Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to USA

Moving from UK to USA

Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to USA

Originally Posted by Volt61
I think Cliff means Finance not Fiance?
My concern is due to Epilepsy it is very hard to get insurances just like at present Travel Insurance.
very few employers get the approach as everyone suffers the same which i explained earlier they do not.
But most employers will think of their security!
What happens if some form of injury happened while he was in work?
Insurance they have to pay out!
He may be in Mon, Tues, not well Wed, back in work thursday out on friday.
We cannot rely on a person with epilepsy to be reliable on attending work.

This is true if you suffer with more of Tonic Clonic seizures (Grand Mal)

For myself it is not, i could suffer with themm and you would not even know.

But it is FINANCE / MONEY i have to be concerned about bringing in to help with utilities costs etc.
So i need to be confident that someone will employ me before i move.
I have experienced this problem for over 25 years in the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff1961
My concern is due to Epilepsy it is very hard to get insurances just like at present Travel Insurance.
very few employers get the approach as everyone suffers the same which i explained earlier they do not.
But most employers will think of their security!
What happens if some form of injury happened while he was in work?
Insurance they have to pay out!
He may be in Mon, Tues, not well Wed, back in work thursday out on friday.
We cannot rely on a person with epilepsy to be reliable on attending work.

This is true if you suffer with more of Tonic Clonic seizures (Grand Mal)

For myself it is not, i could suffer with themm and you would not even know.

But it is FINANCE / MONEY i have to be concerned about bringing in to help with utilities costs etc.
I have experienced this problem for over 25 years in the UK.
You seem to be saying that the epilepsy is well-controlled but the you have had employment problems in the UK. I am not sure that the position would be any different in the US.

What kind of work are you looking to do?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:58 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

I think you have to be very careful with declaring disabilities.
If you don't tell potential employers of your disability, which by law employers can't ask you to reveal (unless its a job that requires you to work with machinery or driving, etc., and that some disabilities could affect such jobs), you could be fine and nothing ever comes up.

If you tell them voluntarily, you are leaving the person interviewing you to decide if your variant of epilepsy is going to be a problem and its not often that those interviewing potential staff have a good grasp of any one disability, never mind all of them.

I know someone who had this exact same quandary, with a different disability and they chose not to say anything. Nothing has happened so far.

Missing time from work because of health conditions is going to have the same type of consequences here as in the UK.

Also, I don't think you can get a general assurance of employment before emigrating, unless you have some special or rare skill that the USA employer cannot find in the USA and would be happy to pay for you to fly over for interviewing.

Last edited by Volt61; Feb 1st 2011 at 5:01 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no Fear of discussing my health in an interview for a job and there are times you have to do it,it may pay to discuss it in which to give a more detail description that there is more than one kind of seizure.

No two people suffer the same, and everyone in the world will suffer from a seizure whether they realise what it is or not.

Just like my travel Insurance, i have declared it, therefore i am covered for everything other than epilepsy.

I was a voluntary worker for an Epilepsy support group for many years until it closed due to lack of funds, and has increased my knowledge.

Just hope i can get a driving license also, if i have a job i require a car to get back and for.

Not sure what working from home is like over here in Texas.
I have interest in computers, which guides me in the right path.

My main skills had been carpentry & joinery years ago but was all a waste of time as no one would employ me working with power tools.
But my health has improoved 90%
Old Feb 1st 2011, 6:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there will be no guarantees as to your employability in the USA. If you are not willing to take the risk on immigrating before finding employment, then you should look into having your fiance move to the UK instead.

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think there will be no guarantees as to your employability in the USA. If you are not willing to take the risk on immigrating before finding employment, then you should look into having your fiance move to the UK instead.

Rene
Thinking outloud... of course, US moving to UK will require him to show sufficient UK income to sponsor her. His need for a job will be more pressing for that move.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My main skills had been carpentry & joinery years ago but was all a waste of time as no one would employ me working with power tools.
But my health has improoved 90%
I don't know if there's something similar down your way, but I know down here, there's a special guild/certification type thingy for carpenters skilled in hand tools and old school carpentry who are used in the old grade listed type homes on the Cape, they make really good coin too, but certification isn't cheap apparently.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:23 am
Just Joined

mrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nicemrandmrssunshine is just really nice

Just new to the site, this being my first forum.
I am currently living in Wales, UK. Over the past few years my Fiance' and i have found it hard to make a decision who is going to move where.
Will she move to the UK or myself move to Texas, USA. One thing that puts me off moving is the High cost of health Insurance in USA. Anyone from UK made this decision and moved and what was their final conclusion ? Anyone have any advice i would greatly appreciate it!
Hi there, Cliff

Well I can tell you my experience...

We have just moved to the US. Understanding the different types of Health insurance premiums available is a task by itself!

I have been looking into it for the past month. I am in perfect health with no pre-existing conditions.

You can get short term cover here, which I had a quote for around $80 per month.

Quotes i have had so far for myself and my husband (who is also in perfect health) have been around the $450 mark for both of us, However that is paying out a substantial excess, which they call a deductable in the US and 90% reimbursement.

Like you, it was the one big thing that put me off moving here. I am still looking into it and now have an Agent looking at it for me.

I have received an email off her this morning telling me that she can't get any cover for me because I have to reside here for between 6-12 months before anyone will cover me! I am finding this hard to believe so am going to start looking again myself.

The other option I am going to look at which you might like to consider for the short term, is to get travel insurance in the UK which covers you for a long term trip (i.e like what people going travelling take out).

If you do this, make sure they cover the USA as a lot of UK travel insurance companies cover worldwide Excluding the USA (I can see why!!!)

Hope my experience helps you and good luck!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

janette is on a distinguished road

In fact, I found the same thing - it seems to be true that many companies want you to have been here for some time before covering. I used Patriot America for the first year as they specifically cover new immigrants and the cost isn't too bad. Cover was included when travelling as well.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I have no Fear of discussing my health in an interview for a job and there are times you have to do it,it may pay to discuss it in which to give a more detail description that there is more than one kind of seizure.
What possible reason could there be for discussing your health situation in a job interview? I don't think that you should discuss it at all. If you're competing with other applicants, that could be enough to have you crossed off the list. By simply turning up at a job interview, you are giving the impression that you feel that you are qualified and able to do the job. Don't give anyone any reason to think otherwise.

Of course, you will want to know about health benefits. Simply get that information from the employer and then contact the employer's health insurance company to determine what coverage you will be able to get. That may affect your decision about pursuing the job. But again, definitely don't bring up health issues at the interview stage.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 3rd 2011 at 1:47 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 10:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrandmrssunshine

I have received an email off her this morning telling me that she can't get any cover for me because I have to reside here for between 6-12 months before anyone will cover me! I am finding this hard to believe so am going to start looking again myself.

The other option I am going to look at which you might like to consider for the short term, is to get travel insurance in the UK which covers you for a long term trip (i.e like what people going travelling take out).
She's being dumb and lazy. If you wait that long, you're shafted. At the moment, you can use the NHS as pre cover, so that they can't use a break in cover as an excuse not to cover you. You have that break, then you're basically screwed.

Travel insurance is a waste of money. Long term is also waste of money. It'll cover repatriation costs if it is major, but you'll probably find that they'll void your cover.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury

It isn't the cost that should be a factor in the decision, but can you afford to pay for it.

I don't know what the percentages are but I think the majority get some form of health cover as part of their salary package. Some get 100% cover, but most have to make some sort of contribution towards it. The contribution, either up front and/or at the point of service differs by what the employer offers.

Some of us either are retired, or self employed, and fund our health cover from our own pocket.

Whichever fits your own circumstances, can you afford the cost of health cover to you. If you can't stay in the UK, being here without health cover is tempting a disaster to happen and can easily bankrupt you.

To start off with "COST IS THE FACTOR" unless you know what the cost is you will not know whether you can afford it !
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Volt61

These were my concerns as I have a chronic condition and cannot be without medicine.
Private health insurance for an individual with pre-existing conditions is astronomically high in the USA (more than 3/4 of my monthly salary) & therefore, not feasible.

When I first came to the USA, neither I nor my spouse were able to find work and eventually, I found a charity that gave me free medicine & other health services, which was an absolute life saver.
There are such charities/programs all over the USA and in addition, pharmaceutical companies can put you in touch with various programs that provide very low cost or free medicine and other health care services to you and your spouse if required.

Most people have a health plan through their employer and if you find a job with a reasonably sized company (500 employees or more) their health plans should be affordable for most people and not too dissimilar to what you pay in NI contributions now.

My plan costs me and my spouse about $130 a month.
We then pay $20 for any GP or other medical-based visit.
We also pay a contribution for medicine, which is between $10-25 for 30 days supply depending on the medicine, but you can get some medicine cheaper by shopping around and choosing generics wherever possible.

PM me if you want and I will dig up the info I found.

I cannot guarantee this but I don't think you would be refused medicine if you were in critical need and some medically qualified person knew this.

Hi sorry for the long delay in replying,
I am in the same boat having to take medication everyday as long as i am diagnosed with Epilepsy which i have been for 49 years. the cost of this medication is outstanding in USA and cost nothing in UK.
I appreciate you look up any of the charities that can help in pharmaceutical needs / medication.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sorry for the long delay in replying,
I am in the same boat having to take medication everyday as long as i am diagnosed with Epilepsy which i have been for 49 years. the cost of this medication is outstanding in USA and cost nothing in UK.
I appreciate you look up any of the charities that can help in pharmaceutical needs / medication.
Pharma companies have a program (Prescription Assistance Program) for those on low incomes.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 8th 2011 at 2:45 pm. Reason: to insert link
Old Feb 8th 2011, 3:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

To start off with "COST IS THE FACTOR" unless you know what the cost is you will not know whether you can afford it !
As a great many get it as part of their salary package the cost isn't for them a factor, try reading my complete post.

But pardon me for taking an interest in your question, I'll go do something useful this morning and enjoy my visit to our sewage treatment plant and ignore you from now on.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 8th 2011 at 3:56 pm.