinker and has never smoked). I think it was a wake-up call for my husband.

Six months later he had lost 85lbs in weight....hit a plateau for a while but eventually lost 100lbs in weight. He looks amazing and so healthy compared to what he had previously looked like. Some people have actually taken a double-take if they haven't seen him for a while as they didn't recognise him....either wondering if he had had his stomach stapled or if he had been seriously ill. He no longer snores....and his waist which had gone up to *46"* is now 34".

He still runs every night - and at the weekends often runs with the Hash House Harriers and quite a lot of expats run in the local group; they are all over the world and there are many groups in the USA - it was originally started by the British in colonial times in tropical Malaya (now Malaysia) and a bit like a 'paper chase' or 'hare and hounds' race...wading through streams and across fields on a cross country run...and afterwards they all drink a lot of beer! (well my husband doesn't 'cos he is teetotal, just doesn't like the taste of alchohol) He runs with this lot:

http://www.hashnj.com

This coming Saturday he is in the half-marathon in Staten Island (his fourth this year) and he won a place in the lottery to run in the New York Marathon in November.

I'm very proud of him - his determination is incredible. Also, the good news is that my husband's twin was treated really well by the NHS - he lives in Yateley, Surrey - and his cancer is in remission.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 6:37 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

I must say I am the total opposite I am a mad Cadbury choccy person and nothing comes close to it. so the weight just fell off me I gave up going out to restaurants as the food was becoming lousy and the service was unbelievable, so I stay home and enjoy home cooked dinners where I can monitor what is going in my food!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 6:54 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations to your hubby Englishmum. That's an amazing acheivement!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
From today's Daily Telegraph. I have posted the full text since the site requires a login:

Moving to US can damage waistline
By Catherine Elsworth in Los Angeles
(Filed: 16/12/2004)

<< ADMIN EDIT >>
copyright material removed.

moving to the US does not damage your waistline......eating huge amounts of food and no excersize damages your waistline

Last edited by psb182; Oct 10th 2005 at 8:27 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
moving to the US does not damage your waistline......eating huge amounts of food and no excersize damages your waistline
Exactly right, thats just what happens when you substitute your legs for four wheels!
Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:02 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dan725
Exactly right, thats just what happens when you substitute your legs for four wheels!

Its so easy to fall into that trap. You have to be strong willed - especially when its over 100 outside!
Old Oct 11th 2005, 3:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Its so easy to fall into that trap. You have to be strong willed - especially when its over 100 outside!
or -30....

but anyway, how come this thread got resurrected..it's almost a year old...
Old Oct 11th 2005, 3:40 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
or -30....

but anyway, how come this thread got resurrected..it's almost a year old...
Well, they were all playing this big game of Hide n' Seek see, and...
Old Oct 11th 2005, 4:02 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

or minus 20
Old Oct 11th 2005, 4:03 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I tend to go to the beach at that point.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 5:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I tend to go to the beach at that point.
that works....not quite the same doing that at -30 though *l*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.