Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from the UK to the USA - Business related question!

Moving from the UK to the USA - Business related question!

Old Aug 31st 2003, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

britmoving is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from the UK to the USA - Business related question!

Wonderful forum! Good to see so many people here...

I live in England and own a small Ltd company for my small business. It's Internet related, nothing exciting or fancy.

I am marrying a girl from North Carolina and will be moving over there next year - hopefully! (I am still reading up on the Visa things....so my questions about that will come after much more research!)

My question today concerns my business. Has anyone kept their UK business and moved over to the States and operated it from there? Or do people recommend I close my UK Ltd business and open a USA one?

I'm just curious about taxes and what would work out cheaper and possibly easier.

For me, the easiest thing to do is just keep my Ltd company and trade over there... is that possible does anyone know or has anyone been in a similar situation to me?

And yes, I've asked my accountant. He says keep the UK and move over there - but PRACTICALLY speaking (from the USA point of view) is that the best thing to do?

Thank you so much
Old Aug 31st 2003, 8:40 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Seeing as nobody else has ventured a suggestion and I know next to nothing about British ltd stuff, my suggestion is contacting an attorney in NC. Laws etc vary from state to state.

Lts of luck!
Old Sep 1st 2003, 1:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from the UK to the USA - Business related question!

Originally posted by britmoving
......My question today concerns my business. Has anyone kept their UK business and moved over to the States and operated it from there? Or do people recommend I close my UK Ltd business and open a USA one? ......
I did look into registering a business here, in the US, and I think that even if you keep your UK "Ltd" you'll still have to register it locally, the same as if you have a foreign company and want to use it to trade in the UK you have to register it with Companies House.

I'd close your UK company and open a local one here.

Where in NC will you be moving to? .... I'm in Charlotte.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 1st 2003 at 1:40 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

britmoving is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks BrigieDarling and Pulaski!

Pulaski - Hopefully to Asheville. I need to move near-ish to Statesville (a few hours away I believe) so that would be ideal as it looks like a very "cosmopolitan" place....

My fiancé knows the area better than me as I've only visited it once - although planning a much longer stay in February/March next year

Thanks for your suggestion - I think I may keep my UK business going to pay off my outstanding UK loans (!) but register for a business license in North Carolina. I will need to get a Ltd equivalent - did you find it expensive/complicated?
Old Sep 1st 2003, 2:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by britmoving
Thanks BrigieDarling and Pulaski!

Pulaski - Hopefully to Asheville. I need to move near-ish to Statesville (a few hours away I believe) so that would be ideal as it looks like a very "cosmopolitan" place....

My fiancé knows the area better than me as I've only visited it once - although planning a much longer stay in February/March next year

Thanks for your suggestion - I think I may keep my UK business going to pay off my outstanding UK loans (!) but register for a business license in North Carolina. I will need to get a Ltd equivalent - did you find it expensive/complicated?
I didn't actually form a company in the end. But it seems to be quite cheap, especially if you go down the LLC route which seems to be desigened for small (owner managed) businesses and easy to do, fill in a few forms and pay the fee (which is also due annually) and you're away.

So far as "cosmopolitan" goes, that is not a word that is obviously applicable to anywhere in NC, with the possible exception of the "Triangle" area. Charlotte tries, but it still has a fair way to go.

Asheville is one hunded miles from Statesville, is that nearish enough? It's an easy drive though, straight along I40.