Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to US - Boston vs Santa Monica

Moving to US - Boston vs Santa Monica

Old Jun 6th 2014, 7:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to US - Boston vs Santa Monica

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
My balls are going to freeze. I know it. Then sweat to buggery come the summer. Though currently it's been 'nice', not too much heat and a bit of rain to keep it cool.
Yes, the weather at the moment has been superb.

It'll be shit in a couple of weeks, till autumn...where it'll be to hot and humid to do anything or covered in mozzies.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Loads of people text or phone while driving, it is technically illegal though.

I'm struggling to think of anything that's like England. The King's Head in Santa Monica maybe
It's illegal to text in MA while driving too...doesn't stop people
Old Jun 6th 2014, 7:56 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's illegal to text in MA while driving too...doesn't stop people
The law is unenforceable. The cops:

1. Don't appear remotely interested in enforcing it and;
2. They are not allowed to seize your phone to inspect it to find out if you were 'texting'.

The law is incredibly bad. It only applies to the act of 'texting'. Dialling a number, or selecting a music track to play is equally as dangerous, yet not covered by this ridiculous law.

I notice the only traffic law cops are interested in enforcing is speeding, a law which I have given up paying any attention to outside of built up areas given I see State police going up and down the highways at 100mph regardless of whether they're on blue lights or not.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 7:59 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of people text or phone while driving, it is technically illegal though.

I'm struggling to think of anything that's like England. The King's Head in Santa Monica maybe
I wasn't thinking of the buildings so much..

The things which made California feel more like England than MA for me was:

1. The coastline reminded me of England (Sandbanks / West Dorset etc).
2. Similar laws. No use of a handheld device whilst driving (this was so refreshing!) and having to pay for plastic bags was another. Plus, notices everywhere about things which could be detrimental to your health. It was very England-esque in those respects.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

2. Similar laws. No use of a handheld device whilst driving (this was so refreshing!) and having to pay for plastic bags was another. Plus, notices everywhere about things which could be detrimental to your health. It was very England-esque in those respects.
Dorset?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Boston, Santa Monica - there are FAR worse places to live. I'm sure you'll be happy in both.

There are pro's and cons though and weather and ability to return home are going to be, I am sure, the primary ones.

Boston has seasons - all four of them - and having lived in England, thats both awesome and a bit of a pain in the arse in equal quantities. BUT, its also only a 6-7 hour flight from the UK, which is important for people visiting and for you visiting the UK.

Santa Monica, I cant comment on - however, I guess that an 11 hour flight is probably a consideration, and if you hate the cold, then its probably a nice place to be.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Oh, and for those that say that Boston is nothing like England, they might be advised to look around.

Grass, plants, trees and a signficant amount of the animals are all similar to the UK.

(although there are a shit load of other animals that arent)
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
... however, I guess that an 11 hour flight is probably a consideration
People keep saying this but I really don't buy it as an argument for living on the east coast. Provided that I can get a direct flight (and there are plenty of them from LAX, SFO etc) then a few extra hours in the air doesn't really matter to me.

Most of hassle of air travel is getting to and from the airports and making connections so, for me, it is far more important to be in fairly easy reach of a major international airport than how long the flight itself is.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 8:21 pm
Banned

Dorset?
Yep. Reminded me of Dorset a lot. Nothing in New England remotely reminds me of Dorset, or the south coast of England in general.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:04 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
People keep saying this but I really don't buy it as an argument for living on the east coast. Provided that I can get a direct flight (and there are plenty of them from LAX, SFO etc) then a few extra hours in the air doesn't really matter to me.

Most of hassle of air travel is getting to and from the airports and making connections so, for me, it is far more important to be in fairly easy reach of a major international airport than how long the flight itself is.
Can be an issue if you have elderly parents who want to visit. My Dad for instance, can't sit for that long following his hip replacement op, and doing a stopover/change isn't an option as he'd end up lost in the middle of an unknown country

Also, if one parent is planning on going back 1-2 a year, on their own with the kids, it can make a big difference.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:04 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez, if these are the things that remind you of England, that's incredibly sad.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Never been to Boston but I've been to Santa Monica many times. I love that place! As said though, I imagine it would cost an absolute fortune to live there.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Santa Monica is very expensive to live in but if you have the money, it's nice. I believe it has its own school district which is considered better than LA Unified. Usual LA caveats; superficial, hideous facelifts, druggy kids, awful freeways. The weather is great there though, cool shops, beaches.
Aside from being packed with cars, what is wrong with the freeways? They don't seem much different then any others in California really.

Not sure anything can be done about the congestion though, can only make the freeways so wide.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

and having to pay for plastic bags was another..
Is this state wide or just local ordinances in some city's?
Old Jun 6th 2014, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Is this state wide or just local ordinances in some city's?
The latter, although there are current attempts to make it state-wide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.