Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from the United Kingdom to the United States

Moving from the United Kingdom to the United States

Old Aug 28th 2016, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

slices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond reputeslices has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the United Kingdom to the United States

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, it's a odd place. The things it does well, it does very, very well but the other things and more general studies, not so much.

Great place for mixing up design, computer science and engineering subjects but it's hard work. Stuff we were doing by the end of the first semester was much more impressive than final year students were showing at Bournemouth for instance.
As someone who did both maths and computer science at Brunel, I will say I found the maths far more challenging than the computer science of course things may have changed the past 15 years. Although I've used probably used very little of the maths side of my degree. I suspect it hasn't hurt when applying for jobs in the finance sector.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 6:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
...(there is a reason most video games are made in the UK...
Not any more it isn't. Has been decimated the last few years. Indie scene is fairly healthy though.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 2:28 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Source?

Have you ever noticed a peach running through the credits at the end of many blockbusters? That means they are shot in Georgia (USA, not the eastern block country!). This is certainly true of ALL of the Marvel movies and many more. I see the casting calls for extras all the time locally!

I think if you actually research this (which, I admit, I haven't), you'll find that, although UK involvement is still pretty good, fewer movies are made there every year!
The source is I worked in the entertainment industry in the UK for the past 15 years, so I've either been heavily involved with this stuff in the past, working in a crew from a TV/production perspective.

Whilst you're correct that *some* Marvel movies have recently been shot at Pinewood Studios Atlanta, the huge bulk were actually shot at Shepperton Studios - UK (Thor, Avengers, Guardians 1.etc), with other big movies (Alice 1/2, Star Wars, Beauty and the beast, Cinderella, James Bond) being spread across Shepperton and/or Pinewood - again both in the UK.

Leavesden studios north of London does a sizeable chunk of the DC/WB movies (being owned by them) - just completing Wonder Woman. Suicide Squad was done at Pinewood Studios Toronto.

3Mills, Twickenham and Elstree are also bustling in the London area with various TV shows for ABC, indie movies and music videos respectively - and then there are a ton of smaller studios like Longcross, Ealing, Black Island and Wimbledon picking up the over-spill (when another studio runs out of stage space) nicely.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the UK is the home of film as that's obviously not true - Atlanta, New Orleans, Toronto and even South Africa have facilities and cottage industries, but the UK does an amazing job of punching above its weight for media and a terrible job on promoting it.

Re: video games, appears I was wrong so I stand corrected on that front!
Old Aug 30th 2016, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justgoingtoaskadvice

And now on to my final question, I hope that nothing in this post is considered naive or entitled, I really do not want to study in the United Kingdom in a university; I'm beginning to be resigned to the fact that I am going to have to and I appreciate that there is a student loans system however the idea of paying so much money to study at university seems preposterous to me but this seems to be the only option. Are degrees in Computer Science legitimate in other countries? Would a degree in Computer Science be valued much in other countries?

Edit: I don't think studying in the United States/Canada is an option.
I can only give anecdotal advice, but here is my opinion. Just to set the scene I am faculty at one of the ivy league schools here in the US, and am asked regularly for advice from UK citizens wanting to jump across the pond to study in the US. I always say the same thing:

If you complete your studies in the UK, then come to the US on whatever visa you can qualify for, you will be younger, better educated, in less debt, and more 'worldly' than many of your US counterparts. Yes you will have to network like hell to persuade a company to hire you over a US citizen who can start the next day and does not require (very difficult to get) visas. Visas are another story.. If you really want to help your case in moving to the US, get a PhD in computer science, this will strengthen your case I feel.

Good luck.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My advice is to make "moving to the USA" a 5 to 10 year goal/program. I don't know where the best location would be to get your higher education, but once you figure that out, go for it and get at least a bachelor's degree. Then find employment with an international company that has a presence in the USA and work your way up to getting transferred over.

Rene
Moving to Canada first is also something to seriously consider. University fees in Canada are much lower for international students than they are in the US. Canada is also easier to get into for employment purposes. Obtaining Canadian citizenship will allow much easier access to the US - not only in terms of long term visiting but also in terms of employment via the TN visa provision of NAFTA. Of course long term goals can be derailed by unforeseen changes e.g. NAFTA changes are possible.