Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to Upland/Chino Hills/Claremont area

Moving to Upland/Chino Hills/Claremont area

Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Hurley1 will become famous soon enoughHurley1 will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to Upland/Chino Hills/Claremont area

Hi, my husband and I have seen a business in this area we are looking to purchase on an E2 visa. It fits all the requirements with several full time staff and a good net profit however we would like to learn more about the area first.

Does anyone live near Upland, Claremont or Chino Hills? from what we have seen so far we like it. We are from Britain but have owned a holiday home in a different part of the US for several years.

Are these nice safe areas? Where is best to live? Is there alot of smog? How regular are earthquakes in this area? Is there anything we should know good or bad about this part of CA? I'd rather be near the beach at Newport but hey the biz is inland so this is where we need to be!

If anyone can help that would be great. Many thanks x

Ps if you are a Brit in this area would be great to connect!
Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Upland/Chino Hills/Claremont area

Chino Hills is quite a nice, affluent part of Los Angeles County..just Google, there's plenty info.
Earthquakes, just a little tickle now and again.

However if you don't need to be living near the business you could live instead in Orange County and be within minutes of the beaches but also less than one hour from the business depending on traffic.
Laguna Hills, Lake Forest etc..

I used to live in Dana Point which is gorgeous and while I don't live there at the moment I intend moving back there for a couple of years before coming back to Scotland.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:45 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You are aware of the limitations of the E2 visa I presume? It's nickname is 'the visa from hell' for 2 main reasons:

1) Renewels are very difficult to get, and if you are refused you must immediately return to the UK with no time to even appoint someone to run your business.

2) There is no route (none) to a green card - so the problem mentioned above is an everpresent threat.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 12:54 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

2) There is no route (none) to a green card - so the problem mentioned above is an everpresent threat.
Interesting. When I was in practice, we did have E-2's get green cards. Each case is fact dependent.

Yes, there are limitations, but it is hardly the "visa from Hell."
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:02 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurley1
Hi, my husband and I have seen a business in this area we are looking to purchase on an E2 visa. It fits all the requirements with several full time staff and a good net profit however we would like to learn more about the area first.

Does anyone live near Upland, Claremont or Chino Hills? from what we have seen so far we like it. We are from Britain but have owned a holiday home in a different part of the US for several years.

Are these nice safe areas? Where is best to live? Is there alot of smog? How regular are earthquakes in this area? Is there anything we should know good or bad about this part of CA? I'd rather be near the beach at Newport but hey the biz is inland so this is where we need to be!

If anyone can help that would be great. Many thanks x

Ps if you are a Brit in this area would be great to connect!
It is a fairly nice area. It does get hot in the summer. As for smog, a friend and I were discussing the other day how the L.A. Basin is the "demonstration case" for how change in regulations on behavior CAN effect climate -- I can say that is much less smoggy that it was 30 years ago -- the pervasive pollution abatement programs have worked IMHO.

As for earthquakes -- they are not an everyday occurrence by any means. However, the "big one" will happen and we just don't know when. Every quake has advanced the art of seismic considerations in construction. [One upshot is that there are almost no old hospitals in the LA area and what few remain will be replaced]. [BTW, I remember seeing a TV news item after the 1971 Sylmar temblor where an English immigrant lost his house -- he had bought an unreinforced stone house "like the ones we had at home" rather than the cheap "stick" houses. Sorry fellow, those stick and stucco house ride out quakes very well especially if bolted to the foundation].

I would suggest being careful on considerations of flood and fire.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Wow, thanks so much for all the replies, really helpful and can't believe how quickly you all responded. This is all good info which we will digest and use. It's a big decision for us so I really appreciate the input )
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Chino Hills is quite a nice, affluent part of Los Angeles County..just Google, there's plenty info.
Earthquakes, just a little tickle now and again.

However if you don't need to be living near the business you could live instead in Orange County and be within minutes of the beaches but also less than one hour from the business depending on traffic.
Laguna Hills, Lake Forest etc..

I used to live in Dana Point which is gorgeous and while I don't live there at the moment I intend moving back there for a couple of years before coming back to Scotland.
"Depending on traffic" being the pertinent comment. Check out the traffic on a few weekdays during the normal commute on Google maps before making any judgements on what you think you coud live with commute wise!
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Chino Hills, it's in San Bernardino county. We have been here almost a year. We like it a lot. The general area is nice as well. If you have kids, the schools seem to have a good reputation. Since we have been here, there have been 2 small earthquakes, no more than window rattlers really. If you need anymore info, PM me.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the additional posts on this thread. Need to make my mind up soon and stop dithering so all really useful info. My husband is really keen to move but I am worried about the usual issues when emigrating such as missing friends and family. Plus have concerns over high costs for medical insurance and car insurance. Only us so no kids to worry about, just one cat! Anyway it all sounds good for the area so just need to weigh up the pros and cons, we hate the UK weather and love the beautiful lifestyle and weather you have in South California, mind you we will be working far too hard with the new biz to start with so playtime will have to wait! Thanks again, hope you all have a lovely day. It's lovely here in South Florida at the moment x
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sick of the non-weather in SoCal.
Very much looking forward to coming home to Scotland after 15 years

It's a good lifestyle though, if you make enough money.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi HotScot,

Interesting, you have been there a long time. Whereabouts in Scotland are you from? We are down in the SW of England but love visiting Scotland so totally understand you wanting to go back, such lovely scenery and amazing cities. Love Edinburgh and couldn't believe the huge transformation in Glasgow when we went last year. Can you tell me what you like and don't like about CA? Would be really interesting to learn the pros and cons from someone in the know like you! Thanks.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Hurley
I absolutely loved living in Scotland, and the UK. I'm from Airdrie, halfway between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Many of the things that brought me to California initially are the same things that will attract others. Namely the weather, the ability to explore other States easily, the possibility of higher income.

I miss the UK for the changing of the seasons, being able to stop anywhere and go hiking, rain and wind and the cosy pub at night. A slower pace of life, friendly people, gentle countryside, sense of self deprecating humour. The music scene in the UK, going to numerous gigs throughout the year. Being able to nip over to Europe on Sleazyjet. UK tv programmes and food.

Don't get me wrong...the USA has been good to me, made a ton of money, traveled all over the country, have a very successful business etc.
Ultimately for me the incessant heat and sunshine in SoCal has worn me down. The homogeneity, you drive on the freeways, which are often crowded and you just see the same shopping centers every five miles. The focus on spending money.
The Ca Govt drives me nuts. Shootings almost every day. Bad drivers. Illegals. The infrastructure falling apart. The difficult business environment and high taxes.

It's a decent place for those who have money and access to the Coast but in my observation the place is falling apart rather than improving.
Life is different here but to me there's not anything particular that's better than back home.

I have enjoyed it for a time but I've had enough and I'm pretty homesick. The next phase is to go home. buy a place in the Lake District or Perthshire, and spend years visiting Europe with my wife.

Feel free if you want to PM me...all my own opinion of course

Last edited by Hotscot; Feb 4th 2014 at 6:47 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks HotScot, I will PM you later.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:37 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by hotscot
I'm sick of the non-weather in SoCal.
Yes, only two seasons. And one of them was cancelled this year.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Yes, only two seasons.
Hot and On Fire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.