Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving UK to USA - are there any electricals we can bring?

Moving UK to USA - are there any electricals we can bring?

Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

USAalltheway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving UK to USA - are there any electricals we can bring?

DH and I are moving through to Boston in April and just trying to sort out packing - specifically what electrical items we can bring.

I appreciate that the power supply in the UK is 220-240v @ 50hz while the power supply in the US is 110-120v @ 60hz. However, I have heard that certain electrical items will still work with an adaptor plug.

I am in love with my sewing machine, Dyson vacuum and Dualit kitchen items (toaster, hand mixer, hand blender) in particular so am hoping they might work in the US with an adaptor! Does anyone have any experience with this?

If not, someone is going to be the recipient a few very nice household goods!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving UK to USA - are there any electricals we can bring?

Originally Posted by USAalltheway
DH and I are moving through to Boston in April and just trying to sort out packing - specifically what electrical items we can bring.

I appreciate that the power supply in the UK is 220-240v @ 50hz while the power supply in the US is 110-120v @ 60hz. However, I have heard that certain electrical items will still work with an adaptor plug.

I am in love with my sewing machine, Dyson vacuum and Dualit kitchen items (toaster, hand mixer, hand blender) in particular so am hoping they might work in the US with an adaptor! Does anyone have any experience with this?

If not, someone is going to be the recipient a few very nice household goods!
You would certainly need a plug adaptor but the big problem is the voltage. Unless the items are dual voltage it's generally not worth the bringing them. Electronic items are pretty cheap here.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that works over here is my GHD's with an adapter. Anything else, there's not enough voltage and the power just ain't there. I wasted time bringing my steam generator iron, hand blender etc, and they work, but the iron took a day to heat up and the blender just takes forever. My advice, sell off all the items you've got and buy them new over here, although be prepared, Dysons are anything from $299 - $599 over here, depending on the model.

Good luck with the move, I love Boston and I'm sure you will too
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:49 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Small things (e.g. toothbrush/cellphone chargers) that you can't do without or are rare and that don't require a lot of power will be fine with an adapter, but anything large will not work or work right as the power here is weaker.

Kitchen items/appliances, TV's, irons - its best to buy them here & they are better here too.

Your sewing machine, vacuum cleaner will most likely not work or work right here.
You might be OK with your Dualit items.

Why not ask the manufacturers if they will work right over here? That will take away any doubt for you.

I sold all my stuff on Gumtree & ebay before leaving (sold car only 2 day before I left!).
I also gave some stuff away too, to friends and various charities.

I brought over an office shredder and a pc.
The shredder labors to work right and the PC would not work without a new power supply.

I have a good source for adapters if you can't find one.

Last edited by Volt61; Feb 4th 2011 at 12:56 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:57 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Brat1
GHD's
What's this please?
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Volt61
What's this please?
Google is your friend.

Ian
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What's this please?
I'm guessing hair straigheners. I'm also guessing that they are dual voltage (many hair appliances bought in the UK are) or they wouldn't reach the max heat.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

What's this please?
Sorry, hair straighteners!!!!! Can't live without them
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Google is your friend.
A 3 letter word could mean a lot of things so wading through 9,900,000 links is not a good use of anyone's time.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brat1
Sorry, hair straighteners!!!!! Can't live without them
Thanks everyone. I wrote to Dyson to get their thoughts but sounds like most things will be finding a new home.

I just discovered my sewing machine's electrical wire unhooks and looks modular, so might be able to get a replacement in the US. Happy days!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Most computers will work here. Look on the adapter of a laptop. It should say 100-240vs. For a desktop, see if it has a switch to change over. Ours did. Lamps will work, just change the plug but remember you can't get bayonet type bulbs here (thank goodness, dreadful things). I wouldn't bother to bring any appliances of any sort. Toasters take forever!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

A 3 letter word could mean a lot of things so wading through 9,900,000 links is not a good use of anyone's time.
However ghd on a google search comes up as hairstraighteners as top choice
People here are really glad to help as long as some research has been done. Isn't there a wiki on here somewhere for appliances you can bring over
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Strange...there's loads of links on the first page starting at link #1...you should try it sometime.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
However ghd on a google search comes up as hairstraighteners as top choice
People here are really glad to help as long as some research has been done. Isn't there a wiki on here somewhere for appliances you can bring over
Hi Lisa - yes had a look at the wiki but it was slightly vague so thought engaging with people directly would be more useful. But a great start nonetheless!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAalltheway
Hi Lisa - yes had a look at the wiki but it was slightly vague so thought engaging with people directly would be more useful. But a great start nonetheless!
Electrical items are pretty cheap over here and you can often go to a store and make them an offer if you're buying several appliances. You might want to check at the local post office when you arrive, they used to have books of vouchers with 10% off coupons in them for people who are moving

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.