Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving UK to USA - are there any electricals we can bring?

Moving UK to USA - are there any electricals we can bring?

Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving UK to USA - are there any electricals we can bring?

The wiki has a suggestion.

Dyson over here don't use a Dyson motor, it's a Mitsubishi motor under license because of the power thing. I wouldn't bother bring it...you can get a refurb for half price anyway.

Kitchen appliances, sell them and buy new, anything that uses a lot of current will need a meaty transformer and generally won't work nearly as well.

Sewing machines, they're dirt cheap over here, so unless you have a sentimental attachment, you'll be able to buy a much better unit for less over here....the little old dears are mental about their sewing here.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
The wiki has a suggestion.

Dyson over here don't use a Dyson motor, it's a Mitsubishi motor under license because of the power thing. I wouldn't bother bring it...you can get a refurb for half price anyway.

Kitchen appliances, sell them and buy new, anything that uses a lot of current will need a meaty transformer and generally won't work nearly as well.

Sewing machines, they're dirt cheap over here, so unless you have a sentimental attachment, you'll be able to buy a much better unit for less over here....the little old dears are mental about their sewing here.
My Wife is 66 YOA, she can make a dress that looks like it is made by a fashion designer!

When she was out of town, so I sneeked out and bought her a new one, more modern. Took at least 20 minutes... To talk her in to it.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:47 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by USAalltheway
Hey guys, this was an honest thread about electrical items. Suggest we move the GHD/Google argument to a new "Passive Agressive power struggles" thread.
Ian does like to be abrasive for no reason.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:48 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I Googled "GHD" and the first non-paid link was the right one! I'm guessing you didn't even try because you prefer to take a passive, rather than active, role in your own education.

Ian
Yes I know its the first link, but how did you know it was the right one before the poster told you?
You really need to stop being an A1 Prat for no reason, Ian.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Volt61
Ian does like to be abrasive for no reason.
Whereas name calling........
Old Feb 6th 2011, 1:04 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

This subject has been addressed on BE many, many dozens of times in the past. Yet again and again, out of the goodness of their hearts people give up their spare time to help out a newbie who can't be arsed to Google. It's a bit rich when people still get shitty when this is pointed out.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 2:47 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I gave away the dyson, hairdryer and straighteners. Brought all the kitchen stuff and use them with a transformer (robots in disguise). Bought a new kettle, toaster, vacuum cleaner over here. Also bought US tv but still use UK one with a transformer for wii etc.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

USAalltheway is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions and for all the spare time spent asking an (obviously) silly girl's questions.

I have called the manufacturers for a number of the electrical items including the the Dyson vaccuum, Brother sewing machine and Dualit kitchen items. They all very helpfully have refused comment on using these items in the US as they wouldn't recommend the appliances be used outside of the country they were purchased in.

So quite a bit of research has been done - 6 months in fact!
Old Feb 6th 2011, 11:59 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
This subject has been addressed on BE many, many dozens of times in the past. Yet again and again, out of the goodness of their hearts people give up their spare time to help out a newbie who can't be arsed to Google. It's a bit rich when people still get shitty when this is pointed out.
What he said +1.

Quick use of the Search facility:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=electric

- I think that took me all of 2 minutes to find.

We're not an unfriendly bunch, really, we just get a little snarky when other people get snarky about us getting snarky because sometimes we can't understand why people don't use Google in this day and age.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAalltheway
Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions and for all the spare time spent asking an (obviously) silly girl's questions.

I have called the manufacturers for a number of the electrical items including the the Dyson vaccuum, Brother sewing machine and Dualit kitchen items. They all very helpfully have refused comment on using these items in the US as they wouldn't recommend the appliances be used outside of the country they were purchased in.

So quite a bit of research has been done - 6 months in fact!
Make sure you check out your homeowners/insurance policy...using electrical appliances from the UK with a transformer may void the policy in case of a fire. Remember houses in the US tend to burn to the ground in a matter of minutes.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Why bother - the Dysons do have good suction but ergonomically they are crap - I can't believe that I paid almost $500 for a vacuum cleaner that didn't even have a retractable power cord. I got fed up with mine after a couple of years, got rid of it at a yard sale and got a much more usable replacement from Sears for less than half the price.
Our Dyson has been fine - it was a wedding present ten years ago. Had to replace the handle though when I knocked it over and it broke - ten quid off ebay. Never really thought about retractable power cords - do hoovers come with those nowadays? Think if I was replacing the Dyson I'd get a Roomba robot thing.

OP, I recently bought a Brother sewing machine off Amazon - model CS6000i. I love it. Think I paid $170 dollars for it, but I see it's even cheaper now.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
Our Dyson has been fine - it was a wedding present ten years ago. Had to replace the handle though when I knocked it over and it broke - ten quid off ebay. Never really thought about retractable power cords - do hoovers come with those nowadays? Think if I was replacing the Dyson I'd get a Roomba robot thing.
Retractable is convenient, but tends to be less long lasting, more parts. Plus the reason Dyson doesn't have one, nor many others, it's less stress on the power cord so it doesn't break as easily. Plus it's not like it takes more than a few seconds to turn the hook up top to release the whole cable and a few more to wind it back up by hand.

We've had our refurb for 7 years now and it's still going strong. Also at the time, it was much lighter and easier to use than the Hoover the in-laws had and the Electrolux one we were using before the Dyson.

They're probably all much of muchness these days though now that the Dyson patent expired.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
We're not an unfriendly bunch, really, we just get a little snarky when other people get snarky about us getting snarky because sometimes we can't understand why people don't use Google in this day and age.
Although half the posts in this thread wouldn't be here if the first person had replied with the answer
Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rallybug
Although half the posts in this thread wouldn't be here if the first person had replied with the answer
There you go!
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:06 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
You seem to forget that BE is not staffed by some bunch of pixels that are hanging around in the netherworld waiting to churn out answers to whatever questions arise, again and again. In general BE attracts volunteers who give up their time to help people, and even better we like helping people who also help themselves.

By the way, I'm sure JG (the first person to reply) is very sorry she didn't know the exact answer to the original question. How very unprofessional.

However your comment makes no sense anyway as the snarkiness arose from post #9 onwards, and nothing to do with the original poster. If my experience if someone comes on here and acts like a prat they'll get treated like one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.