Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to the US

Moving to the US

Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Alicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really nice
Default Moving to the US

Hi everyone

I need a bit of advice regarding a move to the USA, my boyfriend a US citizen has proposed and it's easier for us to live in the US rather than the UK as he already has established his career.

I'm currently finishing a bachelors degree in sociology and hope to pursue my graduate degree whilst in the USA. So all I'm really worrying about is all of the looses ends I will have to tie up in the UK such as tax, paying back my student loan, shipping my posessions etc. If anyone has any advice I would be extremely grateful, I'm more or less clued up in terms of my fiance visa I just need help with the logistics of such a large move.

Alicia
Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to the US

Originally Posted by Alicia_ta
Hi everyone
I need a bit of advice regarding a move to the USA, my boyfriend a US citizen has proposed and it's easier for us to live in the US rather than the UK as he already has established his career.
And your questions are ????
Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

I'm currently finishing a bachelors degree in sociology and hope to pursue my graduate degree whilst in the USA. So all I'm really worrying about is all of the looses ends I will have to tie up in the UK such as tax, paying back my student loan, shipping my posessions etc. If anyone has any advice I would be extremely grateful, I'm more or less clued up in terms of my fiance visa I just need help with the logistics of such a large move.

Alicia
hiya alice and welcome to b. expats.....
Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Alicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really niceAlicia_ta is just really nice

What processes do I need to follow in order to organise this move.

How can I ship my stuff to the USA?

Is it best to move everything at once or on a rolling basis?

When in the USA how do I organise stuff such as social security number etc?

Will my degree be recognised in the USA?

Any general advice would be great.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
And your questions are ????
morning ray...are you hunkered down coz seems like chris is on his way
Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

alicia, when do you propose to pay back your student loan?
Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Read this first:

http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/

Once you know the route you plan to take to get to the US, that'll fill up your time.

As for becoming a grad student, I wouldn't rush into that if I were you. You want to be paying as a (state) resident and not as a non-resident. You can do the search yourself on that for more information.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

elaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond repute

Any general advice would be great.[/QUOTE]

For the degree make sure you have all your transcripts and even the module discriptions of each course...i got a first class primary ed BA which they are quering as supposedly i havent covered everything !! So they have asked for module discriptions which are a nightmare to get from the states.
I havent paid my loan back yet as im 'travelling for a year' !
Good luck
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:06 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

Welcome, my first piece of advice is to use the search button. All your questions ......... visa, shipping to the USA, SSN etc have all been answered numerous times.

Once you are done searching, come back and ask more specific questions. Hint: take a look in the US Marriage Based Visa's Board........... Good luck
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
morning ray...are you hunkered down coz seems like chris is on his way
I will think about it the day before it arrives ....
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

I've spoken to the Student Loans Company and I plan to part paying back my student loan as soon as I start working, even if it's only just a small amount every week I want to clear it as quickly as possible.

In terms of doing my grad degree I'd prefer to work for a while first perhaps two years before going to study in order to become accustomed to the way of life.

I'm just unsure as to what I need to do here in the UK before I leave, I've practically paid off my credit card and overdraft debt so I don't have that to worry about. But will I need to close my bank accounts? Who do I need to tell I'm leaving? What would be a reasonable amount of money to bring with me to tide me over whilst I'm looking for work?
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:11 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

How can I ship my stuff to the USA?

Is it best to move everything at once or on a rolling basis?

Any general advice would be great.
Hi Alicia,
Here are some answers to your questions.

1) You won't have to pay tax in the uk if you are resident in the usa, unless you leave behind a house or some sort of UK taxable income (large bank balances, if you rent your house out, etc).

2) Keep a UK bank account open and pay student loans co from it. They are happy for you to go abroad. There is a link on their website telling you what to do.

3) Keep in mind US uses different plugs and current from UK so it's not worthwhile to ship electrical goods. Someone else will have to recomend shipping arrangements as we came over with just suitcases.

4) Your SSN will be assigned to you as part of the Fiance Visa process. You should have a form to fill in to get one. They will mail it to your US address once you enter the country.

5) Most batchelor degrees are recognized. If in doubt, there are some services available to "translate" uk qualifications to US qualifications but these are geared more towards NVQ's etc.

What part of the US are you moving to?
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:12 pm
Ray

How can I ship my stuff to the USA?.
Tesco's bags
Is it best to move everything at once or on a rolling basis?.
Depend how must "stuff" you have
I presume you are you coming on a K-1 ..fill in a SS5 form and go get it..
Some employers may want an evaluation ..but no great problem

Use the US marriage section on this forum or
www.visajourney.com is very good
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever been to where your Boy Friend lives or comes from? if not then please try to visit first for longer than just a few week's, dont rush in to marriage. Welcome to BE

Last edited by britvic; Aug 1st 2006 at 1:21 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

My boyfriend lives in New York and I go over with great regularity, I'm fortunate in so much as many members of my immediate family live within the city.

It may seem like I'm worrying over things that may seem unimportant such as shipping social security etc, but I just like to have everything organised within my head before embarking on such a large move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.