British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Moving to Us (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/moving-us-343673/)

rob wells1 Dec 20th 2005 6:16 am

Moving to Us

How easy is it to move to the US? There will be me, my wife and my little dog?

Silverdragon102 Dec 20th 2005 6:39 am

Re: Moving to Us

Originally Posted by rob wells1

read this link see what category you will be coming over on http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/

It will be hard

would suggest a search as this gets asked over and over again :)

DaveC Dec 20th 2005 11:36 am

What Silverdragon said. Without any more info about you and your wife, I would have to say it would be a lot easier for your dog to get here than you and the missus.

Sorry to read about the road rage. Y'all should come to Texas, there's virtually no road rage here. Everybody carries guns in their car.......or do they? You just don't know, so you can't afford to flip someone off at random! ;) Not that there isn't the temptation, believe you me, there are some pretty crappy drivers here. Especially at the holidays, all those shoppers in parking lots, fighting over spaces, parking in fire lanes. Not that I shop at retailers who say happy "holidays". If they forget the reason for the season then I'm spending my hard earned dollars elsewhere. Let's keep Christ in Christmas. America, love it or leave. You wonder how some people even get a licence. I mean, the test is so easy. Drive around for 10 minutes, take an easy multiple choice test. If you fail, come back tomorrow and try again. If you fail that, come back the next day. I should know, I failed the first time. But that was my wife's fault. Oh, and I was speeding a bit. Just a little bit. It's like a woman saying she's a little bit pregnant, I know. But I think the real reason was cause I was driving my mother in law's car which stank of cigarette smoke and the examiner didn't like that. Talk about failing the test before she'd even put her seat belt on. In hindsight, maybe I should have put mine on too. And if some drivers are that crappy, they have more accidents, so their insurance premiums go up. You wonder how some of them afford the insurance, you really do.

But enough of the Ronnie Corbetting. Good luck to you and the wife. I'm off now to read the Daily Mail on line.

Merry Christmas!

dbj1000 Dec 20th 2005 12:16 pm

I'm sorry to read of your road rage experiences. That would probably make me think twice about wanting to live somewhere. Here in Texas they shoot each other in road rage incidents.

As others have pointed out (and more will, I'm sure) your chances of moving to the US are slim-to-none. The Pulaski's Ways to Immigrate thread lists your options, but since you're already married it's highly unlikely that you'll meet any of the other requirements to get a time-limited work visa, let alone emigrate "forever".

[p.s. I must be in a ******' good mood today, given how I normally answer this particular question when the person asking hasn't even searched these boards...]

[p.p.s. Although I know I'd be feeling just like you are after a nasty attack like you experienced, remember that these things happen anywhere you go in the world. Moving to the US, NZ, Oz or anywhere else won't prevent the risk of it happening again, and in many places in the US or Oz right now you're even more at risk of violence.]

CarlM Dec 20th 2005 12:51 pm

The dog shouldnt have a problem..

TruBrit Dec 20th 2005 1:08 pm

Hey Rob, just edited my first post when I saw you are living in the UK...hey you should be so lucky, this place they carry guns and you rarely walk away from an incident...think long and hard before moving....good things about living in the UK..you and your misses enjoy Christmas and try and forget about the road rage, take care :)

Celsius Dec 20th 2005 1:27 pm

Is your dog named Toto by any chance? :)

Ray Dec 20th 2005 1:31 pm

What an exaggerated load of nonsense..... I kmow at least 2 people in Florida that have never had a gun... and I rarely carry more than two..

dunroving Dec 20th 2005 1:32 pm

Can someone tell me what the road rage comment is about? I don't see anything about road rage in the OP.

As for the request for help, ditto - there is a STACK of information in previous threads on the subject of "how can I come to the US?" In short, it's very hard, in fact close to impossible for many people. Too many programs on TV in the UK right now make it look like you just jump on a plane and go.

Even if someone does have the requisite "qualifications" (US wife, job skills, etc.), you also need a lot of drive, determination, and patience just to survive the process.

Elvira Dec 20th 2005 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
Can someone tell me what the road rage comment is about? I don't see anything about road rage in the OP.

Check his other posts :D

He is one of those 'the UK is a shit-hole - get me out of here - anywhere will do, even NZ' kind of guys.

Clearly doesn't have a clue about the US. Somebody tell him about the gun culture and explain about the likelihood of getting sued after an accident... ;)

Ray Dec 20th 2005 1:36 pm

As for the request for help, ditto - there is a STACK of information in previous threads on the subject of "how can I come to the US?" In short, it's very hard, in fact close to impossible for many people. Too many programs on TV in the UK right now make it look like you just jump on a plane and go.

Even if someone does have the requisite "qualifications" (US wife, job skills, etc.), you also need a lot of drive, determination, and patience just to survive the process.

Look at the OP previous posts .. he was involved in an incident ..

ladyofthelake Dec 20th 2005 1:43 pm

The OP has posted in other forums that they encountered a road rage. Hence they are looking also at OZ and New Zealand, or which ever they can get to first. IMHO it seems like a big knee jerk reaction to an incident which no doubt was very scary, but should not be the only reason for moving abroad.
You need to think long and hard about where you want to live and why you want to live there. By all means move to any of those countries because you want the experience or adventure, but not to get away from a bad experience.

Triumphrob Dec 20th 2005 2:12 pm

Why? Its not what it was. I would love to be back in the UK with all its problems.

dunroving Dec 20th 2005 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
Check his other posts :D

He is one of those 'the UK is a shit-hole - get me out of here - anywhere will do, even NZ' kind of guys.

Clearly doesn't have a clue about the US. Somebody tell him about the gun culture and explain about the likelihood of getting sued after an accident... ;)

OK, thanks.

Of course, road rage is unheard of in the US ..... :D

britvic Dec 20th 2005 3:26 pm

OK, thanks.

Of course, road rage is unheard of in the US ..... :D

I just let it go now days driveing over here, always in the back of my mind that the nutter who just pissed me off might have a GUN :scared: