Reload this Page >

Moving to the US

Moving to the US

Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

KHAMOSHYA is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving to the US

Hi guys

I planning to move to the US by the end of this year.
I have been asked by my friend to be his bestman however the wedding is in Syria!

Would this cause a problem for me on arrival to the US?

I am US greencard holder.

Thanks in advance,
Khamoshya!!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US

Originally Posted by KHAMOSHYA
Hi guys

I planning to move to the US by the end of this year.
I have been asked by my friend to be his bestman however the wedding is in Syria!

Would this cause a problem for me on arrival to the US?

I am US greencard holder.

Thanks in advance,
Khamoshya!!
You currently are a US greencard holder, but you haven't yet moved to the USA?

Is the trip to Syria before you intend to move to the USA, or after?

What country are YOU a citizen of? What country's passport do you hold?

In general, I can't see why it would be a problem. You just need to get a visa to go to Syria, if you need one.

Rene
Old Sep 1st 2007, 12:47 pm
Enigma Boy

What do you mean by you are moving to US and you already have a green card.
Do you meet your greencards minimum residency requirements or not.

As long as you meet those there should be no problem returning to the US.
Of course after visiting Syria you should be looking forward to the
excellent treatment you will receive by DHS.

--
<a href="http://pakistan-gifts.com">Send Gifts to Pakistan</a> | <a
href="http://1pakistangifts.com">#1 Pakistan Gifts Store to send gifts to
Pakistan</a> | <a href="http://pakistangiftsemporium.com">Send Cakes,
Flowers and Other Gifts to Pakistan</a>
"KHAMOSHYA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
>
> Hi guys
>
> I planning to move to the US by the end of this year.
> I have been asked by my friend to be his bestman however the wedding
> is in Syria!
>
> Would this cause a problem for me on arrival to the US?
>
> I am US greencard holder.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Khamoshya!!
>
> --

>

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:48 am
Just Joined

hi guys
Many thanks for your prompt responses!

Yes, I have a geencard with a british passport but i have not yet moved to the US.
I am planning to move later this year! However, prior to that i am due to go to Syria for my friend's wedding! Since the US-Syria relations aren't too friendly i was just wondering if that is going to cause me problems when i enter the US with a Syrian visa in my passport! If that is the case then i would rather not go to Syria and hope my friend would understand :s ...

Khamoshya!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have a geencard with a british passport but i have not yet moved to the US.
How odd. In my 10 years experience with immigration, I was under the impression that you actually had to move to the US *before* you were able to get a green card. I'd be interesting in knowing how you pulled this off.

If that is the case then i would rather not go to Syria and hope my friend would understand
If your friend doesn't understand, he's not much of a friend!

Ian
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

lol.
I moved to the US then came back to the UK for a while to finsih my studies and now i moving back !

Thanks.
Khamoshya
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to the US then came back to the UK for a while to finsih my studies and now i moving back !
Well then... that explains it. How long have you been outside of the US? If it's been more than a year, did you get a re-entry permit? Have you maintained ties to the US? These are important questions, because when you arrive back in the US, the officer might think that you have abandoned your permanent resident status in the US... and that'd be a major headache for you.

Ian
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:53 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

lol.

Thanks.
Khamoshya
Most likely this means that you don't have a valid Green Card anymore. It doesn't matter when the GC expiry date is - if you've not been maintaining residency in the US then you're no longer a Permanent Resident, and your Green Card is effectively void.

I hope this isn't the case. As someone who's had a Green Card twice in their life, I can tell you that you may find it one hell of a lot more difficult to get a new GC than it is to allow your original GC to lapse due to failure to maintain residency.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 11:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you indeed are still a US PR and your green card is still valid, a trip to Syria should not affect your ability to return to the USA.

As others have pointed out, it's whether you've maintained your US PR status during the time you've been outside the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:39 am
Just Joined

I have always maintained ties with the US and iam never outside the US for more than a year as i regularly go back!

Thank you so much for your responses!
Khamoshya!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:32 pm

I have always maintained ties with the US and iam never outside the US for more than a year as i regularly go back!

Khamoshya!
Well...just from this sentence, I would assume you aren't living in the USA, that you're actually living outside the USA most of the time!

Rene
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:37 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Khamoshya!
"Maintaining ties" is not being a permanent resident. "Regularly going back" is not being a permanent resident.

Believe me, I've been through all this before. To hold a valid Green Card you actually have to live in America (amazing as it may sound!).

You've managed to get away with it so far, although I imagine you've had frequent secondary-inspection visits. For your sake, I hope you manage to actually BECOME a permanent resident before USCIS decide that you're not one, and take your GC away.