Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to USA with my 15 year old son

Wikiposts

Moving from UK to USA with my 15 year old son

Old Nov 5th 2011, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to USA with my 15 year old son

Originally Posted by karann
Thank you for your reply - it was very helpful. I have all of my children's school reports, so that'll hopefully deal with the transcript issue.

We are also intending to come back to England,as much as possible, so we can visit friends and family.

Luckily, both my boys are keen at sports, so from what you said, that is very positive!

Thanks again.
You might want to bring copies of their syllabuses (syllabii?) and sample pieces of work as well, a report doesn't give that much information and it doesn't translate readily into the US system.

What others have said about the visas is also very important.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 9:40 am
Just Joined

karann is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You don't say whether the children are also your partner's and thus already US citizens. If they're not, then it makes things more complicated in terms of whether they'll be able to work, even in a part-time job, on whatever visa they are coming over on.

The biggest issue you're probably going to have to deal with is the education of your children. If they are thinking of going to college, then you need to think about whether their UK education can transfer to fulfilling whatever requirements are needed here. There is no equivalent to GCSEs, for example, and much more emphasis is placed on what classes you have taken, and what grades you have got, over a period of years. The closer you get to college age when your children move, the more tricky it becomes. But if you use the search function, you'll see that people have done it.
Thank you for your reply.

My goodness, it's all so confusing! I would have thought, what with so many people moving to and from USA, it would be a bit more straightforward i.e. converting grades etc. I am all for letting my son finish his GCSEs here in England and then move to USA afterwards, but it's not that straightforward.

As he's 15 (born in 1996), in the UK he is in Year 11; I am presuming that he would go into 10th Grade in USA, if he started in a school before the end of this school year. Can anyone confirm to me, what is the final year in a USA high school (in UK it is at age 16 in Year 11 and then they can stay on to the 6th form to do A levels)?

By the way, my partner is a US citizen.

Thanks.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 9:43 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Sally Redux;9716702]My kids were a bit younger. I met someone whose daughter was 16 when they moved, and she said she had to try to get the work done in the UK recognized by the school here as being of the same standard, so that it could be shown on the transcript.

Do you know how the 16 year old daughter got on, in USA?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You might want to bring copies of their syllabuses (syllabii?) and sample pieces of work as well, a report doesn't give that much information and it doesn't translate readily into the US system.

What others have said about the visas is also very important.
Thank you for that information - I will contact my sons school in the UK to get that information.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, my partner is a US citizen.

Thanks.
Just curious, you keep using the term "partner". Are you married to your partner and what is the relationship of your partner to your children.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My kids were a bit younger. I met someone whose daughter was 16 when they moved, and she said she had to try to get the work done in the UK recognized by the school here as being of the same standard, so that it could be shown on the transcript.

Do you know how the 16 year old daughter got on, in USA?
I've lost touch with the family now I'm afraid.

High school generally runs from grade 9-12, age 14-18.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Just curious, you keep using the term "partner". Are you married to your partner and what is the relationship of your partner to your children.
It would certainly be easier for people to offer advice if full information were given upfront.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 9:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It would certainly be easier for people to offer advice if full information were given upfront.
Exactly...at the moment there are so many ifs and buts.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Sorry! No, we are not married, but have been together for several years. And no, he isn't the father of my children.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:03 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry! No, we are not married, but have been together for several years. And no, he isn't the father of my children.
That changes everything. Partner means nothing to US immigration, how will you get here?
We will be doing the opposite and moving one school age child to UK. My middle one is grade 12 right now, here they have to pass an exit exam (which was super east according to both my boys) and have earned enough credit points to graduate (each class is a set number of points so if they attend regularly and pass the classes they get to graduate)
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

I deleted my post when I thought you were married to a USc and they were his children. Just a few words:

Check out the cost of college a) in the US if the children are not USCs or Green Card holders, and b) in England if you don't meet residency requirements.

They are both huge amounts of money and you can quite easily be stuck with not qualifying for cheaper fees in either country.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to be married if you want to live in the US. You don't say how old your youngest is but you will probably need written permission from their father to leave the UK.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You will have to be married if you want to live in the US. You don't say how old your youngest is but you will probably need written permission from their father to leave the UK.
My youngest son is 12 years old and yes, I have written permission from their father to leave UK.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My youngest son is 12 years old and yes, I have written permission from their father to leave UK.
Is it you who is getting the transfer?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You will have to be married if you want to live in the US.
Not if it's the OP that's getting an employment-related visa

Anyway, it does seem like we're playing in riddles here without the full info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.