Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to USA with my 15 year old son

Wikiposts

Moving from UK to USA with my 15 year old son

Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to USA with my 15 year old son

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Not if it's the OP that's getting an employment-related visa

Anyway, it does seem like we're playing in riddles here without the full info.
True and true.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think of that. Even so, getting married to the USC would be the best situation for the kids.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:56 am
Just Joined

karann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Is it you who is getting the transfer?
My partner is a USA citizen and is now working in USA.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karann
My partner is a USA citizen and is now working in USA.
The picture is slowly becoming clearer...you are certainly drip-feeding the info

So you are being transferred through your company?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:11 am
Just Joined

I am not 'playing in riddles'', as you say! Thank you all for taking the time to comment on here, regarding my question, especially those who actually answered my question, but as I said before, my query was nothing to do with visas, but advice on my son settling into a school in USA! I have a very good immigration lawyer dealing with the visa applications.

I think I will try else where...
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I am not 'playing in riddles'', as you say! Thank you all for taking the time to comment on here, regarding my question, especially those who actually answered my question, but as I said before, my query was nothing to do with visas, but advice on my son settling into a school in USA! I have a very good immigration lawyer dealing with the visa applications.

Why are you so touchy about it?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

kyotokids is an unknown quantity at this point

My kids were G3, G6 and G7 when I moved here, they were experienced ex-pats so coped well with the adjustment. Now my eldest is in G9 (Uk Y10) first year of high school, high school is 4 years and has ongoing exams/tests but nothing like GCSEs and Alevels, at 18 the kids graduate with a much broader range of studies but don't have the in-depth knowledge of a subject that you get with A levels. This could have the potential to limit UK university options (in my experience a US High School diploma may not be valued that highly by some admissions offices at UK Unis (though there are entry exams you can take to counter that).

Also another good point made by a previous poster was the cost of Uni here. In the UK its not cheap now (up to 9000 GBP) but on our current visa we may have to pay out of state fees, if we get a GC we will be able to get in-state fees but these are still more than many UK Unis, if we send our kids to the UK they will not qualify as EU residents and we will have to pay Overseas Students rates.

Going back to the UK is not an option for us, my eldest is Y10 (Grade 9) and hasn't done any GCSE work at all, my youngest has never been schooled in the UK and it would be cruel to throw her in. We are lucky we have a new local IB school which they will all go to, IB is recognized by Universities internationally and so gives more options for Uni. Maybe there is one in the area you are moving to.

I'm sure you'll all do fine, just make sure you know what you want for the future and plan accordingly.

People aren't being unhelpful but so often on forums people come up asking for specific info when they haven't even sorted the basics and have no chance of getting here at all, also people don't take the time to research the past posts and members see the same questions coming up again and again. No one wants to give misleading information and the best way to be sure you are informing people correctly is to get as much info as possible.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kyotokids
My kids were G3, G6 and G7 when I moved here, they were experienced ex-pats so coped well with the adjustment. Now my eldest is in G9 (Uk Y10) first year of high school, high school is 4 years and has ongoing exams/tests but nothing like GCSEs and Alevels, at 18 the kids graduate with a much broader range of studies but don't have the in-depth knowledge of a subject that you get with A levels. This could have the potential to limit UK university options (in my experience a US High School diploma may not be valued that highly by some admissions offices at UK Unis (though there are entry exams you can take to counter that).

Also another good point made by a previous poster was the cost of Uni here. In the UK its not cheap now (up to 9000 GBP) but on our current visa we may have to pay out of state fees, if we get a GC we will be able to get in-state fees but these are still more than many UK Unis, if we send our kids to the UK they will not qualify as EU residents and we will have to pay Overseas Students rates.

Going back to the UK is not an option for us, my eldest is Y10 (Grade 9) and hasn't done any GCSE work at all, my youngest has never been schooled in the UK and it would be cruel to throw her in. We are lucky we have a new local IB school which they will all go to, IB is recognized by Universities internationally and so gives more options for Uni. Maybe there is one in the area you are moving to.

I'm sure you'll all do fine, just make sure you know what you want for the future and plan accordingly.

People aren't being unhelpful but so often on forums people come up asking for specific info when they haven't even sorted the basics and have no chance of getting here at all, also people don't take the time to research the past posts and members see the same questions coming up again and again. No one wants to give misleading information and the best way to be sure you are informing people correctly is to get as much info as possible.
Thanks very much for taking the time to send me so much relevant info - much appreciated!

Could you tell me what an 'IB' school is, please?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I am not 'playing in riddles'', as you say! Thank you all for taking the time to comment on here, regarding my question, especially those who actually answered my question, but as I said before, my query was nothing to do with visas, but advice on my son settling into a school in USA!
Your children's future education is not unrelated to their visa status, both financially and otherwise. For example, lack of a visa that enables employment can be a big problem for high school students and college students who wish or need to work. A friend of mine's eldest son felt very much on the outside socially because all his friends had part-time jobs and he couldn't legally work. Stuff like that can be really important in terms of settling into a new school in a new country. And as others have mentioned, their visa status may have an effect on tuition costs and financial aid.

Anyway, that's my last contribution to this thread.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that it is very difficult to provide useful advice without knowing what exactly is it that you are seeking to do.

You want to know about people's experiences of moving to the US with a 15 year old but you didn't provide any of the following very relevant information:
  • Is this a temporary move or do you intend it to become permanent?
  • Do you or your children want to become US citizens?
  • Is it likely that your 15 year old is going to want to go to college or university?
  • If so, in which country?
  • Do you know or care how much your 15 year old's college education might cost in either the US or the UK?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Info on IB and a school search can be found here http://www.ibo.org/

As stated above visa status does matter, on our visas none of our kids are allowed to work.

Last edited by kyotokids; Nov 5th 2011 at 11:51 am. Reason: factual error
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Should you come back, I would be curious to know what visa you are applying for?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kyotokids
Info on IB and a school search can be found here http://www.ibo.org/

As stated above visa status does matter, on our visas none of our kids are allowed to work and I can only work PT.
The IB was going to be introduced at our school but was a victim of budget cuts. Something to be aware of.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Yep, that was my concern, funding is currently secured for the first three years, after that the school should have enough students that the costs are covered by the income.

It's in its first year, filling up one grade at a time, my eldest is in the first intake. It's worth the risk, she was in IB for 4 years prior to moving to the US and after two years in school here wasn't going to miss the opportunity to get back into IB.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The visa and your son's educational and further career opportunities are linked together. If your son is going to be a permenant resident or USC, his opportunities and outlook will be different from someone who is, for example, a child in L2 status. However wonderful your lawyer is, s/he cannot change these differences.

Last edited by fatbrit; Nov 5th 2011 at 12:30 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.