Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US :)

Moving to the US :)

Old Jan 24th 2007, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

andystephens is a jewel in the roughandystephens is a jewel in the roughandystephens is a jewel in the roughandystephens is a jewel in the roughandystephens is a jewel in the rough
Default Moving to the US :)

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this. Well, I am looking to move to the US, specifically Idaho. I am after the quieter life of lakes, mountains and forests and the snow for the winter, so I think northern Idaho is the best place I have seen unless anyone has any other ideas.

I would like to work in mortgages over there, is there much demand for it? Also, my fiance will also be going, so what is the best way for us to get into the US.

Any help will be appreciated.

Andy
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:08 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US :)

Have you read the Posting Guidelines + FAQ-Ways to Immigrate/Finance/Credit at the top of this forum? You really should be posting in the immigration forums, but reading the Ways to Immigrate should give you a start.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Read this article and let us know what visa you would be able to get ...

http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andystephens
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this. Well, I am looking to move to the US, specifically Idaho. I am after the quieter life of lakes, mountains and forests and the snow for the winter, so I think northern Idaho is the best place I have seen unless anyone has any other ideas.

I would like to work in mortgages over there, is there much demand for it? Also, my fiance will also be going, so what is the best way for us to get into the US.

Andy
I thought you were going to Oz? That would be a far easier option I think.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

andystephens is a jewel in the roughandystephens is a jewel in the roughandystephens is a jewel in the roughandystephens is a jewel in the roughandystephens is a jewel in the rough

Well, we were thinking about it, but have decided to go US. If it does turn out to be impossible, then OZ maybe.

What do people think about Idaho? And an H1 visa is what I would be looking for
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And an H1 visa is what I would be looking for
No chance .............
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Is it really that hard to get into US? If so, how come?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:02 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

It really is that hard to live and work here legally.

A lot of people on this forum got here through fiancee or marriage visa - if your girlfriend is not american then theat route is aboviously out...

Getting a commission-only job selling mortgages is very easy - making decent money is not to start with

Obviously this field is not appropriate for a H1 visa - any muppet (and most are) can do it.

I personally got here on an L1 visa - intracompany transfer - very fortunate

Alternatives are a student visa where you can;t work or a nurse work visa or if you can come here with a wedge of cash to invest in a business.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

they give out around 3* H1 Visa's twice a year but that number is going down. Each year applications start 6months in advance and normally they have their quota after around 2/3 weeks.

Getting the application in is about 2% of the problem, getting someone to sponsor you, actually being ABLE to get the visa, paying for it all etc... thats the other 98%.

read the visa section... we all did it once.

* 65k at the mo.. but still damned low
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Well I dont have a lot of money to spare to invest

so maybe OZ is looking like the better option....
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What do people think about Idaho? And an H1 visa is what I would be looking for
depends on if you find a sponsor willing and if you have the skills/degree for it...not easy as it ain't cheap so you'll need special skills...and an employer couldn't apply till April for an Oct start, unless it's with a uni that isn't under the quota...
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:10 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Andy
I refer you to:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+booth+mexican

post # 12
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

yep its not easy,
ive been here 3 months hubby has a H1b and me n kids have H4( boy what a crap visa I have),

This whole process took 2 years and a stack of money.
I have a friend going to Oz and her visa is going to be much more accomidating than ours.

Good luck either way
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loopylorns
yep its not easy,
ive been here 3 months hubby has a H1b and me n kids have H4( boy what a crap visa I have)........
Tell me about it!

Is your DH's employer sponsoring him for PR? If so, what category - EB1, 2 or 3?

There's a lady here (LadyoftheLake) who has been here 5 years and still has no SSN or EAD. It really sucks.

I hope you have better luck!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:15 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.