Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US

Moving to the US

Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:27 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US

Welcome. I am sure most all of your questions have been addressed in this forum, or if not in the US Marriage forum. You seem to want to know how to do everything all at once. Don't be in such a hurry- depending on where you file for the K-1 you will have plenty of time to read up on the varous issues involved (and many you probably have not even thought of yet). Slow down, take a deep breath and start perusing the different forums here at BE....
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:29 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you i'd keep the UKbank accounts and credit cards open. If your bank hasn't got online access, then I'd open a decent online account (we use first direct) BEFORE you leave, as you may have problems opening one once you're non-resident.

Tell the Inland revenue you're going (can't remember the form you need to return, but it'll be on their website) and then file for getting your savings interest paid gross (if you are earning any - I wasn't when I just graduated )

If you have shares held as paper, transfer them into either an online custodian account, or get the address transferred to a trusted UK address, some companies won't let you stay in their DRIPs if you have an overseas address (this is probably not strictly legit...worth checking with a professional) And if you hold any unit trusts, check out their rules for overseas residents....

Oh yes, and try to find a financial advisor/lawyer that can advise on the tax/legal impacts of wills, trusts etc on both sides of the pond. And if you find one, let us know please cos we can't!!

Shipping - like someone said, depends on how much you have to move.

Feed the cat, cancel the milk, and tell your mum where you're going!
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:31 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alicia_ta
But will I need to close my bank accounts? Who do I need to tell I'm leaving? What would be a reasonable amount of money to bring with me to tide me over whilst I'm looking for work?
NEVER close your UK bank accounts. And don't give in to any demands that you switch to an offshore account.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

But cancel the milk .... and tell nobody ...
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
If I were you i'd keep the UKbank accounts and credit cards open. If your bank hasn't got online access, then I'd open a decent online account (we use first direct) BEFORE you leave, as you may have problems opening one once you're non-resident.

Tell the Inland revenue you're going (can't remember the form you need to return, but it'll be on their website) and then file for getting your savings interest paid gross (if you are earning any - I wasn't when I just graduated )

If you have shares held as paper, transfer them into either an online custodian account, or get the address transferred to a trusted UK address, some companies won't let you stay in their DRIPs if you have an overseas address (this is probably not strictly legit...worth checking with a professional) And if you hold any unit trusts, check out their rules for overseas residents....

Oh yes, and try to find a financial advisor/lawyer that can advise on the tax/legal impacts of wills, trusts etc on both sides of the pond. And if you find one, let us know please cos we can't!!

Shipping - like someone said, depends on how much you have to move.

Feed the cat, cancel the milk, and tell your mum where you're going!

I'm sure you are correct about the shares but we have never had a problem and all correspondence is mailed to the US.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
NEVER close your UK bank accounts. And don't give in to any demands that you switch to an offshore account.
Agreed...just give them your new address in the US and they will mail correspondence here.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm sure you are correct about the shares but we have never had a problem and all correspondence is mailed to the US.
You wait until you try to sell them ...
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ray
You wait until you try to sell them ...

We are not planning to sell...but never say never.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

elaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Alicia_ta]My boyfriend lives in New York and I go over with great regularity, I'm fortunate in so much as many members of my immediate family live within the city.

Hey no wonder you are moving, im in manhattan and love it....dunno whether i would have come here tho if some of my immediate family were here too hahahahahahaa..good luck !
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:11 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yeah, some of them are OK, but Marks and Spencer and someone else (can't remember which - maybe Abbey National/Santander?) just wrote to me and told me that they'd cancelled my DRIP as under the terms of the scheme it wasn't available to non-residents. Others such as Shell, BP etc didn't cause a problem.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Yeah, some of them are OK, but Marks and Spencer and someone else (can't remember which - maybe Abbey National/Santander?) just wrote to me and told me that they'd cancelled my DRIP as under the terms of the scheme it wasn't available to non-residents. Others such as Shell, BP etc didn't cause a problem.
Don't have any from those companies....the Halifax t & c's state the same and they send mail to our US address and have done for 10 yrs. Just luck I suppose.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Moving to the US

Originally Posted by Ray
I will think about it the day before it arrives ....
Watched the news last night, the storm is unlikely to hit Florida, and should fall apart around Cuba.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alicia_ta
What processes do I need to follow in order to organise this move.

How can I ship my stuff to the USA?

Is it best to move everything at once or on a rolling basis?

When in the USA how do I organise stuff such as social security number etc?

Will my degree be recognised in the USA?

Any general advice would be great.
Hi Alicia,

Gonna pretty much repeat what they said, but here's my experience in moving to NY

a) Shipping stuff > I was looking into getting a shipping company but they cost WAYYYYY too much imo. I would sell all the big goods and take as much of the other stuff in the next few trips you have. Or gets friends/family to take it over if they come for the wedding

b) SSN etc will be all part of your visa process. We got all the help we needed off http://www.visajourney.com/

c)Y es your degree will be recognised (at least mine is in NY for what i've applied for so far) shouldn't have a problem there.

d) student loan. Call them up, tell them that you are going and then they ask you to send evidence and then they will will write to you again in a year. Like they all said, keep your UK account open and you can send money back when you start paying it again. www.xe.com is good for sending money back and forth.

Best of luck! and and bring some suntan lotion it's dam hot in NY at the mo
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:11 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Why must we never close our UK bank accounts?
Old Aug 1st 2006, 4:13 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by andie&jase
Why must we never close our UK bank accounts?
Because it can be so useful for so many things ...just switch the address to a friend or relative

Last edited by Ray; Aug 1st 2006 at 4:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.