Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving UK to USA - are there any electricals we can bring?

Moving UK to USA - are there any electricals we can bring?

Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving UK to USA - are there any electricals we can bring?

Originally Posted by Mick1935
You must not be married!
I am! And a curly girl myself.
Can't imagine battling this mop.. I'd need a steam press!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAalltheway
I appreciate that the power supply in the UK is 220-240v @ 50hz while the power supply in the US is 110-120v @ 60hz. However, I have heard that certain electrical items will still work with an adaptor plug.
FWIW, there are other differences besides the voltage and frequency. The North American system is what is called "split phase" -- which has the habit of using more wire. So, although it is possible to get a 220v circuit, it is by a different wiring method. Also, items that run on 220v will be partially 220v and partially 110v. So, even of one sets up a US 220v circuit, a European 220v item may not like it.

An item unique to the UK is the "ring circuit." This saves wire, but it is actually more dangerous -- it is the reason that UK plugs and outlets are the humongoous fused and switched creatures that they are. In contrast, the plugs and outlets used here in the US are more dangerous but the circuitry is generally safer -- pick your poison, I guess.

There has been mention of electric kettles, a general rule that is the one appliance that you will probably not like the 120v versions.

If you or DH like to fiddle with the installed wiring, it pays to remember that wiring color scheme is quite different -- in the US, the BLACK wire is LIVE. One should kill the circuit anyways at the main box -- but not everyone does so.

BTW, many of the differences are historical legacies. One place you will see this in the tariff system for mobile phone service -- and I will not get into that one.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

USAalltheway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
FWIW, there are other differences besides the voltage and frequency. The North American system is what is called "split phase" -- which has the habit of using more wire. So, although it is possible to get a 220v circuit, it is by a different wiring method. Also, items that run on 220v will be partially 220v and partially 110v. So, even of one sets up a US 220v circuit, a European 220v item may not like it.

An item unique to the UK is the "ring circuit." This saves wire, but it is actually more dangerous -- it is the reason that UK plugs and outlets are the humongoous fused and switched creatures that they are. In contrast, the plugs and outlets used here in the US are more dangerous but the circuitry is generally safer -- pick your poison, I guess.

There has been mention of electric kettles, a general rule that is the one appliance that you will probably not like the 120v versions.

If you or DH like to fiddle with the installed wiring, it pays to remember that wiring color scheme is quite different -- in the US, the BLACK wire is LIVE. One should kill the circuit anyways at the main box -- but not everyone does so.

BTW, many of the differences are historical legacies. One place you will see this in the tariff system for mobile phone service -- and I will not get into that one.
Now THAT is a thorough explanation! Many thanks. Maybe something for the wiki?
Old Feb 11th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

About buying a new vacuum, I would recommend getting a Miele like this one or similar, I just bought one and it's hands down the best vacuum I've ever had.

I've had several upright style ones through the years, including a rather groovy pink and purple Dyson. While it looked good it was rather cumbersome to use and did not live up to the hype, I needed to replace the hose which had torn after very little use. After coming here I bought a couple of cheap vacuums at around $100, they were pretty useless.

Then I sucked it up and spent $400 on a Miele canister, I LOVE it! it's unbelievably light and so not a problem to carry up and down the stairs.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
About buying a new vacuum, I would recommend getting a Miele like this one or similar, I just bought one and it's hands down the best vacuum I've ever had.

I've had several upright style ones through the years, including a rather groovy pink and purple Dyson. While it looked good it was rather cumbersome to use and did not live up to the hype, I needed to replace the hose which had torn after very little use. After coming here I bought a couple of cheap vacuums at around $100, they were pretty useless.

Then I sucked it up and spent $400 on a Miele canister, I LOVE it! it's unbelievably light and so not a problem to carry up and down the stairs.
Good practical advice!
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:26 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I have fallen in love with my robot vacuum cleaner. I may buy it a valentines card.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
I have fallen in love with my robot vacuum cleaner. I may buy it a valentines card.
I looked at those, but figured it wouldn't know the difference between a Goldfish and a piece of Lego
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:16 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at those, but figured it wouldn't know the difference between a Goldfish and a piece of Lego
Well I've only had it since Monday, but so far so good. The only thing it sucked up was a hairslide and that was still in one piece and easy to get out when I emptied it.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've had Roombas for about 5 years. I keep one upstairs and one downstairs. No carpets...hardly any rugs and no kids to leave bits of lego around.

my Roomba.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And to think they make $15B off the government blowing things up
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've had Roombas for about 5 years. I keep one upstairs and one downstairs. No carpets...hardly any rugs and no kids to leave bits of lego around.

my Roomba.
My dog thought he had out witted it as he laid on the rug, presuming it couldn't get onto it. He was so confident he closed his eyes and turned his back to it. It raised it's little legs, climbed on the rug and bounced his bum! I think it may be a dalek.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weeze
My dog thought he had out witted it as he laid on the rug, presuming it couldn't get onto it. He was so confident he closed his eyes and turned his back to it. It raised it's little legs, climbed on the rug and bounced his bum! I think it may be a dalek.

My two little dogs look down their noses at it and walk slowly away.