Reload this Page >

moving to the us

moving to the us

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

ashes is an unknown quantity at this point
Question moving to the us

hi all,

first post on this site,and i would like to ask for some advice.
I'm due to retire in ten years time, and wish to move to florida, I'm married to a us citizen and have been for 20 years.
I recently bought some land near tampa and want to build a house on it. can I apply for dual nationality, or a certain visa now to ensure a smooth move later ?
many thanks ashes.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

IanandHolly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: moving to the us

Originally Posted by ashes
hi all,

I'm due to retire in ten years time, and wish to move to florida, I'm married to a us citizen and have been for 20 years.
I recently bought some land near tampa and want to build a house on it. can I apply for dual nationality, or a certain visa now to ensure a smooth move later ?
many thanks ashes.
If your spouse is a permanent resident of your country, your best bet would be to file an I-130 and apply for a spousal immigrant visa through the US Consulate in the country where you live. This is commonly referred to as a DCF.

If you search this site for DCF you will find a great deal of information regardin the topic also This is a good place to start.

Holly
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 6:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stick ya in the visa forum, get more advice
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: moving to the us

Originally Posted by Bob
I'll stick ya in the visa forum, get more advice
Thanks Bob
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

hi all,

many thanks ashes.
Are you saying that you wish to move to the US in 10 years? Or, that you are moving to Florida and will retire 10 years after you move? Big difference.

Yes, if you are married to a US citizen and have been a permanent resident of the US for 3 years then you can apply for US citizenship.

Sounds like you've got a few years of work ahead of you though before you are even eligible for US citizenship.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Are you saying that you wish to move to the US in 10 years? Or, that you are moving to Florida and will retire 10 years after you move? Big difference.

Yes, if you are married to a US citizen and have been a permanent resident of the US for 3 years then you can apply for US citizenship.

Sounds like you've got a few years of work ahead of you though before you are even eligible for US citizenship.

I currently live and work in the uk, just planning ahead, look how long it took John Lennon to achive his goal!
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

I currently live and work in the uk, just planning ahead, look how long it took John Lennon to achive his goal!
Right, but no point in starting anything if you don't plan on moving for 10 years.

I guess the relevant question is whether you have a marijuana conviction...

Good luck.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 9:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
I guess the relevant question is whether you have a marijuana conviction...
Or an FBI file. Wasn't that John Lennon's problem?