Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US!

Moving to the US!

Old May 29th 2010, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving to the US!

Originally Posted by SouthCoast77
Hello,

I have just checked my wife's passport its valid from 18/08/08 and expires on 18/11/10. I think she is on the FLR further leave to remain visa! It doesn't actually say on the passport.

Srefre, I think you are right it would make sense to stay a little longer if my wife could get dual citizenship.

Chris
Sorry to be a pain, but by passport you mean visa right?
Its the visa expiry that matters more than the passports expiry date, although an expired passport can cause problems too.

You should know if she has FLR, as you guys will have had to fill in a FLR form and she would most likely have had to attend a biometrics interview to get an ID card.

Either way the visa is still valid, so you have plenty of time to plan your next move. Whether you decide to hold out for citizenship or stick to your plan, you will have to extend the visa or apply for ILR though.
Old May 29th 2010, 11:31 am
Just Joined

SouthCoast77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Yes the visa is in the passport, she attended a biometrics interview in the States before she came. I've been looking on the UK border website and it says we should apply for ILR 28 days prior to the visa expiring and the cost is 840 pounds!! Is there a time period that my wife would have to stay in the UK to achieve full citizenship status?

I've been looking into my visa to return to the States as well, its a minefield ha ha. Well its good to start planning now as I don't want to be unprepared when the time comes.

Thanks

Chris
Old May 29th 2010, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

Yes the visa is in the passport, she attended a biometrics interview in the States before she came. I've been looking on the UK border website and it says we should apply for ILR 28 days prior to the visa expiring and the cost is 840 pounds!! Is there a time period that my wife would have to stay in the UK to achieve full citizenship status?

Chris
Yes, and it will be another £750ish for the citizenship, so get saving!

For full citizenship, as she is your wife she has to be a resident for 3 years, by this August she will have two (Assuming you haven't had extended trips abroad, normal vacations are fine.) Then next August she will have completed 3 years and can apply for citizenship.
Once she has done this, she will have full citizenship, she could leave straight after, as it will not expire without her choosing to give it up.
Old May 29th 2010, 4:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking into my visa to return to the States as well, its a minefield ha ha. Well its good to start planning now as I don't want to be unprepared when the time comes.
Not too much of a minefield.
The link in my siggy goes to the local filing option for an Immigrant Visa.
Old May 30th 2010, 12:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srefre
For full citizenship...
Is there another kind?

Ian
Old May 30th 2010, 12:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Is there another kind?

Ian
Didn't we already do that conversation?
(like that's ever stopped anyone...)
Old May 30th 2010, 12:41 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Didn't we already do that conversation?
We did... but this is a new guy, and we must diligently indoctrinate the masses! Indeed, diligently and relentlessly!

Ian
Old May 30th 2010, 12:51 am

We did... but this is a new guy, and we must diligently indoctrinate the masses! Indeed, diligently and relentlessly!

Ian
I know, but that one is boring and so.. well, like 'why do Canadians say 'eh'?', eh?
Old May 30th 2010, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Is there another kind?

Ian
Yes, BOC (British Overseas Citizen) or BNO (British Nationals Overseas), hence why the term full British citizenship is used.

Last edited by srefre; May 30th 2010 at 7:14 am.
Old May 30th 2010, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by srefre
Yes, BOC (British Overseas Citizen) or BNO (British Nationals Overseas), hence why the term full British citizenship is used.
With respect, neither a BOC nor a BNO is a UK citizen... and, eventually, the BOC category will die off. The term "full British citizenship" is misleading at best, and a misnomer at worst. Someone is either a UKC or they aren't.

Ian
Old May 30th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

With respect, neither a BOC nor a BNO is a UK citizen... and, eventually, the BOC category will die off. The term "full British citizenship" is misleading at best, and a misnomer at worst. Someone is either a UKC or they aren't.

Ian
Perhaps it is a misnomer and misleading, but it is a term used by a few British embassies around the world.

Whilst on this topic though, what's a UK citizen? I have only ever heard of British citizenship, not UK citizenship.
Old May 30th 2010, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

BTW, take my above post with a lot of tongue in cheek. I agree its a bit of a silly term, but I enjoy being pedantic sometimes!
Old May 30th 2010, 4:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
My UK PP states...Nationality...British.
Old May 30th 2010, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My UK PP states...Nationality...British.
My UK PP states - Nationality: British Citizen. A UKC is always a British national. A British national is not always a UKC.

Ian